No gear challenge, Autumn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's right ladies and gentlemen, I must need my bloody head examining because I've agreed to the next installment of my massochistic no gear challenges.
This time there are some twists.
1. This is 4 nights and being dropped off at dusk to make it harder.
2. This will be in an unfamiliar location not land I know and have hunted
3. It will be during Autumn, much lower temperatures involved.
4.I will be wearing trainers not Dr martens, apparently they're outdoor boots -_-
5. I'm looking into the legality of natural traps and if they're legal in any way. No snares.
6. No jacket this time, just shirt/jumper and jeans.

Any suggestions of what to brush up on for this challenge? Im learning to twist cordage. Anything that's going to be plentiful food wise early october? Looking at our fine foraging community for this one. Any general hints and tips gratefully received and thank you all for your encouragement and for laughing at my misfortune with weather last time (looking at you dewi!) ;) it really kept up my spirits and know I can expect similar encouragement and humor from this open asylum we call home!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looking at this as a genuine option if my snares aren't allowed, and understand it may well revolt some here. But I presume the common brown rat is edible like other mammals. Surely everywhere in the country is wick with them, so other than personal disgust is there a reason one could not eat a rat?
I'm working on the assumption it literally cannot be worse than Fox. Because that tasted disgusting and probably couldn't keep enough down to be an option. Rodents are common street food elsewhere so just a thought

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looking at this as a genuine option if my snares aren't allowed, and understand it may well revolt some here. But I presume the common brown rat is edible like other mammals. Surely everywhere in the country is wick with them, so other than personal disgust is there a reason one could not eat a rat?
I'm working on the assumption it literally cannot be worse than Fox. Because that tasted disgusting and probably couldn't keep enough down to be an option. Rodents are common street food elsewhere so just a thought

Disease transmission is the usual reason cited for avoiding rodents (there are several diseases that are transmissble apparently) but I don't know specifics. The meat would be edible, but the disease issue needs looking at before I would recommend it.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for the response. Definately having a look at making one of those box traps if I can get half reasonable with twisting cord. I'm aware of most diseases transmitted by rodents, but short of that risk I suppose they where common food during both world wars ie trenches and concentration/pow camps. Might not be something I have to bother with. But I think a simple bottle trap would be effective catching a few. Hopefully it will be carried out in a forgiving environment. If Steph starts upping my life insurance I'll start to worry!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm just jealous Mick... its something I'd love to do just so I'd know I could do it if I had to.

Do you know where you're doing this?

You were so lucky with 'Wilson' last time... if you don't find litter this time, it could be a whole different ball game depending on where you are. If you're somewhere where you could make use of some flint, or somewhere with a coast line... I don't know, maybe that would make it easier, but this is a tough challenge. You have to have water if its 4 days or you're going to be having problems. No food, well you just have a slap up meal at the end, but no water and you're body is going to suffer.

Be tempted to have an emergency stash just in case. Not talking about a food store or water bottles, but maybe a mug and a plastic bag. Something you can turn into a water-gatherer. Even a gypsy well, if you have literally nothing with you, is going to be a tough way to get water.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Looking forward to this one, it's gonna be hard, no 2 ways, as Dewi says, water is going to be a biggie, as it's Autumn you are going to need a decent shelter with fire, cordage.............always good to know, I would be more concerned about the timing, you have the skill set, no doubting that, but to get dropped off in unfamiliar surroundings, in the dark, with less clothing is asking for trouble IMVHO or a very very dodgy night, that is, is it open to slight changes ?

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'm just jealous Mick... its something I'd love to do just so I'd know I could do it if I had to.

Do you know where you're doing this?

You were so lucky with 'Wilson' last time... if you don't find litter this time, it could be a whole different ball game depending on where you are. If you're somewhere where you could make use of some flint, or somewhere with a coast line... I don't know, maybe that would make it easier, but this is a tough challenge. You have to have water if its 4 days or you're going to be having problems. No food, well you just have a slap up meal at the end, but no water and you're body is going to suffer.

Be tempted to have an emergency stash just in case. Not talking about a food store or water bottles, but maybe a mug and a plastic bag. Something you can turn into a water-gatherer. Even a gypsy well, if you have literally nothing with you, is going to be a tough way to get water.

Great fun man dewi it's worth a shot you'll find like I did you actually know much more than you thought!
The only thing I know about location is it will be close to where I was this time, the farmer that let me use his land for my last one had a word with his friend and he's more than up for letting me use his so it's arable land probably with woods.
I'm actually not so worried about water, last time I realised there's any amount of water there if you look for it. And methods of drinking it. For safety reasons I'll have my phone and a back up battery
Good shout on the gypsy well. Never even considered that until something in my memory was jogged just then!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looking forward to this one, it's gonna be hard, no 2 ways, as Dewi says, water is going to be a biggie, as it's Autumn you are going to need a decent shelter with fire, cordage.............always good to know, I would be more concerned about the timing, you have the skill set, no doubting that, but to get dropped off in unfamiliar surroundings, in the dark, with less clothing is asking for trouble IMVHO or a very very dodgy night, that is, is it open to slight changes ?

Cheers bopdude, always good to know my little bouts of poor judgement aren't boring :lmao:
Timing is a worrying one too, I'm half used to navigating in almost total darkness, and can usually find my way around, but if it's woodland I may not have that option as I have no reference point and anything underfoot will be hidden. I think dusk is referring to around 1 hour before sunset so will have some natural light.
At this rate my winter one will be impossible, drop me off naked in a blizzard in the highlands taped to an angry badger and don't come home till spring :lmao:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Never boring mate, always make for good reading and pondering, still, 1 hour of light ish, so what's gonna be your order of priority, first night etc it's bad enough knowing where your going to be lol who's deciding on location ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Never boring mate, always make for good reading and pondering, still, 1 hour of light ish, so what's gonna be your order of priority, first night etc it's bad enough knowing where your going to be lol who's deciding on location ?

Depends on where I get dropped. If there's woodland fire will be my first priority, in the fact I will have eaten before I leave the house and have a full days water on board anyway. Its also something I can do quickly and to a degree leave to its own devices. Autumn is ideal for friction fire lighting really. If it's raining or I'm in the open it will be find shelter, improve it if I can and hunker down with some tinder to dry for the morning. Then spend day 1 scouting for anything useful.
Steph is deciding location along with the farmer because he's got me permission on a nearby farm. But they both love a good giggle at my misfortune and discomfort so I'm not expecting an easy place

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah as you say you'll have been fed and watered so shelter and fire, looking forward to the write up and pictures to this one, not sure I envy you though lol

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yeah as you say you'll have been fed and watered so shelter and fire, looking forward to the write up and pictures to this one, not sure I envy you though lol

I'll take more pictures with this one because I have the spare phone battery. Wish I had last time if I'm honest. And taking more pictures of round about because I couldn't upload some last time. Not everyone likes to see a snared rabbit or game prep and I respect that

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
That's a fair point, I'm on the phone at the moment so can't see the forum in full, have we git spoiler tags ? Mod / admin, is it possible to hide pictures in spoiler tags so you get the choice to view ?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's a fair point, I'm on the phone at the moment so can't see the forum in full, have we git spoiler tags ? Mod / admin, is it possible to hide pictures in spoiler tags so you get the choice to view ?

I suppose I could stick a photobucket link up for anything like that

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Can't wait to see this Mick, who knows what you might find!

I'd say around this time of year brushing up on your mushroom ID may help keep your belly full if catching game proves tricky. There should be plenty of berries too although they seem to be ripening late up your neck of the woods. Other than that you'll find plenty of the usual greens like sorrel, chickweed, hairy bittercress etc... that do well in the colder months and are still palateable; plus your various roots such as thistle, greater reedmace, burdock etc... If you do have to eat rat or something that may not taste nice you could cook it with a strong herb like ground ivy to mask the taste, which is also abundant at the moment.

That's all I can suggest but i'm no pro.

Have you settled on a date to do this?

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Can't wait to see this Mick, who knows what you might find!

I'd say around this time of year brushing up on your mushroom ID may help keep your belly full if catching game proves tricky. There should be plenty of berries too although they seem to be ripening late up your neck of the woods. Other than that you'll find plenty of the usual greens like sorrel, chickweed, hairy bittercress etc... that do well in the colder months and are still palateable; plus your various roots such as thistle, greater reedmace, burdock etc... If you do have to eat rat or something that may not taste nice you could cook it with a strong herb like ground ivy to mask the taste, which is also abundant at the moment.

That's all I can suggest but i'm no pro.

Have you settled on a date to do this?

I'll be uploading a full review as ever and using this to check in and say I'm safe, rather have people here looking for me than anyone!
Looking more into mushroom and plant ID as my skills aren't brilliant at the moment, maybe learn a few that will be common there.
I'm looking at early/mid October to do it, Then winter will be late January. Whatever sadistic game the missus and my mates can cook up for winter lol

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It'll be hard to leave Wilson behind. I'm trying to convince them to allow me a notepad and pen so I don't have to ease phone battery making notes. So long as I don't it for anything else I don't think that qualifies as gear surely. Unless anyone disagrees

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Not pad and pencil, you mean starter and tinder lol, I know you wouldn't, only kidding, that's gotta be fine, hasn't it ?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not pad and pencil, you mean starter and tinder lol, I know you wouldn't, only kidding, that's gotta be fine, hasn't it ?

I would imagine so. Its not like it'll help in all honesty, so surely they won't mind that. I can easily demonstrate to them how using paper as tinder for friction fire is nigh impossible (admit it we've all tried it!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE