Nice long log fire demonstration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just had a very Christmassy visit to Skansen open air museum in Stockholm. There were quite a few Bushcrafty things going on as on our previous visits. This guy had a really nice long log fire going. I've normally seen the logs just lying on each other, but this air gap method looks very controllable with different sizes of green sticks keeping the dead-standing logs apart.
IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Demonstrator said it was good for 8 hrs. We were at the museum 4hrs, and it was still going well. It had to be maintained slightly, in that the ash / charcoal produced had to be scraped away, so as not to insulate the burning logs from each other. About 1 hrs work for two guys to set up though he said.
Kind of a big Bushy two bar fire!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's just........that's just brilliant :D
Full body length warmth for two folk from one log :)

Wonder if you could use firestones to keep the spacing ? Why don't the flames from the bottom log wrap round the top one though and burn it away much more quickly ?

I bet the fellow down wind gets a bit worried at times too :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting :D

cheers,
Toddy

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
That geezer looks the biz as well!
I used to have one of those Norwegian sweaters!
I quite fancy one again! Any ideas folks?
Nice post,thanks!
Chris.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Skansen is a very special place, I would love to visit in winter. I am guessing you need pretty bone dry softwood for this fire? Easy to find standing dead if you are in northern softwood forest but not in the UK. I reckon your man could save a lot of effort on keeping warm if he didn't shave his head or wore a hat.:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks DavidJT,can't find the prices! What am I doing wrong?
Cheers.
Chris.

They're not setup for online ordering yet Chris

Online ordering is currently not available however please browse the site and see what we have to offer. We stock a wide range of DALE, Devold and Janus products; not all are on our site yet but can be viewed at the respective manufacturer sites.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I had a pair of those boots years ago, they have a notch cut in the heel for attaching your ski's i got them from a reenactment kit seller for about 15quid unissued.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
They look like they are designed to take a telemark ski binding: square toe and a notch at the back to retain the cable binding

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE