no2 modified cooker or swiss cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ant67

Jul 9, 2010
essex
hi all ive been looking for a stove for a little time now have found a out my sons cub unit is selling a brit no2 modified cooker and a swiss field petrol cooker,dont know a lot about them so can anyone help out ,Ive been told they both run on petrol but can they be run on other fuels for a cleaner burn ,

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Aspen 4 is generally reckoned to be a better (cleaner) petrol fuel for stoves than regular unleaded road petrol. Neither of the stoves you have mentioned will run on other fuels without modification and there is no guarantee that they will burn any better if so modified. If you don't want a petrol burner I'd say leave these two alone.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't pay more than a tenner for the No2, they ain't great stoves. If you want a 'petrol' stove go for a Coleman. As Ian says, stick with Aspen or 'panel wipe' as fuel and not petrol.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have a No.2 burner and I have used it a fair bit as long as you don't over pump them, 4 pumps are all that are needed it is in the instructions on the burners.

panel wipe is a new one to me, I normally use unleaded and had no problems

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
the Brit No 2 Mk 2 modified cooker is a bit underated, in my opinion. I have one which works perfectly on either unleaded or Aspen 4. Solid bodywork, nice built-in wind protector, and it pumps out the heat on full, but simmers as well. The Army pan kit works perfectly with it s well, and I've roasted a few chickens in it! However they're a bit Marmite - you either love it or hate it - I'm guessing it all depends on whether you've got a goodun or badun!

Might bee worth seeing it in action first before you part with any cash though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Andy, I've several over the years, original and with the modded burner and when they work they are OK but they just seem to fail so often their 'rep' is crap. I had one that was a good un but I'm now No2 free lol. That said I'm jinxed with Tilley lamps, apart from a table lamp all mine have given grief even after complete rebuilds :( I'm taking a No7 with me Wednesday camping as my coffee brewer stove :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Andy, I've several over the years, original and with the modded burner and when they work they are OK but they just seem to fail so often their 'rep' is crap. I had one that was a good un but I'm now No2 free lol. That said I'm jinxed with Tilley lamps, apart from a table lamp all mine have given grief even after complete rebuilds :( I'm taking a No7 with me Wednesday camping as my coffee brewer stove :)

:) Maybe you should recommend he uses a SAT instead........

Re the Mk 2 Modified, I can only speak as I find. And my Mk 2 modified is a belter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE