No gear challenge Autumn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A duvet as loo roll? Sounds like my student days! :p

I think thats the bit I find the hardest with the outdoors... the whole bathroom thing. As you say Mick, with the diet you're on over the weekend, thats not going to be making bathroom time any easier... but then thats all part of the challenge.

If the duvet is dry though... you could take the inners out so you've got some insulation for sleeping on, and the outer... charcloth? Loo roll? Water filter?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Well then suffer you must... I worked with a bunch of Libyan guys once & using toilet paper was supposedly against their religion... they all had wee little watering cans in their toilet for this purpose... a true story...

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'm not willing to defecate in my only reliable water source :lmao: many layers of dock leaves will have to do

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'm not willing to defecate in my only reliable water source :lmao: many layers of dock leaves will have to do

it just crossed my mind they may have been taking the rip? so googled it... :~

in a Muslim home.

Watering cans especially come in handy after using the toilet—Muslims can’t pray or touch the Qur’an if they haven’t purified themselves after doing their business. Water just happens to be the best thing for getting clean.

Every Muslim seems to have a watering can in their washroom. Walk in, sit yourself down on the toilet, and you’re sure to see a small loveable can nearby, either already filled with water or waiting to be filled. Bliss.

So stop being such a big girl (finding a watering can should be easy on a farm tip) & convert to the Muslim way of doing that..

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
it just crossed my mind they may have been taking the rip? so googled it... :~

in a Muslim home.

Watering cans especially come in handy after using the toilet—Muslims can’t pray or touch the Qur’an if they haven’t purified themselves after doing their business. Water just happens to be the best thing for getting clean.

Every Muslim seems to have a watering can in their washroom. Walk in, sit yourself down on the toilet, and you’re sure to see a small loveable can nearby, either already filled with water or waiting to be filled. Bliss.

So stop being such a big girl (finding a watering can should be easy on a farm tip) & convert to the Muslim way of doing that..
I'd herd of that before actually. I've already had a natter with the bee keeper and I imagine that to be hard to explain to any more passers by. I've just purchased a 14lb tub of honey from him but the git wouldn't let me have it because he loved the idea of the challenge so he's dropping it at my house!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'd herd of that before actually. I've already had a natter with the bee keeper and I imagine that to be hard to explain to any more passers by. I've just purchased a 14lb tub of honey from him but the git wouldn't let me have it because he loved the idea of the challenge so he's dropping it at my house!

I take it this natter was with an actual bee keeper & not some kind of euphemism & is totally unconnected to your continence needs & was you natter with the bee keeper more successful than when you asked the farmer if you could "milk his goat" then?

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I take it this natter was with an actual bee keeper & not some kind of euthanizim & is totally unconnected to your continence needs & was you natter with the bee keeper more successful than when you asked the farmer if you could "milk his goat" then?
No no actual beekeper lol. I did ask about the goat, his words where "if you can catch it you can kill it as far as I'm concerned Mick" but I didn't fancy a Benny hill style scene whereby I chase a goat round a field. Apparently its a bit wild

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Quick update. Sitting absolutely stuffed! Dug up a squash and a cabbage (i asked the landowner first) to go with my rabbit, maybe not true foraging but hey live off the land. And a bowl of blackberries with some nuts for afters. Tomorrow with the surplus nuts I'm going to have a crack at grinding them down with more blackberries and whatever else I can find to make little cakes. Fires going nicely and I have a more substantial bed of rubbish. Collected and drank plenty of water and I'm thinking about making hot water bottles with it

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
True suffering right enough mick, I hope you suffer as much tomorrow as you have today. looking forward to the footage that goes with your suffering Watching every cut and burn online.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
True suffering right enough mick, I hope you suffer as much tomorrow as you have today. looking forward to the footage that goes with your suffering Watching every cut and burn online.
Ok even I'll admit there's no hardship in this at the moment lol. Its getting chilly though, I can see myself being a tad less smug later

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I was just about to ask how its going Mick.

How has the shelter improvements gone?

It is going to be a cold night according to the forecasts... are you going to try the long fire thing to keep warm, or are you going to huddle up in the shelter?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I was just about to ask how its going Mick.

How has the shelter improvements gone?

It is going to be a cold night according to the forecasts... are you going to try the long fire thing to keep warm, or are you going to huddle up in the shelter?
I have to admit my shelter hasn't actually improved massively. It'll be waterproof I would wager but it isn't looking like rain. Found a breadknife on the dump that's been massively useful, actually a capable saw if I'm honest.
Going to be using a long fire to try and heat as much as possible of me at a time. Turning over now and again of course. Any jokes about hog roasts I've brought upon myself there!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Do you mean when your hot water bottle goes a bit cold in the night. a you need to get up to top it up?...
I mean when fate rears its ugly heed and we get a month's worth of rain in 2 hours lol. Canny cushy little setup here actually

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I've sort of remember reading of heating up the ground with a fire pit raking the embers to one side & sleeping on the hot ground, but seriously mick hats off to you 10 out of 10 for foraging . hope you have a cooshy night...I'm rooting for you...

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've sort of remember reading of heating up the ground with a fire pit raking the embers to one side & sleeping on the hot ground, but seriously mick hats off to you 10 out of 10 for foraging . hope you have a cooshy night...I'm rooting for you...
I considered that but it's fairly uneven ground to sleep on so I've piled sticks and rubbish up. Cheers mate always good to know people are!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
you said you had hay? This could be an excellent heat source in rubbish bags... or just hollow out a large bail
It's a thought for tomorrow, although it's a little damp. I would have to dig into it I think. Hollowing a big bale would have been ideal, but my size I would be wearing it like a sleeping bag!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE