No more meths??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@ADCZ - If you look at the eu and indeed earlier UK customs paperwork, it is called "denatured alcohol" not methylated spirits.

It might well be, but in our shops we buy purple coloured methylated spirits. We know what it is, we know what it does, what it looks like, and what it smells like….and so does the shopkeeper.

We used to have to sign a register when we bought it, but now, it's just sold like turps and white spirits.
It's meths, comes in plastic bottles of 500ml usually.

I've just gone and found the one I bought a couple of weeks ago…it says on the label,

"METHYLATED SPIRITS; For use as a fuel for camping stoves and fondues, can also be used for glass cleaning.
Made in England, Bartoline Ltd., Beverley, HU17 0LW.
Contains: Ethanol UN No.1170 "

M

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
b679e744cf9b9e90dddb51deca6887e0.jpg

coolerking

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2008
Manchester
linktr.ee
Ill tell you what else you struggle to buy these days, curly wurlys!

Sounds like the guy was special!

Find your local B&M Bargains and your burner won't go thirsty anymore!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can't believe I never noticed that. Do you mean buying direct/bulk etc bud?

Dunno but it's probably worth checking out. You might be able to pick up some decent sized containers on the cheap, 10L or so. I suppose it depends how much you need? :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Dunno but it's probably worth checking out. You might be able to pick up some decent sized containers on the cheap, 10L or so. I suppose it depends how much you need? :)

I emailed them earlier see if it was possible for me to pop down and buy direct instead of via retailer. Will probably get a 5 or 10 ltr bottle if poss. Saves me paying £2 a pop for 500ml.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Wow! after asking such a simple question I really didn't expect so many posts relating to the ingredients and processing of Meths! as long as we are all of the same opinion - or maybe we all missed the memo! :) - then I am happy enough to know that I, and everyone else, can keep buying meths from sources other than the shop I called into the other day :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE