Newbie Tentipi owner - stupid questions!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 5, 2009
Bucks, UK
Hi all

I've been lurking whilst I learned more about outdoor living and tipis.

My other half and I have a small wood and also enjoy proper camping (preferably in the middle of nowhere). Our old tent was a well used, fairly conventional frame tent which took too long to put up and certainly wasn't suitable to have a fire inside. So, after much thinking and reading of this forum (and the SoTP forum), we took the plunge and bought a Tentipi Safir 7 from Nordic Outdoor No floor, no inner tent, just the tipi itself (couldn't afford any extras!!!)

And now, I have some silly questions which I hope some of you more experienced Tentipi owners can help with...

Firstly, we put it up the other day and it's lovely. Having read about the recent issues with Tentipi, I was a bit sceptical (and prepared to send it back if there was the slightest thing wrong). It went up a treat, seems to be extremely well made, and of course it looks absolutely lovely.

Not sure about a couple of things though
1. guy ropes - do I need to use them in normal weather conditions (ie fairly sheltered spot without strong winds)?
2. the green lower valance - what do I do with it? Peg it out? Fold it underneath (then peg it inside)? Roll it up in hot weather? Too many options!
3. I can see how the inner door can roll up and be neatly held back. How do I keep the outer door open - doesn't seem to be any loops or toggles for this? Surely I'm missing something?
4. is it me, or are the pegs a bit cr*p? Should I get something better?

Bottom line is that I can't wait to get out and use it. Oh, and have the top hat open on a clear night and lay there looking at the stars

If anyone has any answers to my embarrassingly naive questions, or just wants to throw in their own Tentipi tips, please, be my guest!

Thanks all
2LF

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Hi 2left Feet, I hope this answers your questions. Others will have their own opinions of course but this is how I get along with mine. I have had it since 2005 so its seen a bit of use in Irish weather :)

1. guy ropes - do I need to use them in normal weather conditions (ie fairly sheltered spot without strong winds)? I usually put mine up without pegging out the guys and its fine but I do leave them attached so that I can peg them out if needs be.
2. the green lower valance - what do I do with it? Peg it out? Fold it underneath (then peg it inside)? Roll it up in hot weather? Too many options! I usually have mine folded in but if the weather is really wet then its probably best to leave them out and put stones or something on them so that water can run away from the tent rather than linger at the edges and maybe find its way in.
3. I can see how the inner door can roll up and be neatly held back. How do I keep the outer door open - doesn't seem to be any loops or toggles for this? Surely I'm missing something? The door on mine gets put outside and reaches the guy points where I can tie it. I think there is a another way but I cant remember right now as I have not used mine since last year. I will be out at the weekend and will let you know on tuesday.
4. is it me, or are the pegs a bit cr*p? Should I get something better? The pegs are not great but they have lasted me a few years. Replace them if you have the cash but its not absolutely urgent.
2LF

Mar 5, 2009
Bucks, UK
Thanks for the tipi tips Preacherman - most appreciated. Cool name too! Hope you enjoy your first nights out of the year this weekend.

Uhm, as to why I've posted the same question on 2 forums (fora?), I guess I'm just getting a bit carried away with my enthusiasm and I'm just keen to hear from as many fellow Tentipi owners as possible. Sorry if I caused offence

Cheers for now
2LF

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
answers in blue below too

Hi all
1. guy ropes - do I need to use them in normal weather conditions (ie fairly sheltered spot without strong winds)?
As above - no need to use them unless the wind really picks up. They are really useful when it does!
2. the green lower valance - what do I do with it? Peg it out? Fold it underneath (then peg it inside)? Roll it up in hot weather? Too many options!
As I have the floor I tend to thread some cord through the valance eyelets which are on the inner side and half way along each side. Once I have threaded through the eyelets I pull it tight and tie it - thereby pulling and keeping the valance under the floor. Without the floor I would think about peggin it outwards or in a way that does not catch the wind and funnel it underneath.
3. I can see how the inner door can roll up and be neatly held back. How do I keep the outer door open - doesn't seem to be any loops or toggles for this? Surely I'm missing something?
Nope - you have not missed anything. I struggle too. I would make your own toggled cord and DIY. It would only take 1 foot of cord and a couple of knots.
4. is it me, or are the pegs a bit cr*p? Should I get something better?
Pegs are a bit crap. They bend and buckle when you hammer them in. However I usually hammer mine straight again after my trip and they are fairly good to go each time. However I must get some more sturdy replacements.
2LF

How do you like your Safir 7 Tentipi? I am looking to buy one for motorcycle travel camping where I will be putting it up and down daily. Does it set-up and down as easy as they say with one person. Do you have canvas CP or Light fabric? Do they pack down tight to travel in compression bag. Are you happy you bought your Tentipi?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE