Internet Browser + computer problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Does anyone else have problems with their browser?

I started off on Internet Explorer years ago but lost the ability to view vids and nothing helped!! So I swapped to Firefox and it ran great for a few years but with the odd freeze up.

For the last several years the freeze ups or page hangs have gotten worse but I put up with it. Recently I have started selling stuff on ebay and the last day or two it has been playing up big time and not letting many features work or even the ability to sign in!! I get repeated 'unresponsive scripts' and 'firefox has stopped working' and also 'flash player has crashed'!!!!:tapedshut

So now I am trying Google Chrome and so far so good! Got back full use of ebay and it seems to run a lot smoother with no jerkyness when I scroll down pages or hang ups? I'm hoping this continues as it was becoming a real pain.

So now all I have to figure out is how to stop the key cursor from jumping around mid type and inserting text where I don't want it and why sometimes when I press the , or ' keys it will highlight the entire text just typed and then delete it all with the next key stroke no matter what key pressed:(:tapedshut:rant::bluThinki:yikes::togo::sigh::mad::mad::sulkoff::censored::censored::cussing::cussing:.

Maybe it's the laptop? I have a Sony that is 7 years old or so but this last problem is the worst.

Steve

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Windows and Internet browsers arnt designed to run for years. First try to reset your internet browser back to defaults (look in options), also run updates to update everything.

There are also a million other things to try, but as Ricky mentioned, reinstalling the OS is a 100% fix, unless its hardware related, in which case, you saved yourself a million things to try and you got the answer straight away.

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
Try putting an external usb keyboard and mouse onto laptop and see if this cures the problem. If it does you need to get upto date drivers for your onboard mousepad and keyboard.

If it is only a problem when using a browser try this fix. Click the Start button> click Control Panel> click Hardware> and then click Mouse. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do the following: Uncheck the Hide pointer while typing box.

This is a known problem on dell computers.

I had the same problem and this fix cured it for me.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Good tips on the wonky mouse. Mine is a bit like that. It seems to have a mind of its own so I will try that out. As for browsers. They all seem to let you down in the end. I am on Opera now after going through all the others over the last 15 years or so.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Try putting an external usb keyboard and mouse onto laptop and see if this cures the problem. If it does you need to get upto date drivers for your onboard mousepad and keyboard..."

+1 to this, it sounds to me as if your trackpad is adrift in someway.

Google Chrome is my browser of choice, if nothing else I do not have to instal Adobe flash to watch videos, Chrome handles the flash side of things for you. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Firefox upgraded to version 25 last week and its causing problems for a lot of people, your machine will more than likely have auto upgraded. Download Google Chrome browser and tell us if that runs stable (you should have no problems).

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Have installed Chrome and I love it. No problems all day which before I would waste at least 20mins a day with problems and hangs! Not one flash crash! No jerking and stopping where the screen goes all white while scrolling! Much smoother and faster!

Typing seems a little better but had a few cursor wanders.

I like the way the bookmarks are spread across the top of the screen and the larger refresh button even though it is on the left now!!

Steve.

I'm sold:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE