Night Vision Monocular

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Hello

I'm looking to get a night vision monocular for around about £120.00 maximum. i know that is at the budget end of choice, and that i cannot expect magnificent resolution.

I have to walk my dog at night (for his 2nd walkies of the day) due to work commitments, and really am looking for something that will identify bunnies etc. at at least 40 yards and be fairly robust, but do not need it to be waterproof. I would also prefer something that uses AA batteries rather than the more 'exotic' varieties, but will settle for the latter if necessary.

I have seen them now and then in Aldi and Lidl, but have no idea if they are generally well regarded.

Anyone able to recommend one?

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
I have bought electrical things and watches etc from both Lidls and Aldis with no problem. I have understand if there had been a problem that the guarantee is good and they honour there guarantee as long as you keep proof of purchase.
You are in a no loose situation.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
From memory (i.e. i could be a few years out of date), the majority of the gen 1 NV devices in that price range have tubes made by the same Russian company. The optics are also broadly similar. The trick is to choose a magnification level that suits your needs - i believe the higher the magnification, the sharper/more usable the image will generally be, but the dimmer it will also be. The tubes degrade over time, especially if subjected to bright light and moisture (condensation, not just rain), so a device that has an automatic cut off if exposed to bright light, and is water tight would be beneficial.

You can get digital NV devices, but i believe that they are still not as good as a standard gen 1 image intensifier tube.

A budget device is good fun (i have two of them), but don't expect too much from it - especially if you are anywhere other than in open fields. You will be able to achieve substantially better performance if you use an IR light source alongside it (many have them built in), but more powerful handheld IR torches are available from the likes of ebay.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For the money you want to spend I don't think you could expect much more than the Aldi/Lidl ones but as mentioned DO keep the receipt.

I can't think of many other NV units in the £100-£125 bracket?

HTH

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Forget gen1. Those aldi lidl digital monoculars represent the best bang for buck in the n.v world

Search for bresser 5x50 on ebay and don't pay over £100 for one...you simply will not get better for the money
Slightly more expensive usually but worth it, is the bresser with a 3x42 lens. Wider f.o.v, less focus fussy, and a more compact unit

The inbuilt I.r illuminator will take you out to 60yrds or so. If You want more, the right I.r upgrade will take you to 200yrds+ for 30-40 quid

Anything else just ask mate

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Keep talking Sundog-you have the floor!

I'm interested in getting one also, up to about £200/£250, but if anything there is too much choice. Pretty lost tbh.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Billy, theres actually very little choice really....loads of devices in that price bracket are much of a muchness, many being re-branded three or four times over
If we stick to digital stuff which is pretty much bomb proof and far better value for money than gen1

This is the bresser I was talking about, only stupidly expensive

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bresser-N...845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c7a26e25

Both devices above and below are as hard as coffin nails and great value
The down side to them is a low res display, close ranges they are fine but don't expect to be counting a rabbits whiskers at 150yrds

here's the better 3x42. Branded as yukon/newton hornet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yukon-NEW...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item1c48260e62

there's also this one. Branded in this country as hawk, and can be had cheaper on aliexpress

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hawke-NV1...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item1e94b81ff0

it was nearly very good indeed.
Great near eye display and extra features just a crappy battery life. As a hunter 1.5hrs just ain't gonna do it
If you can live with the battery life (2x cr123's) then it would make a cracking little mono

Last edited:

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Cheers for the replies. Plenty of food for thought. If digital is a better investment, I may have to wait and save a bit more.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That 5x50 bresser linked to is well over priced. they can normally be had for well within your budget, just a case of keeping an eye out

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Even with a Digital night scope the tiny infrared light on the unit will only get you up to 50 yards clear viewing. you would need to buy a bigger dark light to get maximum distance, if it's Military quality you are after you head off into the thousands of pounds bracket.

Ps, I would stay clear of older Russian Military stuff. it may be built like a brick ### house but the radiation will fry yer brain.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Not wanting to get in the way of a bushcrafter wanting some shiny new kit (I am awful for buying things I don't really need) but what's making you want NV rather than a torch?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just a heads up for anyone.

A chap on the n.v forum I use nightvisionforumuk.com is selling a bresser 5x50 with the better 3x42 lens included for £120

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE