NI Patrol Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Urban

Banned
Aug 12, 2007
As I now have three of these I would like to swap one.

It is a brand new DPM Webtext NI Patrol Pack 30-50ltrs, very comfortable and an exact copy of the issue one. Brand new condition and I would like to swap it for something useful/interesting....

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've ben thinking about this thread for a couple of days, dishonesty really p*sses me off. While I'm sure the vast majority of swaps are genuine and successful, I thought perhaps it might be worth suggesting an additional set of safeguards for these kind of transactions:

If a user has less than say 50 - 100 posts then :

1) they should either wait until they have contributed more to the group, or get someone who is more "senior" to vouch for their veracity.

2) It's possible that they just don't contribute, I'm sure there are a huge number of lurkers. Therefore, in the case that they do not know anyone else they should be prepared to post out first.

On eBay, for example, we judge a user by their feedback the higher the positive number the more secure we feel. With no disrespect to anyone, I would feel more secure swapping an item with say tomtom above, who has almost 4000 posts here than someone with fewer, especially someone with 5 posts.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Having had a few bad deals on here over the last year i have become very reluctant to deal with new members.
That said everyone is a new member at some time and it's up to the buyer to do as much as you can before entering into a transaction to satisfy yourself that the individual is genuine.
Asking for eBay or other forum references is one way to check credit history or ask for full contact details and use them to further the deal to ensure they are who they say they are.
At the end of the day even deals with trusted and respected members of the community can go bad so you enter into any deals at your own risk.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
At the end of the day even deals with trusted and respected members of the community can go bad so you enter into any deals at your own risk.

You make a good point there rapidboy, though it's possibly easier to find out why it's gone bad if the person is well-known within this community.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've ben thinking about this thread for a couple of days, dishonesty really p*sses me off. While I'm sure the vast majority of swaps are genuine and successful, I thought perhaps it might be worth suggesting an additional set of safeguards for these kind of transactions:

If a user has less than say 50 - 100 posts then :

1) they should either wait until they have contributed more to the group, or get someone who is more "senior" to vouch for their veracity.

2) It's possible that they just don't contribute, I'm sure there are a huge number of lurkers. Therefore, in the case that they do not know anyone else they should be prepared to post out first.

On eBay, for example, we judge a user by their feedback the higher the positive number the more secure we feel. With no disrespect to anyone, I would feel more secure swapping an item with say tomtom above, who has almost 4000 posts here than someone with fewer, especially someone with 5 posts.

That's some food for thought.

First of all it's a shame the BCUK Swapsection is misused and abused,
Tony said:
Uti, non abuti - To use, not abuse
and as far I'm concerned a ban is in it's place here. Though that decission is up to Them With The Power.

Second there's a reason to be cautious for every member, eventhough it's here on BCUK, where 99% of it's (active) members are fantastic, and IMHO an example of how the world should be like. This (BCUK) is still the internet and you can't see the person on the other end of the wire ... I have to repeat Rapidboy's comment being it [using the BCUK Swap facility is] on your own risk.

A mon avis (that's french ;) ), using a minimal amount of posts would not be very effective, as there are people who only post to add up their postcount (for instance: using the same welcome text in the Introductionsection repetitively) - hence, you're not informed well enough to make a judgement on one's credibillity.

I would suggest, if Admin has thoughts to adjust the rules and would go along with the idea of a minimal amount of posts, to:
1. Put the minimal amount on (for say) 300, and (cumulative)
2. Being a member for a minimal period of (for say) 9 months.

This way you:
- prevent a quick and deliberate adding up of post count by making simple easy posts just to gain the right to swap
- due to a longer time of being a member, people 'will get to know you' (ieg if you're thrustworthy enough) (...) which could make it easier for one to make a decission to agree on an offer to swap.

I would think such a system is fair, although it's no guarentee by far that all swaps by then will run smooth ...
On participating in the Members Classifieds there's the rule of being a Full Member, why not adding some more strict regulation on the Swap section aswell? Though this for all BCUK members (who fullfill all above - or other, made by Admin - criteria).

Another idea, though more labour intensive for Admin, is either:
1. Admin and the mods decide if you are allowed to swap, no matter what amount of posts you've got or the amount of time you're a (normal) member;
Downside of this only most active members (those you can name by heart if I wake you up in the middle of the night) are allowed to swap, just because their active and participate.
or
2. Block all members and only gain acces after contact (formal request and by leaving all contact details) with a mod / Admin.
or
3. It's also possible to use the method as descripted as above under 2 and using minimal posts & membership period, though that would a bit to steep I reckon ...

My 2 € cents

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Having had a few bad deals on here over the last year i have become very reluctant to deal with new members.
That said everyone is a new member at some time and it's up to the buyer to do as much as you can before entering into a transaction to satisfy yourself that the individual is genuine.
Asking for eBay or other forum references is one way to check credit history or ask for full contact details and use them to further the deal to ensure they are who they say they are.

Well Said :)

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
The British Blades rep system is also worth consideration, i don't know why more forums dost use a system like that.
You can see instantly a members trading/buying/selling history.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
His account hasn't been nuked mainly because no one has been able to be bothered yet. He didn't post much in the first place, and is unlikely to do so now anyway. Anyway, wishes granted.

I am not sure how the trading rep system works differently from the regular rep system. When we had a rep system here, various members, some no longer with us and some of their mates that remained, merrily went around boosting each other's rep for the hell of it and negative reping people they didn't see eye to eye with. It caused a fair bit of bad feeling and more hassle than it was felt that it was worth.

It is all food for though, but I don't expect that any changes will be brought till the new year.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Just look at the threads they have added to in swaps/sales and do a little legwork.

I am in a trade with a noob, this hasn't made me question it. If I lose I lose, but I'm not going to think they all go that way.

I've just traded my car in as it's had a new clutch, gearbox, engine management system, engine and turbo. I have to force from my mind the possibility of the same happening on the new one because it's unlikely.

Once bitten is fair enough, but this has hardly ever happened here or on BB. Lets not ruin the good thing all but a small handful have developed. Too much good has been traded.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE