Newest addition to my survival tin!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
A ciggerette! yes a good old fag! dry tinder at the bottom in form of a filter, and then lighting it would be a good way of carrying an ember around small distances, plus if your really stressed mite calm your nerves smoking :lmao: anyone else tried this? i got one inside the middle finger of a latex glove tied at the top to keep it dry and fits well in the tobacco tin!!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
:D

well i don't personally. but i have always said that a couple of ciggys are well worth having if you're so inclined. back in my real engineering days, a sit down outside with a coffee and a fag often provided the insight to overcoming otherwise insurmountable problems. just the thing in a Real Life Survival Scenario, aka the RLSS :lmao:

cheers, and.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Here we go,
Cue discussion on which brand is best, king size or regular, which filters burn longest, etc etc.

Good idea BB, I've often though that a burning ember from a cigerette would be a good way of seperating the skills of "ember creation" and "flame generation".

Good thinking that man.

ATB

Ogri the trog

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
Umm,
Not smoked packet cigs myself for ages, but unless I'm mistaken, the filter is fibreglass or somesuch, is it not?

Has it changed? Can you kindle a spark with it?

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Hear in the USA the cigarettes are made safety now. If you leave it burning by it self frist 1/4 in. or so goes out. Half way up goes out it goes out 3 times plus the filter i think is fiberglass or something like that cause it just melts gets hard

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
TwoFourAlpha said:
Umm,
Not smoked packet cigs myself for ages, but unless I'm mistaken, the filter is fibreglass or somesuch, is it not?

Has it changed? Can you kindle a spark with it?

Cigarette filters are made of ‘cellulose acetate’ which is a type of plastic. Left on it own takes between 10 months to 2 year to break down. If it has been used (ie the cigarette smoked,) it contains amongst other chemicals Benzo-a-pyrene: Arsenic: Acetone; Ammonia: Benzene; Butane; Cadmium; Formaldehyde: Toluene: Lead: all of which are toxic.
Instead of a cigarette why not take the similar sized piece of “fat wood” which has the advantage of being water proof. It will light with a single match, and if used carefully (split and used as feather sticks) is more than enough to start several fires.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As an ex smoker can I propose a couple of pieces of nicotine gum?
All the relaxing properties of the ciggy, - stores better, none of the health issues, lasts a lot longer, keeps your mouth moist if water is short and burns for a long time with a fierce heat so is a better option for fire lighting - and it will not get me readdicted to the cr*p that comes in smokes!
John

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I tried this to see if it would work it did very good not as hot as the sticks.I put a piece fungus in a hand warmer this piece last 3 hours. So if you put bigger mite last all day plus before you leave in the morning put one in be ready at lunch time to use light you fire .Then put a new piece at lunch be there at night time.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
A little off topic but, the way my lungs feel in the morning sometimes, I can't think of a cig in anyway enhancing survival! I think I would rather be stranded with no smokes and kick the habit than try to use one for keeping myself alive. Does that make any sense? It is late:) Cheers!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I find a pipe a lot better. The benefits of smoking without inhaling (nicoine is still absorbed into the bloodstream) and the smoke is great for keeping midges off your face. I find a pipe helps me concetrate and focus and get my head together.

With a pipe, you are not restricted to tobacco either. I've smoked marshmallow (the herb) and dried crushed bramble leaves when I've been out in the middle of nowhere and have run out of baccy.

Of course, it's better not to smoke at all.

Eric

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Eric_Methven said:
Of course, it's better not to smoke at all.Eric

Don't forget that even if you don't inhale (Pipe / Cigars / Chewin' baccy) you can still wind up with cancers in the mouth, throat or gut!

Just thought I'd cheer you all up :nana:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Tadpole said:
Instead of a cigarette why not take the similar sized piece of “fat wood” which has the advantage of being water proof. It will light with a single match, and if used carefully (split and used as feather sticks) is more than enough to start several fires.

'cause you can't smoke it? :rolleyes: obviously, a cigarette's no good if you don't smoke already. :D

i think the idea of the cigarette is part of the S.T.O.P philosophy. ie: have a sit down and a think about whatever is going wrong &c.

i used to get ex-army cigarette tins from a place in oxford, little scew top jobs with a rubber seal. you had to smoke embassy No1s cause the tins were too short for kingsize ciggies.

cheers, and.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
sargey said:
'cause you can't smoke it? :rolleyes: obviously, a cigarette's no good if you don't smoke already. :D

i think the idea of the cigarette is part of the S.T.O.P philosophy. ie: have a sit down and a think about whatever is going wrong &c.

i used to get ex-army cigarette tins from a place in oxford, little scew top jobs with a rubber seal. you had to smoke embassy No1s cause the tins were too short for kingsize ciggies.

cheers, and.
ok so take some fatwood pine and a teabag, that way you can follow the S.T.O.P philosophy. of course it is only helpful if you drink tea, :rolleyes:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Keeping this in the realm of Bushcraft, when I was about 12 yrs old we used to take newspaper and roll some tree bark into it and smoke it. Tasted like a campfire:) We called them Barkos.

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
wizard said:
Keeping this in the realm of Bushcraft, when I was about 12 yrs old we used to take newspaper and roll some tree bark into it and smoke it. Tasted like a campfire:) We called them Barkos.

.... ... thats the sort of thing that can only be done when your 12 its the only time in your life youd even consider doing something as completly obscure as that.
Josh

Feb 10, 2007
London
Eric_Methven said:
I find a pipe a lot better. The benefits of smoking without inhaling (nicoine is still absorbed into the bloodstream) and the smoke is great for keeping midges off your face. I find a pipe helps me concetrate and focus and get my head together.

With a pipe, you are not restricted to tobacco either. I've smoked marshmallow (the herb) and dried crushed bramble leaves when I've been out in the middle of nowhere and have run out of baccy.

Of course, it's better not to smoke at all.

Eric

I have a pipe but don't smoke at all it just helps me to concentrate! Must be a condor moment :lmao:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Tadpole said:
ok so take some fatwood pine and a teabag, that way you can follow the S.T.O.P philosophy. of course it is only helpful if you drink tea, :rolleyes:

please may i swap mine for a coffee bag? :rolleyes: :lmao:

cheers,and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE