No Carbs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Go as full-grain as you possibly can and cut out white flour, rice, pasta etc as much as you can. Brown basmati rice and whole wheat or other cereals are good substitutes. Oats are good too and high in beta-glucans which are good.

At least half your plate, needs to be vegetables. Make sure your shopping basket reflects this new reality (unless you already do that of course). Fruit is good, but be careful not to over do it. Avoid juices and such.
Really depends. If you are T2 diabetic - you really need to avoid carbs in general. Everyone is a bit different of course, but that is the general mantra. Full grain or not - it is still carbs, and while the fibre in full grain helps a bit - it doesn't mean you can eat the way you used to or even close. Veg - yes, again depends what kind. Meat - absolutely. My diet consists of meat and cruciferous vegetables.

The only way to really see this - in real time - is to use a continuous glucose monitor. Bit of an eye opener and a game changer. Again - i'm referring to T2 diabetics.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just listened to a segment on BBC inside science a few mins ago, about blood sugars, and how they spike after eating certain foods.
One thing that the chap mentioned was if he exercised after eating, his blood sugars didn't spike so much, so maybe that's something to take away for your new regime. Blood glucose monitors can be got for both types of diabetes, so maybe look into one of those. My gardener has one, and he can tell very quickly when he needs to do something. Saves having to do the pricked finger test and wait for results to show up. Which once nessasitated me rushing around to get him some sugary items to bring him back to normal as he all but collapsed on me. Doesn't happen now he has the monitor.
I realise that may not be your type of diabetes but I think
It would help you ascertain what foods were tricky for you that you need to avoid, and help you manage things better.
Good luck getting things under control. A change of diet can take a bit of getting used to so anything that might help has gotta be a good idea.
Your doc might be able to advise on if you can get one on the NHS (good luck!) Or at least which one to get.

Reactions: Toddy

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Go as full-grain as you possibly can and cut out white flour, rice, pasta etc as much as you can. Brown basmati rice and whole wheat or other cereals are good substitutes. Oats are good too and high in beta-glucans which are good.

At least half your plate, needs to be vegetables. Make sure your shopping basket reflects this new reality (unless you already do that of course). Fruit is good, but be careful not to over do it. Avoid juices and such.

Match carbs with fat. E.g. if you have an apple, have some nuts or peanut butter with it, bread with butter and cheese and so on. (As an aside, cashew nuts are higher in carbs than other nuts, apparently.)

Walk every day (the positive effects last for about 24 h).
that is great advice fat significantly lowers the gi off foods and releases sugar from carbs slowe,r when mixed with fat that's why trail mix keeps u going so well.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
For a diabetic - yes! Natural or not makes little difference here. You need to add more to your posts if you’re going to give advice that is potentially dangerous.
Depending on the diabetes one is self inflicted through greed, generally the root off the cause ie food addiction needs fixing .Natural honey satisfies u in much smaller amounts without resorting to sweets and other forms off garbage.

• Love

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Just listened to a segment on BBC inside science a few mins ago, about blood sugars, and how they spike after eating certain foods.
One thing that the chap mentioned was if he exercised after eating, his blood sugars didn't spike so much, so maybe that's something to take away for your new regime. Blood glucose monitors can be got for both types of diabetes, so maybe look into one of those. My gardener has one, and he can tell very quickly when he needs to do something. Saves having to do the pricked finger test and wait for results to show up. Which once nessasitated me rushing around to get him some sugary items to bring him back to normal as he all but collapsed on me. Doesn't happen now he has the monitor.
I realise that may not be your type of diabetes but I think
It would help you ascertain what foods were tricky for you that you need to avoid, and help you manage things better.
Good luck getting things under control. A change of diet can take a bit of getting used to so anything that might help has gotta be a good idea.
Your doc might be able to advise on if you can get one on the NHS (good luck!) Or at least which one to get.

Yes, exercise helps - as does losing weight, and of course taking your medication(s), but there is no cure for diabetes (yet), and these steps merely help you mitigate the condition you have so you can live longer and not get any complications. If you have T2 diabetes, you can't just eat like a non-T2 diabetic and mitigate it by exercising, or eating fibre/fat before or with your meal.

There aren't different continuous glucose monitors for different types of diabetics. They are all the same (there are a few companies that make them) - they measure your blood glucose continuously. How you use the data it provides, does vary between T1 (insulin dependent) and T2 diabetics. I'm T2 and wearing one now. Quite an eye opener to see how what I eat, and what I do affects my blood glucose during the day. The data is sent to my phone via bluetooth every 5 mins. Trying new things is all fine and well, but without concrete data, it is really just a guess. That's where the CGM comes into play and why it is such a game changer.

For Type 1's - the CGM can signal an alarm when it detects you are trending to go hypo (low blood sugar), but type 2 diabetics don't typically go hypo - they tend to have blood sugar which goes too high - and stays high for longer than it should. It is mostly just about keeping blood sugars in a normal range for the rest of your life as the excess blood glucose causes permanent damage to organs over the long term.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Depending on the diabetes one is self inflicted through greed, generally the root off the cause ie food addiction needs fixing .Natural honey satisfies u in much smaller amounts without resorting to sweets and other forms off garbage.
Sorry - but this is an insult. In my case it is hereditary - as it is for many people with Type 2. Type 1 it is often an auto-immune thing where the body attacks the pancreas, basically killing it. Honey isn't a cure-all for everything.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Sorry - but this is an insult. In my case it is hereditary - as it is for many people with Type 2. Type 1 it is often an auto-immune thing where the body attacks the pancreas, basically killing it. Honey isn't a cure-all for everything.
So your type 2?

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Type 2 diabetes and hereditary don't belong in the same sentence mate it's cope,unless your parents were sugar junkies and passed it on even then it's curable iv never known tribes to have type 2 diabetes it's very much a first world problem.

• Love

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Again, do you have a source I can read that backs this up? I’ve never come across anything that suggests you will just eat less honey than other sweet things. In terms of sugar, it’s just as bad for you - prove me wrong.

• Haha

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Type 2 diabetes and hereditary don't belong in the same sentence mate it's cope,unless your parents were sugar junkies and passed it on even then it's curable iv never known tribes to have type 2 diabetes it's very much a first world problem.

Wrong, there can be a hereditary predisposition to Type 2 diabetes.

Can I suggest you adopt a slightly less insulting and combative tone in your posts? I detect, on several threads, that you are both insulting people and arguing rather than discussing.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Again, do you have a source I can read that backs this up? I’ve never come across anything that suggests you will just eat less honey than other sweet things. In terms of sugar, it’s just as bad for you - prove me wrong.
Try it n find out for yourself instead off reading books

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Do you have any idea how much natural honey the hadzabe tribe eat its a lot ,raw unheated honey is good stuff try some and find out instead off just reading not doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE