No Back Packs In the Range...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just got home after walking around Ipswich been to the following

3 Different Pound Shops,
Sports Direct,
A few Charity Shops
A Craft Shop
A number of Camping Shops
Halfords
Proctors Sausage Shop
A Polish Food Shop

Got to the counter at The Range, and was told that If I want serving, I would have to agree to leaving my Back Pack at the counter next time I go.....

I asked why the answer "Company Policy - No Back Packs allowed", now don't get me wrong but I had with me my Karrimor 20ltr Pack, not a big one really, I asked why was that, "because you can put a lot in it"..the silly thing is there was a woman in the queue with a larger shoulder bag then my pack, I asked if she was going to get asked the same , the answer was no its a shoulder bag.

I said Sorry but the bag has got a few personal things in it, and I will not be leaving it with a stranger if I visit the store again, one that I cant trust as I dont know them, in the same way as you are not trusting me to be your customer.

I put my goods down, said I had changed my mind and walked out...

Now is that discrimination or not?, I now wonder if I went there with the womans hand bag would I be asked the same question?

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Wow - most parents I know lug around all there kids stuff in backpacks on trips out - especially for babies or toddlers. That would be a major pain. Saying that I'm sure I've been in the range with one on - but not recently.

Try going in wearing Ribz....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't think its discrimination. They clearly have had a shoplifting problem and have identified backpacks as a common item used.

In my view they are (and should be) within their rights to not allow certain items in the store. You of course are within your rights to shop elsewhere. Such is the nature of freedom - their shop, their rules, your money, your rules.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Many shops out here in Saudi have a similar policy.
I often have to hand in my bag to customer services when I go into a shop.
Some places have lockers.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Local PCWorld have (or did, haven't need to visit in awhile) the same policy, with signs outside. I just ignored it, and walked in with a 25l rucksack, never was asked to remove it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It is common over here too, larger electrical stores provide lockers, supermarkets might want to look inside your pack on arrival.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Things like lockers I have no problems with, or even looking inside, got no problem with that at all, but to tell you your got to leave your bag behind the counter with a person you don't know, unsecured, when there are women walking about with bags just as big or bigger, that's what I object to, yes their store their rules...

Think about it, you got all your personal belongings in your bag and you have to leave it with a stranger........as in all shops people on the counter change, how do they know who's bag is who's.......

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Leave your pack in the car and go in with a booster bag instead.

Thats ok if you have the car with you.. I walked into town about 1 Mile, then around town, then out of town to the range then about a mile to mine, so no Car.....

What is a Booster Bag?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats ok if you have the car with you.. I walked into town about 1 Mile around town, then out of town to the range then about a mile to mine, so no Car.....

What is a Booster Bag?

It was a toungue in cheek comment. LOL. A booster bag is an innocent looking bag or box with a false bottom used by professional or compulsive shoplifters to "boost" merchandise.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
You could always fold one of those very large shopping bags up, and stash it in your pack. Then when you want to go to the shop again, take it out, put your pack inside, and carry it in :)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Next time go in with one out the large yellow bags from IKEA, they are huge! You could write to the head office and complain about the double standards.

This begs the question what would they do if you had a large but mainly empty shopping bag from say a high profile store with high value items in it, would the retailer in question expect you to leave them also?

I fully agree with the op that the policy is ridiculous IF other types of bags with a larger capacity are being allowed!

Hamster

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Double standards indeed. I'd write that letter of complaint anyway citing your experience with the woman with the shoulder bag and the encounter at the checkout. You'll mostly likely get a official letter saying "Sorry you feel this way but it is now company policy." Probably from someone who hadn't even understood your initial point about double standards. But then again you also might get a letter of apology with an accompanying photo of the former store manager's head on a pike.

Sounds to me like the person at the counter was on a bit of a power rush having someone he could possibly ban.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
When I go into shops with a pack on I often ask if I can leave it behind the counter, never found it an issue. Saves me turning around and wiping out a display.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You feel discriminated against, try being a motorcyclist, plenty signs about saying "no leathers", "no crash helmets to be worn", "no bikers" etc

Morrisons petrol stations are one of the worst they have a policy to make you remove your helmet, sometimes before fuelling (even when using pay at pump), sometimes just when paying at the counter (including using the night hatch)

In winter I wear a balaclava under my lid & refuse to take that off. I'll be very carefull here and say "They haven't pushed me on that one yet due to the headgear of one of their staff members"

A few of the lads have pushed it further & when they continue to refuse payment they've stated "This conversation is being recorded and this is my final offer to pay are you refusing payment? if you refuse I will leave, I think one even did.

You could maybe ask the Range if they have a suitably licensed member of staff that you can leave your bagged firearm with, that could prove interesting, or ask them to sign a full description of the bag and contents and confirm they are suitably insured to recompense you for any loss. A number of you turning up to shop at the same time all wearing rucksacks, especially if on a charity walk, could make them feel very uncomfortable especially if it made it into the local press.

Plenty of opportunity to push it if you can be bothered, all depends if you can be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE