Nomad by nature or hermit by nature?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad or Hermit?

• Nomad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hermit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

When you bushcraft, and sleep outside more than a few nights, do you like to be at the same spot all the time or move every morning??? :)

Nomad or Hermit...? :wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I move every morning ..... but thats is because of the local bylaws around the brecon beacons. There are many places where you can stop off the trail but only for a single night... no long term camping allowed.

:)
Ed

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Even though I chose Hermit for the poll, I guess I am both. By preference, I travel alone and on occasion I might spend a couple of nights, even three in the same spot, but I prefer to move and explore. There is too much land here to stay in one spot for very long.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Ed said:
I move every morning ..... but thats is because of the local bylaws around the brecon beacons. There are many places where you can stop off the trail but only for a single night... no long term camping allowed.

Ed
Thanks, Ed! :super: I had now idea about that, but I'll know next time I head south ... BTW is that just the brecons or the whole county - would that apply to the Black Mountains too then?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Not too sure about the rest of the country but the Brecon Beacons National Park has designated areas where you can stay a single night..... most of these are unmarked on maps (though some bothys are on the old maps) and it helps to chat to the rangers to point you in the direction of the nearest bothy (I know of 1 but there are apparently more) or campsite..... though if they don't like the look of you expect to be told there arn't any. Some of the local tourist infomation points also have info on these sites.

Ed

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Ed said:
Not too sure about the rest of the country but the Brecon Beacons National Park has designated areas where you can stay a single night..... most of these are unmarked on maps (though some bothys are on the old maps) and it helps to chat to the rangers to point you in the direction of the nearest bothy (I know of 1 but there are apparently more) or campsite..... though if they don't like the look of you expect to be told there arn't any. Some of the local tourist infomation points also have info on these sites.

Ed
Cheers - stayed down there many times but didn't know about the one night thing. So it's the National Park bylaws rather than Powys as a whole - I think the place I go most often isn't inside the park boundary. I better check that out I guess ..

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
TheViking said:
Hi...

When you bushcraft, and sleep outside more than a few nights, do you like to be at the same spot all the time or move every morning??? :)

Nomad or Hermit...? :wink:

Hermit all the way! I prefer to make a shelter out of natural materials than to use a basha or tent and as such a fixed woodland home is more practical than whacking up a lean-to every day... it alse saves time in the evening for other bushcrafty endeavours like foraging and carving things!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
hootchi said:
I suppose I'm a nomad, I like wandering. I dont want to make too many posts because I want to stay a nomad rather that a native! :eek:):
Haha, only 170 posts to go then, and you'll become a SETTLER! Isn't that worse than native? :shock: :rolmao:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
TheViking said:
The poll is closed. It was an accident when I made the thread, honest. :roll:
You want me to open it up again, Andy?

Edit: Never mind it already is! :wink: :?:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Can or can't Tomtom??

It is open and you should be able to. I can't vote right now but that's bcoz I already did. I can see you didn't vote yet :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE