Nickname, Avatar placement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
my two pence worth, leave it alone, i've got used to it loking this way now as i am sure other longer serving members have, ofcourse we could always have a poll on it, any excuse :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> ofcourse we could always have a poll on it, any excuse :D

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........
scary.gif

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
For my 2 pennyworth i'd like it to stay the same - to my eye the other format looks tacky and cheap! :rolleyes: - this looks clean and profesional.....

I come here for the information and the friendship not to find out about who is saying what, people should be judged by their deeds / words

also I'd vote for the rep system back too - it works over on BB ok I wonder why it was abused here as I think here we are equally friendly if not more so than over there.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
it works over on BB ok I wonder why it was abused here
We tend to be a lot more tolerant in our moderation here .... if anyone had abused the rep system over on BB martyn would have just banned them ....no question. We rarely ban people here.... it takes alot to step over the line, and even then people are give 2nd, 3rd and even 4th chances to toe the line before they are banned...... it works over there because the site is just run differently.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can't you just reduce their rep power to nothing if they abuse the system?
Yes ... then we get accused of being nazis and picking on people ...... and we are accused of having a hidden agenda against certain groups (as friends stick together and all leave bad rep for people even if it doesn't concern them).... we've already lost staff due to things like this (including martyn owner of BB and stuart) .... is it really worth the agro?

Ed

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I always think it is a shame when the majority are constrained because of the actions of a small minority.

I think most of us know who it was that abused the system. It was always pretty obvious, just as it was obvious whenever they tried to swing votes in competitions their own way too.

The sad fact of the matter is that some petty people think that things like rep. are a measure of a persons worth. It's not, it's just a way of saying thank you, or I think that was good / kind / generous / or useful in an otherwise impersonal virtual world.

Of course it could also be used to be cruel, spiteful and mean at times. But then again, that really is a measure of a persons worth and it's one we are all aware of and do not forget.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
I always think it is a shame when the majority are constrained because of the actions of a small minority.

I think most of us know who it was that abused the system. It was always pretty obvious, just as it was obvious whenever they tried to swing votes in competitions their own way too.

The sad fact of the matter is that some petty people think that things like rep. are a measure of a persons worth. It's not, it's just a way of saying thank you, or I think that was good / kind / generous / or useful in an otherwise impersonal virtual world.

Of course it could also be used to be cruel, spiteful and mean at times. But then again, that really is a measure of a persons worth and it's one we are all aware of and do not forget.

but in all fairness, there are litteraly 1000 addons/vb hacks out there (www.vbulletin.org) that would add some nice features were you can thank another user for his contribution.

here is one I just found:

Post Thank You Hack 7.6

Admin have a look here, since this is a registerd vbulletin you have access to all the mods of course,
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122944&highlight=Post+Thank+You+Hack

About this hack:
One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.

There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.

Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.

Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.

What this hack does is fix ALL these problems - except those users who like post boosting. This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user clicks on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who clicks is placed in one box.

By giving your users the extra feature, you forum will look allot nice and organized. It is a guaranteed liking by ALL the members of your forum.

Features:

* Uses vBulletin easy Product installer/updater/uninstaller
* Uses AJAX technology so your users don't have to refresh when they thank.
* Places an easy to use button next to the edit button
* Separate looks for postbit and postbit_legacy
* Places all Thanks into one small box
* Uses only ONE query every time you view a showthread page!
* Users can't thank twice
* Option to not allow users to thank their own post
* Guests don't see 'thanks' button
* Counts how many thanks a user gives
* Counts how many thanks a post gets
* Shows how many thanks a user gave in every post of his
* Shows how many thanks a user gave in profile
* Shows how many thanks a user got
* Shows how many posts or a user are thanked
* Shows info in profile
* Search for a users thanked posts
* Search for all thanked posts
* Administrator can remove all Thanks from a single post
* Users can remove their own Thanks
* Turn on and off hack totally
* Turn on and off hack for only some forums
* Option to turn off hack for all but the first post of a thread
* Option to turn off hack for all but the first post of a thread in specific forums
* Option to turn off hack view of date for specific or all forums
* Option to add to post count when someone clicks 'thanks'.
* Option to give a user who receives thanks reputation points.
* Ban Usergroups
* Ban Users
* Uses Phrases
* Cache Templates
* Guaranteed to be liked by ALL users on your forum!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Cheers Nicolas :D ... We'll give this some serious consideration to be added into the next build of the site which we are currently working on. I much prefer the idea of a thank-you system over a rep system .... I think it will fit in well here.

Ed

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Cheers Nicolas :D ... We'll give this some serious consideration to be added into the next build of the site which we are currently working on. I much prefer the idea of a thank-you system over a rep system .... I think it will fit in well here.

Ed

Hi Ed

I don't know if you know vbulletin.org, they have a whole community around creating extensions and mods for the VB community, the hacks are all legal and well supported
And vb.org is now part of the vbulletin coporation.

it's an art form not to go nuts and to install a whole lot of mods, I always had the feeling that being very selective regarding the mods is a good and wise aproach.
However there are some seriously good mods out there that have no impact on your server load time etc and enhance the community by a great deal.
The thank you hack is only a small excample.

I'm sure there is a mod that can be used so that everybody can list his kit (for excample) and than share it out to the rest of the community, picture it as a link under your Avatar that says: My kit list and when you click on it you go to the members Options page and have his personal kit list, and maybe you can evern leave notes and suggestions.
If you want to i can have a look.

the nice thing about this community is that it is very grown up, so you guys don't have to deal with all the stuff I had to when I had my time of doing a lot of PC games pages etc.
I know there are people here that never want to see anything changed but you cannot deny the fact there are a lot of good aditions out there that are worth the try.

As long as you have a backup what can go wrong ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think I've made myself clear on this one.

The familiarity of knowing where things are; that they are where we expect them to be, is what we'd like retained. The general layout (format) of the pages and forums.

A thank you system instead of a rep system wouldn't change that, would it? (Nice link incidentally, thank you :) )
Your original posts Nicolas indicated an entirely new lay out with cramped area for speech and photos.
At present the 'header bar' of every post 'reads' straight across, like a book, from left to right.

The layout you linked to is used on another forum I belong to, and to be honest, it's a pain.
Instead of the message being the focus, the bio of the postee kind of screams, "Look at me!"

Just my tuppence worth.

cheers,
Toddy

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Relax Toddy! :D Where I've seen a Thank You system in use, there is a single button in the centre at the same level as the quote button. I don't see why that couldn't be done within the current layout, or some sort of button where the rep button used to sit.

Actually I've just looked again and it's a button that sits next to the quote button.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE