newbie torch question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi Guys,

I have just got a beautiful GSD x Malamute puppy and am hence finding myself spending many a night walking him on the local heath. I thought I'd use this excuse to buy myself a new torch and as the technology has leaped since I last bought one thought I'd ask for the benefit of the collective wisdom of you guys as to what to buy and where from. The criteria so far is:

2 levels of brightness, one to see just ahead of me (kinda headtorch strength, perhaps a little more) and a brighter focused beam for a long distance (kinda where's the dog got to strength)

To use AA or AAA batteries (as I've got a free supply - don't ask :D )

Pocket size, ie not like one of the huge maglite jobs but not a keyfob job either.

And cheap (don't ask for much do I haha)

All help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Kim

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Just got a zebra head torch (on CR123's but they do a aa version to). It is a fantastic light, putting my petzl to shame.

It is also useful as a carry light as well. Direct from china took 5 working days, and I have to say the quality although not as good a s say a surefire, is very good.

It has 3 light levels, and all are useful, the first is ok to read by, but the second is good for walking while the third is excellent for blinding potential assailants.

Chris

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks Wastoid, I had considered them but wanted something larger and heard that they heat up quite a lot. Thanks though.

Kim

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
take a look at fenix torches. available in AA, AAA and CR123 variants, reasonably priced, good quality, variable outputs, and a variety of models, so one would probably suit you. I don't own one myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
I have a fenix ld20 which gives superb light for days on end, cost about 40 quid so not exactly cheap, if you want good light for less than a tenner try a energizer head torch, these give good light and have a red mode to preserve night vision.
I also have a pocket torch by energizer which cost 3 quid from a local hardware shop which is very good, it takes 4 AAA's and has two modes, one a basic spot light and also converts into a lantern for area light, the torch mode is very good for three quid and is better than my led maglite 2AA.

I've got each of the following which I would fully recommend:

Headtorch:
Petzl Myo XP (sourced from Lakeland Bushcraft Trading) around £46.50 all-in
3x AA batteries, 3 light levels, plus strobe and boost - for long distance work

Hand-held torch:
Nitecore D10 (sourced from Flashaholics) £40
single AA battery, infinitely variable brightness from low level to very bright (obviously), with useful function to go to low or full beam at a click.

Neither torch is particularly cheap, but I would say both are worth the money.

No links to either supplier other than a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi Guys,

I have just got a beautiful GSD x Malamute puppy and am hence finding myself spending many a night walking him on the local heath. I thought I'd use this excuse to buy myself a new torch and as the technology has leaped since I last bought one thought I'd ask for the benefit of the collective wisdom of you guys as to what to buy and where from. The criteria so far is:

2 levels of brightness, one to see just ahead of me (kinda headtorch strength, perhaps a little more) and a brighter focused beam for a long distance (kinda where's the dog got to strength)

To use AA or AAA batteries (as I've got a free supply - don't ask :D )

Pocket size, ie not like one of the huge maglite jobs but not a keyfob job either.

And cheap (don't ask for much do I haha)

All help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Kim

Here's a bit of lateral thinking which might help with your last point. I have walked dogs myself in the UK for many years and at one point had a black lab who loved to play a game which consisted of running about 5 or 10m past the point where we could see him and then following us, keeping out of sight. We found out what he was doing when I fitted one of those flashing red LED lights to his collar! Dogs apparently cant see the same spectrum as us and these lights appear to be invisible to them. Imagine his surprise when we could direct our commands straight at him...also worked on our current dog (a greyhound) but needed a more robust fitting to make sure it didnt fall off as he ran...hope this helps

I

IRtech

If you only want to spend the minimum amount the with you free supply of AAA batteries the go to ARGOS and get the cheap Energiser head torch for £9:99,,,before you concider spending silly amounts on Petzel which will break in the same time,,so 10 quid for 6 LEDs 4 white 2 red and 4 lighting modes and if you loose or break it ,just get another 1.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE