No gear challenge, Autumn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
That's right ladies and gentlemen, I must need my bloody head examining because I've agreed to the next installment of my masochistic no gear challenges.
This time there are some twists.
1. This is 4 nights and being dropped off at dusk to make it harder.
2. This will be in an unfamiliar location not land I know and have hunted
3. It will be during Autumn, much lower temperatures involved.
4.I will be wearing trainers not Dr martens, apparently they're outdoor boots -_-
5. I'm looking into the legality of natural traps and if they're legal in any way. No snares.
6. No jacket this time, just shirt/jumper and jeans.

Any suggestions of what to brush up on for this challenge? Im learning to twist cordage. Anything that's going to be plentiful food wise early october? Looking at our fine foraging community for this one. Any general hints and tips gratefully received and thank you all for your encouragement and for laughing at my misfortune with weather last time (looking at you dewi!) ;) it really kept up my spirits and know I can expect similar encouragement and humor from this open asylum we call home!

I found your last report very entertaining also... & as somebody else commented I also imagined Wilson to be somewhat larger than he is... one of those little Dictaphone recorders would be ideal for notes... I look forward to reading your next report At the risk of sounding like Granddad can I just say I am inclined to agree with you & yes you do need therapy for your head.... I am absolutely not doubting your skill set & You will know your own limits... you don't actually say who is setting the twists if its you or your mates? & I am only speculating here but I am thinking giving your mates cart blanch over your fate is a risky business at best as your mates may well prefer to see you tortured rather than challenge your ability just for their own entertainment... deliberately placing yourself in extreme fool hardy situations is one thing safety has to rule over stupidity in any challenge. After all It's a given that real survival life or death situations aren't much fun but there has to be some element of enjoyment in it for you... so keep us posted looking forward to your trip report & keep it real stay safe...

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I found your last report very entertaining also... & as somebody else commented I also imagined Wilson to be somewhat larger than he is... one of those little Dictaphone recorders would be ideal for notes... I look forward to reading your next report At the risk of sounding like Granddad can I just say I am inclined to agree with you & yes you do need therapy for your head.... I am absolutely not doubting your skill set & You will know your own limits... you don't actually say who is setting the twists if its you or your mates? & I am only speculating here but I am thinking giving your mates cart blanch over your fate is a risky business at best as your mates may well prefer to see you tortured rather than challenge your ability just for their own entertainment... deliberately placing yourself in extreme fool hardy situations is one thing safety has to rule over stupidity in any challenge. After all It's a given that real survival life or death situations aren't much fun but there has to be some element of enjoyment in it for you... so keep us posted looking forward to your trip report & keep it real stay safe...

Wilson is a knife in his own right now!
It's my mates and missus setting the twists, but being kept realistic and reasonably safe. As well as being kept relevant, Inadequet clothing, setting up in semi dark etc. Wrestling a crocodile with corks on his teeth kind of thing.
Won't sign up to anything massively risky like intentionally dehydrating myself or going out wet nothing daft like that. Winter will be done with a spotter in toe I think just in case.
Good to know people are interested in my antics too!

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Just thought Mick it would be good to see a trip maybe next year where you only take all the quirky little tools and traps you've found/made and kept from these challenges i.e. Wilson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just thought Mick it would be good to see a trip maybe next year where you only take all the quirky little tools and traps you've found/made and kept from these challenges i.e. Wilson

That's a good idea actually. Wilson has replaced old faithful already!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland

Yes +1 that does sound ok & total kit made from Trash... somebody on here posted a utoob where he made cordage from discarded plastic 2 ltre bottles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6TG7Y3RK4

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE