Nickname, Avatar placement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
I don't think I've made myself clear on this one.

The familiarity of knowing where things are; that they are where we expect them to be, is what we'd like retained. The general layout (format) of the pages and forums.

A thank you system instead of a rep system wouldn't change that, would it? (Nice link incidentally, thank you :) )
Your original posts Nicolas indicated an entirely new lay out with cramped area for speech and photos.
At present the 'header bar' of every post 'reads' straight across, like a book, from left to right.

The layout you linked to is used on another forum I belong to, and to be honest, it's a pain.
Instead of the message being the focus, the bio of the postee kind of screams, "Look at me!"

Just my tuppence worth.

cheers,
Toddy

hm i think you're going a little over the top here mate, I just think that a lot of people are afraid of changing anything just becasue they
believe that boards like these are fragile and tomorrow all is down and will not be up in a matter of weeks.
However fact is vbulletin is hard as nails and you have to be litterlay stupid to break it, I have worked with this board since the very beginning
and there are so many wonderfull aditions were the community could benefit.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
To be fair to Toddy, she's making a very valid point. The layout of the forums has changed a lot and maybe you've only seen it more recently when it's been pretty stable.

There have been many problems with the forums and, without putting words in Toddy's mouth, I guess now it's pretty much right, she wouldn't want to see it all knackered again.

I also don't think it's fair on those that have been working behind the scenes to get it working again to say only the stupid could break it.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
To be fair to Toddy, she's making a very valid point. The layout of the forums has changed a lot and maybe you've only seen it more recently when it's been pretty stable.

There have been many problems with the forums and, without putting words in Toddy's mouth, I guess now it's pretty much right, she wouldn't want to see it all knackered again.

I also don't think it's fair on those that have been working behind the scenes to get it working again to say only the stupid could break it.

I was here when this was still vbb but i forgot my username :( I know change is sensitive but this would be such a small thing, I think we give this way to much attention including myself.
i have no idea why the forum was down so much before, all I'm saying is that to my knowlage and using this board software for ages it's pretty hard to realy screw it up, not saying anybody is stupid.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’ve been on lots of forums with a “bragging rights” column, and to me they are ok, if you have something worth bragging about.

Here it’s mainly when you joined, don’t know if I consider that relevant, number of posts, again not sure the relevance of that, and location, that can be important. However, as we don’t have rep, so unless we have a “how big is you pack” option, for everyone to brag on that :)
I’m not sure if making the message box even smaller, heaven forefend the insanity of posting large pictures, is helpful.
I’m limited to a 14” screen and even now have to scroll across to see average size images. After all the content is what most of us are here for, isn’t it?

Me, I’d like all that type of guff, stuffed/hidden in the users profile, so that anyone who is interested, can click a radio button and check, and those who judge by the content rather that the quantity, can simply ignore it.
A rep system/thank you system should also not be so inyourface as to drive people to give rep where it was not deserved.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
I’ve been on lots of forums with a “bragging rights” column, and to me they are ok, if you have something worth bragging about.

Here it’s mainly when you joined, don’t know if I consider that relevant, number of posts, again not sure the relevance of that, and location, that can be important. However, as we don’t have rep, so unless we have a “how big is you pack” option, for everyone to brag on that :)
I’m not sure if making the message box even smaller, heaven forefend the insanity of posting large pictures, is helpful.
I’m limited to a 14” screen and even now have to scroll across to see average size images. After all the content is what most of us are here for, isn’t it?

Me, I’d like all that type of guff, stuffed/hidden in the users profile, so that anyone who is interested, can click a radio button and check, and those who judge by the content rather that the quantity, can simply ignore it.
A rep system/thank you system should also not be so inyourface as to drive people to give rep where it was not deserved.

14 inch screen :eek: I feel for you :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
hm i think you're going a little over the top here mate, I just think that a lot of people are afraid of changing anything just becasue they
believe that boards like these are fragile and tomorrow all is down and will not be up in a matter of weeks.
However fact is vbulletin is hard as nails and you have to be litterlay stupid to break it, I have worked with this board since the very beginning
and there are so many wonderfull aditions were the community could benefit.

Trust me, I understand the logistics just fine.
It's the layout you suggest that I do not find appealing, or having to become familiar with another change when I would rather concentrate on the conversation.
If I want to know more about someone, I simply look at their profile.

Too many websites become all whistle and bells and no substance.

cheers,
Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, this is an interesting thread and I see all the perspectives.

First off, we're very familiar with vBulletin.com and vBulletin.Org, I go there a lot. I know that the forum software is very stable and I know that there's loads of additional things that can be fitted into and onto the forums.

In the past we've had many extras plugged into the forums, some good and some bad, what we have now is a nice clean forum, which is a great base to start from, at the moment we're doing some development with the site and when that's over we will consider a number of things that add functionality for the members.

Things do work ok, people know where things are and how they work and many are comfortable with this, I actually don't think this is an issue of resisting change and people stuck in their ways but more of a contentment and not wanting to change for changes sake. We've plans in place to move the site forward, integrate new things etc Some will like them and some not because nearly all the changes are nice things to have and what's nice to one person isn't always nice to the next, there's a lot of different perspectives.

Toddy definitely isn't one to shy away from change, technological or otherwise, she likes how things stand and wants a good reason for changing it, fair point I say.

Having the ability to thank people is great and we'll consider it but i'm not going to put it in right now because we're working on other things, having people's profiles under the name etc, maybe maybe not, I personally am not keen, and that's not because i'm resisting change ;)

When we've done some of the other things we're involved in right now we'll look more at this side of things, the forums are a part of the whole site so it's not just here we spend our time working etc.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Remeber the fuss when the whit4e background pages you now see came into effect? I think they were a beige colour before that. can't quite remember, but people commented on the brown and orange colour scheme when that came into effect all that time ago. Even I can't remeber what the forums looked like before The Great Crash a few years back.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>
Too many websites become all whistle and bells and no substance.

cheers,
Toddy

That says it all for me.

I don't mind admitting that I hate change.

If there's a really good reason for it, like preventing the violent demise of 10,000 kittens then I'll accept it, reluctantly.

On the whole it usually seems like we are told by some hidden power that things must change and evolve just because they should, but I don't like it.

I prefer it when things change on a more geological timetable. It works for nature so why do we have to be so different?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE