Night vision.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Whilst I realise that there are many uses for a good bright torch for siganalling and the like as well as actually seeing what you are doing in the dark, do any of you use colour filters on your torches?
I often shoot at night with a lamp, and have a red filter for the lamp. Not only does this seem to not "spook" the rabbits as much as white light, it also leaves my night vision in a better state once I turn it off. I'm sure that I read somewhere years ago that it can take the human eye up to 30 mins to fully recover from a 5 second exposure to bright white light assuming that the pupil had dilated fully to allow for very low light levels beforehand. The use of a red filter on the torch/lamp means that your eyes are only exposed to red light, and therefore only become de-sensitized to red light after use of the torch. As there is very little red light in the small amount of star/moon light available for the eye to use whilst out at night, the difference the red torch makes to your night vision is almost un-noticeable.
As my partner works in the theatre I am often able to get hold of small pieces of red coloured "gel" as it's called that they colour stage lights with. A little disc of this placed inside the front lens of a torch makes it far more "eye friendly". Whilst not a perfect filter, a little disc of the red plastic tray that jam tarts and the like come in would do the job too I guess. Just make sure that it's not too close to the bulb if using xenons as it will not be as heat resistant as theatre light gel.

As an aside, a not-too-bright red torch is also a much better tool for gathering lob worms from mown grass on a warm damp night. The worms are all but blind to red light and do not suddenly disappear back down their holes when you shine the light on them as they will often do if using white light.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The current issue British army torch has red and green filters.
I find the red light does not ruin night vision so much.
The old advice about closing one eye when you use a torch (to preserve half of your night vision) is good.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I have used a blue filter with some success for night navigation being the opposite end of the spectrum to red light it's apparently easier on the night vision according to an optometrist friend of mine. I like the worm tip hadn't come across that one before.:)

I have heard but never tried it, if you use the same colour on your lamp all the time the rabbits get used to it. A friend had a selection yellow orange, red, and blue if I remember correctly and swapped them round every time he went out. [I know we are no in the fair game forum so I wont carry on this comment it’s just something I’ve seen].

James

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I'd go for a red filter every time.
Having been into astronomy since I was very young, I was always brought up to use a torch with a red filter. My Uncle used to rig up key fobs with bright red LEDs for looking at books and planispheres which mostly represent stars as whit on dark backgrounds. The Standard Issue British Army torches were always ideal for this.

Red filters are more awkward when trying to read OS maps at night, some of the contour lines and paths and boundary lines can be harder to see as they are red/orange and therefore absorb red light - making them harder to see (but not impossible) when using a red night filter.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I find it amasing how little extra light you need when it is properly dark.
When there is a lot of light polution, you have to illuminate your subject to a level that allows it to be seen clearly - but when there is no light polution, the barest glimmer from a small torch shows up like a beacon.
Don't get me wrong, I have torches up to 10 million candle power, and they are a big plus when they are needed, but when going for the stealthy or low-impact approach, very little light is all that you need.

ATB

Ogri the trog

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i use to rely on my night vision almost completely and hardly ever have a torch
though the point about losing the vision with a flash of light is correct
i was at a festeval a few years ago and was happily bimbling with out a torch in a quite place when i had a torch flash in my eye a few mins later i was knee first in a concrete bunker - the result being i have had knee problems ever since .
the red torch is a great idea and highly recomend yu have a small one round your neck when ever yu go out at night .

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've got both a red and green filter for my petzl headtorch - the red seems to allow my eyes to adjust to the darkness faster, but I tend to use the green when looking at OS maps, as the red often distorts/hides some of the features of the map, where the green seems to make it clearer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE