My Traditional Style Bushcraft Kit (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Hi Guys!

So as I’ll be giving the Boone Challenge a go in a few weeks time, I thought I’d do a quick write up on my kit I use. Right start off with a bit of back story, I wouldn’t say I’m trying to achieve anything like an 18th centaury style kit here but there is a definite traditional style to it, as you’ll see.

I used to use the classic modern light weight kit like a lot of people and I still will when I go hiking and in winter time when more kit is required. However I have recently discovered that this more traditional way of doing things, is a much more enjoyable way to carry out bushcraft in my opinion. Allot heavier and bulkier meaning you carry less, but this means you get back to the essence of bushcraft, creating things you need and taking time to cook on an open fire.

My kit is heavily inspired by the voyageurs of Canada with their simple but effective way of life and I also incorporate my love of fantasy into my kit although I have allot more to add!

Ok so we’ll start off with clothing!

These are a pair of Scarpa walking boots, amazingly comfortable over long distance walking and when carrying a heavy pack. With complete gortex lining these are amazing in winter, keeping your feet dry and warm in all weathers.

The problem with big heavy duty walking boots is if you’re just going for an overnighter in your local woodland or short walk, then they’re too much! So I bought these light weight suede boots. There incredibly comfortably and keep my feet nice and cool in the warm weather.

Now for trouser’s, these are simple heavy cotton combats. Cool in summer and with plenty of space for a pair of jogging bottom underneath in the winter make for an incredibly cosy pair of all weather trousers. As for the cargo pockets don’t know where I’d be without them, so useful for stuffing tinder and other stuff in!

My wool shirt is a beaut in my eyes! I wear it as my middle layer as it’s perfect for keeping the wind of and is durable for walking through the bush!

Nothing special about the hat, apart from it sets the look of. I think you’ll agree aha!

Now on to the kit!
This is my canvas tarp, not very big just big enough to get me under and my pack. Don’t want anything huge as canvas is heavy. There is a wool blanket rolled up in it as well, just in case your thinking the roll is large aha!

The good old wool blanket! Been with me to many places, wouldn’t trade it for anything. Extra comfort in the winter and just what you need in the warmer months.

Now for the heaviest part, the canvas bedroll. Not entirely necessary but I wouldn’t go without it. 12oz cotton canvas, so it’s built to last. It gives a good layer from that spiky spruce bow bedding. Waxed so provides a water proof layer from the ground and keeps off the chill at night when your snug inside it!

Simple but effective rope, made from jute twine. No need for paracord with an insane breaking strain, when you just holding a lean to shelter up and besides, it’s a nice touch!.

A simple billycan, easiest way to boil up your water for drinks and cooking, a long wooden spoon to stir and serve, accompanied with a scraper to clean the burnt bottom out later! The only thing I’d particularly like to add is a kettle, so I can be boiling water for a drink while cooking in the billycan.

To accompany the above, I have a simply steel pan for frying up the bacon in a morning, the one thing a billycan can’t do aha! Could cook the bacon over the fire but I don’t like the dried out taste. Going to be trading this out for a cast iron pan at some point!

The tomahawk is a versatile tool, not the best axe I could carry, my SMA does a much easier job of splitting, so I take that in the colder months. However in summer when the fire burns slower and less fuel is required a tomahawk does the job just fine and it’s a nice looking tool to a bit different from your typical axe.

Now for the haversack, I carry this as well as my pack as when I’m at camp it gives me something to use to carry essentials when out scouting/walking as I’m not a belt carry kind of person (drives me mad in all honesty). This nice waxed cotton haversack from the pathfinder school that I won is beautiful for just that!

Inside the haversack now!
I carry my fire lighting kit, which consists of a traditional flint and steel set, best way of lighting a fire in my opinion and a lot more satisfactory, be it a little more effort. A tinder tin, filled with birch bark, cramp balls and other bits that I find! Then a soft leather pouch with some particularly fibrous material in for the nest.

My knife, 2 is all that is needed, the simpler the better! A large full tang blade for the heavy duty around camp work and then a small folder for food tasks and such. All kept in the haversack so I know where they are.

Nothing fancy here, just my pipe and tobacco for a good old smoke at night!

My leather journal, I try and carry this when I have the space. I like to log new things that I find, for my own sanity. There’s so much to discover in this hobby it’s hard to remember it all!

This is a favourite of mine, my leather water/wine skin. Traditional looking and particularly useful for drinking on the trail. This one holds 1 litre, which is just enough to get to camp before getting more water on the boil to refill.

And it’s all carried in an Italian army canvas pack, plenty big enough for everything and food for a few days. Digs into the shoulders slightly as it’s not a modern pack, but if they could carry them for miles back in the day why can’t we now?

Just to finish up here’s a picture of it all set up! Hope you enjoyed this read!

Many thanks for reading.
Brian.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Oh man I like your set up!

Can't wait to read your Boone challenge report :D.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Great set up. That's a nice wool shirt you have there.

I would love to pick up some canvas gear myself in the future.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Very nice...................the hat is a Kakadu is it not ? ( I won't be so nerdish as to state the model :rolleyes:)

One thing to remember when lugging around uncomfortable army rucksacks.....& that is the soldiers are paid & ordered to carry them.we ain't :D

Fantastic photos by the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE