Newfoundland, Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boreal Boy

Nov 16, 2011
Cold Lake, Alberta Canada
Last month I two week trip to Newfoundland and thought I would take you all on a trip. I went to Newfoundland with my wife to retrieve our kids from My in-laws where they had been for three weeks prior to our trip "home"...... Oh yeah, went moose hunting too! :D
This wasn't primarily a moose hunting trip as we had lots of family to visit but seeing how my buddy/father-in-law had his moose tags we were able to get away about every other day.
I did get my moose! But, just so happened that the day we ended up getting it was the most miserable day I have ever hunted in so the camera and non-essential non-waterproof kit did not make the trip. So, if course I got the moose that day. So, I have no "hero pics" but thought I would still post the other pics.
enough jibber-jabber...

first few pics are of "the country"..... lets take a walk.....

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8635.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8642.jpg

So that was some of our moose hunting grounds.
Next is a spot called "salt pond". when the tide goes out it leaves pools and grassy fields, a great spot to watch or hunt a variety of birds and waterfowl.

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

IMG_8659.jpg

and next, one of my favorite spots in "our" area..."Pickets Brook flachets". What a spot! The trail in/moose highway is a scenic boggy trail (as is all of the island) what a spot to walk up on a moose (tons of sign, i tried to take some pics of them) then, what a spot for water fowl and beyond that a bog home to many moose and finally, I wont even talk about the monster 45cm+ Brookies waiting to take your fly!

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

IMG_8654.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_8646.jpg

IMG_8647.jpg

another thing about this land, you don't carry water or water purifying "kits" into the woods, Only a cup! the water in the brooks and ponds are as pure, clean as it gets and great/safe to drink. In fact, all the towns get there water from a nearby pond and the water is untreated.

Floral and fauna...

some mosses and lichen
IMG_8649.jpg

Moss and a young tamarack
IMG_8657.jpg

Blueberries.....NO!, I mean the best dang blueberries you will ever taste!!!!
IMG_8631.jpg

This pics is of "Partridge berries" (lingonberries). My father-in-Law told me a story years ago as we gathered these tart vitamin filled berries. They keep so well that back in the days before refrigeration and electricity (his childhood) they would bring a barrel(s) in the woods and fill it with these berries and water and leave them in the woods. Once the land was frozen they would head back in with there Newfoundland pony hauling a sled and bring them home. They would leave them outside all winter and whenever the needed berries for jam or "puddings"... they would go out with an axe and chop out a chunk and thaw it out.....
IMG_8632.jpg

Labrador Tea
IMG_8628.jpg

Whisky jack keeping us company berry picking
IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8627.jpg

Ok, I am almost done. next few pics are of a not uncommon occurance, rather then having supper in the house we would cross the road down to the beach, find a spot in the cove shealterd from the wind and have a campfire cook-up on the rocks while the kids explored the beach exposed by the low tide and we sat back and watched the sunset. Until the tide forced us to higher ground.
IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_8644.jpg

My kids call a tripod over the fire a "hot chocolate machine". Took the kids "moose hunting" ;)
IMG_8624.jpg

the Newfoundland modo should be "Bushcraft lives here"

a few pics on the drive to the ferry on the way home. hope you enjoyed!

IMG_8661.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Great pics, just the kind of country I like. The Maritime provinces are beautiful. I've been to Nova Scotia but not to Newfoundland unfortunately. Maybe some day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE