nice evening fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
went to my local beach (mersey estuary) bagged 15 whiting and a dab this evening, one whiting was a taker and so was the dab. Thats tomorrows tea taken care of :D

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice haul, ive had a good evenings fishing too, just got 2500 twelve inch bream on order for the lake:)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I live near Coombe Abbey. In its hayday it was probably the best bream fishery in the country. Its a shallow water with an average depth of 4ft and sadly cormorants have had a massive impact. There are still some big slabs to be had but its barely fished these days apart from the carp boys. They seem to think a double figure bream is a nuisance fish

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i cut my teeth on one of wirrals lakes with the largest head of bream, cracking match fish in its day. Its a crying shame everyones carp crazy these days and it good to hear someone is still stocking other species. Personally you cant beat a 2lb roach, large perch but tench has to be my favourite quarry. All this talk of F1's and ponds full of carp has made coarse fishing lose its thrill for me. Natural estate lakes, canals and rivers still have there magic i guess

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i cut my teeth on one of wirrals lakes with the largest head of bream, cracking match fish in its day. Its a crying shame everyones carp crazy these days and it good to hear someone is still stocking other species. Personally you cant beat a 2lb roach, large perch but tench has to be my favourite quarry. All this talk of F1's and ponds full of carp has made coarse fishing lose its thrill for me. Natural estate lakes, canals and rivers still have there magic i guess

I refuse to buy Carp for our lakes anymore, got too many of the things now, from mere ounces to 25lb plus, i have to order a load of Tench & Crucians this week to go in a couple of the smaller ponds at the lakes, one lake alone two years ago, i put 1000 Tench to 4lb in, we have Perch to over 3lb and Roach & Rudd to over 2lb, Chub to 6lb and some of the biggest Gudgeon you have ever seen:)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Its a crying shame everyones carp crazy these days

not me that craze has passed me by, i still prefer to fish the rivers, yes a big perch is a wonderful fish indeed (was it dick walker that described them as the biggest fish of all, referring to their bold looks) and they have made a tremendous comeback.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
not me that craze has passed me by, i still prefer to fish the rivers, yes a big perch is a wonderful fish indeed (was it dick walker that described them as the biggest fish of all, referring to their bold looks) and they have made a tremendous comeback.

Not me either. Boring fat swimming cows. Give me the fight of a good tench. Or the pace of a large perch over a bloated moo fish anyday.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I refuse to buy Carp for our lakes anymore, got too many of the things now, from mere ounces to 25lb plus, i have to order a load of Tench & Crucians this week to go in a couple of the smaller ponds at the lakes, one lake alone two years ago, i put 1000 Tench to 4lb in, we have Perch to over 3lb and Roach & Rudd to over 2lb, Chub to 6lb and some of the biggest Gudgeon you have ever seen:)

Hi, is it your own private lake or a day-ticket fishery, referring to spiritwalkers post i was told by a bailiff that F1's aren't able to breed which is why they are stocked so population can be maintained more efficiently and rarely grow beyond 5-6lb, a 3lb perch is a lovely fish as is a 6lb chub though i have never caught a chub from stillwater.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hi, is it your own private lake or a day-ticket fishery, referring to spiritwalkers post i was told by a bailiff that F1's aren't able to breed which is why they are stocked so population can be maintained more efficiently and rarely grow beyond 5-6lb, a 3lb perch is a lovely fish as is a 6lb chub though i have never caught a chub from stillwater.

It's a private complex of six lakes that im the Fishery Manager of, no day tickets, but club membership is open to all.:)

You are spot on with F1's they are sterile so cant they cant breed - allegedly, a couple of our members wanted us to buy a load of F1's and stick them in one of the six lakes i manage at the complex, but i have a trump card up my sleeve where non native species are concerned, as the water that flows out of the sluice at the bottom end of the complex, eventually ends up in the River Adur, we cant stock any species that is not naturally found in the River by law, we would never get a Section 30 from the EA for non natives.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
ah the good old Gudgeon. We used to have competitions on the Trent to see how many you could catch on the same maggot.

we still have the same type of comp for Gudgeon bashing :) , so what was your record then?.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Not me either. Boring fat swimming cows. Give me the fight of a good tench. Or the pace of a large perch over a bloated moo fish anyday.

Exactly, id rather catch 10lb of small Roach in a day, than a single 10lb Carp

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
It's a private complex of six lakes that im the Fishery Manager of, no day tickets, but club membership is open to all.:)

Hi, i see your location is Sussex, that's a long way from me unfortunately, i have never fished in your area, i remember many years ago reading an article by dick walker predicting that the future of fishing lay in pools, it proved to come true, mostly i fish rivers myself but they have suffered somewhat with flooding this year, one advantage with pools though i suppose is that they don't have that problem to the same degree.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hi, i see your location is Sussex, that's a long way from me unfortunately, i have never fished in your area, i remember many years ago reading an article by dick walker predicting that the future of fishing lay in pools, it proved to come true, mostly i fish rivers myself but they have suffered somewhat with flooding this year, one advantage with pools though i suppose is that they don't have that problem to the same degree.

Lake / still water fishing was certainly more popular, but we have noticed a swing back to the rivers recently, which can only be good, we control approx seven miles of fishing rights on three rivers, Arun, Adur & the Western Rother, the Arun has been throwing up some superb Barbel this season, 14lb plus and loads of low doubles, well, when it's not been in flood, but even then it's good fishing if you have good watercraft and can see where to fish.

Fishing the Arun & Adur is a challenge though as they are both tidal, with the Arun being the second fastest tidal river in England, the fastest being the Severn.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Lake / still water fishing was certainly more popular, but we have noticed a swing back to the rivers recently, which can only be good, we control approx seven miles of fishing rights on three rivers, Arun, Adur & the Western Rother, the Arun has been throwing up some superb Barbel this season, 14lb plus and loads of low doubles, well, when it's not been in flood, but even then it's good fishing if you have good watercraft and can see where to fish.

Fishing the Arun & Adur is a challenge though as they are both tidal, with the Arun being the second fastest tidal river in England, the fastest being the Severn.

Hi kepis, coincidentally that's what i have been doing for the last few years, targetting the big barbel, my brother lives on the confluence of the river Rea/Teme in Worcestershire and i have had some very good fish there, my best though so far is 13.5lb from the severn by worcester, the barbel do feed well in high water but it doesn't please my brother though as he has suffered some flooding.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
we still have the same type of comp for Gudgeon bashing :) , so what was your record then?.

It was many moons ago but ill bet it was a good two dozen. The Trent at Thrumpon was an amazing fishery. the power station put out warm water below the weir year round so it was great in the winter too. It used to be on the Coventry DAA book but i think its now a syndicate water.

They were good times and my gear still sits in the garage but sadly doesnt get used as often as it should. ive never understood why people want to fish a hole in the ground with a ton of carp in. Makins or whatever its called these days is just up the road from me but its not fishing as far as im concerned.

Im currently on the hunt for a cheap travel rod (not telescopic and must fit in my 70l bergen) so if you hear of anything do let me know. Needs to cover river spinning for trout, pike, perch and light sea work for when i go to Estonia in spring

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
The lake where I fish is stuffed with carp, and is usually akin to a squatters camp with semi permanent camps set up on every peg. Thousands of pounds worth of electronics, carbon fibre, double and triple skinned bivvies and the curse of any lake, a flotilla of bait boats.

I tend to appear with very little gear on the basis of, "if I can't carry all I need in one go, I don't need it," and, being disabled, I don't carry a lot!

My recent best fish was a 3.5lb perch, a wonderful fish and one I feel blessed to have caught. My catch was greeted with notes of commiseration from the carp boys as it was considered to be no more of a nuisance and was getting in the way of 'proper' fish!

Come back Mr Crabtree and teach these guys the true value of fishing!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
went to my local beach (mersey estuary) bagged 15 whiting and a dab this evening, one whiting was a taker and so was the dab. Thats tomorrows tea taken care of :D

Where abouts did you go? Just down the road my self and its been an age since I wet a sea line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE