Newborns

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is it a seasonal thing JD?

Do they give birth in time for the young to "fatten" up before Winter arrives?

Unusually, for me, this is a serious question.

Females give birth every two years between late August and October. For the adult females it can take its toll in terms of health as they fast prior to birth and it is so close to the hibernation period when they do eventually drop. They then take a few days to rest before the need to feed extensively before the cold weather comes to build up strength and stamina to survive the winter. It takes a full year for them to get back up to health, sometimes longer with younger females.

The young don't need to feed so much as they are at peak health upon being born. They do have voracious appetites though and eat whatever they can, including adult lizards which can be wider and longer than they are. I've seen a young adder eat a lizard so big that he couldn't bend afterwards at all. Generally they feed upon the prolific supply of juvenile common lizards that are available. The more they eat before going into hibernation, the greater the size and ability to handle the winter months. Pickings are lean when they come out of hibernation in mid to late February, so what they do now will increase their chances of survival into the next year.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wow- great pics! Thanks for sharing. Do you have a snake hospital or something?

Not really, but I work with vipers daily and people and organisations are constantly ringing me with rescues and/or injured animals. I like to go out and deal with these problems as sometimes a non-native species does turn up which can be exciting. The female in question here was a long term patient of a fellow consultant herpetologist as her injuries require special feeding methods. She was housed in a vivarium with a male who last year had most of his tail chopped off by a lawn mower or something. He didn't hibernate and we assumed his hemipenes had both been destroyed, but is looks like at least one is intact and working. His injuries where that bad that he didn't have a hibernation period last year, which usually stops their instinctive natural breeding cycle. Obviously didn't in this case.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The mother has just shed her skin, all looking very healthy...

DSC08181.jpg

Here's a close up of the lens, which is a modified scale that covers the eyes.

DSC08182.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Any uses for the shead skin JD ? Hat band? or is it fragile?

Too fragile for something like that, if they got damp they would start to break up. I use them as passarounds when doing talks and how to ID species through finding their skins and doing scale counts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE