No cook main meal one packet options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
In my many years of D of E supervision I solved almost all the medical issues by feeding chocolate followed by a muesli bar to kids who simply ran out of steam as they had not eaten and were not fit.
The more serious ones all recovered after a hot chocolate and a flapjack.
Blisters were pretty much the rest of it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Higates flapjacks (from Home Bargains) solid as a brick packing 400+kcal each. If you buy them online by the case the price comes down to 30p each and are vegetarian friendly.

That's the sort of thing, thank you, which has lead me to finding a savoury cereal bar containing Oat, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Brown Linseeds, Sesame Seeds and Vanilla. So a couple of savoury and sweet bars should suffice.

I could find several savoury bar recipes but not many bars to buy. (I want a bought bar for previously stated reasons and to show the ingredients in case of allergies etc.)

I can add a can or two of something like tuna if they're not vegetarian.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
" Oat, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Brown Linseeds, Sesame Seeds and Vanilla. "

So, what are rescuing......Budgies?.....

I'm just trying to find something most people could eat. I can always give a packet of nuts, trail mix etc, separately.

I once met a vegetatian who was allergic to nuts and hated mushrooms, that was many years ago but it still seems to be hard to find something vegan that is free of nuts.

Reactions: santaman2000

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I've got some of those NRG blocks stuffed in the top of my bergan. You get a brick of 9 blocks that are vacuum packed which I've broken down and vac packed separately. They don't taste great but they are stuffed with calories, pack down small, and last forever. What you can also do is make up a brew with some hot chocolate and crumble the block in the make a porridge type affair (Think of the old hot chocolate with the oatmeal block). The porridge solution makes it much more palatable for kids as otherwise they are bland.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
NRG biscuits are a good idea BUT I have had twice problems with them going through airport security. Apparently they shine on x-ray somehow. Actually I think it is the oil in them but dont't really know.

Reactions: SaraR

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Useless Factoid:
Seven Seas, NRG, BP-5 and a slew of other compressed food blocks have roughly the same calorie count per gram as Vegetarian Digestive biscuits.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Useless Factoid:
Seven Seas, NRG, BP-5 and a slew of other compressed food blocks have roughly the same calorie count per gram as Vegetarian Digestive biscuits.

But can you drop a packet of digestive biscuits from 500m without a parachute without them breaking?

Reactions: Bishop

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
But can you drop a packet of digestive biscuits from 500m without a parachute without them breaking?

If that’s true, how come I can’t knock a packet off the worktop onto the floor without breaking every biccie in the pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not if its Ginsters.

Post of the month. :D

I had, tried to have, a Ginsters pasty last Friday. What I spat as gristle amounted to more than I got to digest. Never again.

Slowworm, it’s gracious of you to want to carry supplies for the ill prepared should they be out without adequate resources. You mention giving water. To be honest, after they’ve had a sip of yours and a flapjack or whatever, they’d do better to take note of your lesson and learn to carry some food? I don’t get the point of carrying extra items in case you find hungry strangers, or not letting them experience the discomfort of hunger because they didn’t plan for it.

Cold baked beans all round. Easy, nutritious, sugary. I reckon you should carry disgusting snacks, like tins of anchovies and olives. That’ll learn ‘em to bring the Hobnobs. :lmao:

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Slowworm, it’s gracious of you to want to carry supplies for the ill prepared should they be out without adequate resources. You mention giving water. To be honest, after they’ve had a sip of yours and a flapjack or whatever, they’d do better to take note of your lesson and learn to carry some food? I don’t get the point of carrying extra items in case you find hungry strangers, or not letting them experience the discomfort of hunger because they didn’t plan for it.

My original question was from the point of view of a landowner who found an ill prepared camper.

The water is a good example, we own what looks (and should be) part of an idyllic stream. On a hot summers day clear water runs into a nice large pool large enough to cool off in. However, it contains run off from the pastures so it'll contain a large amount of slurry and worse. I occasionally find hikers cooling off and rather than telling them to get 'orf my land I simply advise them not to drink the water. The camper I found was planning on hiking several miles the next day and only had a litre of water with him. I advised he shouldn't drink the stream water and gave him a few extra litres so he could have a bit of a wash as well.

Going back to the food question, I want something I can keep in the cupboard just in case. Something like a savoury cereal bar seems to fit the bill.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Some of the "protein" bar sold for keep-fitters might fit the question. Easy, nutritious enough and not very expensive. Will last for more than a year (I think, mine never last that long).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE