Newbie question about Dd travel hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
So, I haven't got any equipment yet and I want to get a tarp and a hammock, I can't hang one in my garden, so I thought if I got a dd travel hammock I could use it as a bivi in the garden then when I venture out I could use it as a hammock.
My plan is to use the tarp in a tent configuration with a walking pole at the entrance, my question is, am I right in thinking I have to connect the ends of hammock/bivi mosi net to something to lift the net up, if so could I attach one end to the guy rope that comes from the front of the tarp? , but what about the other end in the back of the tent?
Thanks
Con

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The waterproof layer is part of the underside of the hammock. you lay it on the floor, and raise the bug net above you using poles. You would still need a separate tarp over you for weather protection. Personally I think it misleading of DD to call it a bivi. It is just a waterproof bottom for the hammock.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
It's also not very good as a hammock as a lot of people find that they get condensation in the hammock due to the base not being breathable. Better with a Frontline model from dd if you want to stick with them and want the bug net, or the camping version without bug net I reckon. Other makes are available too :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I got awful condensation - some people don't. Get a groundsheet - you'll benefit from one anyway when hammocking as you can stow gear on it and stand up on wet ground before you put you boots on...

Makes life easier.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
I'm a bit stuck really, I don't want a hammock just yet,i can't use it in my garden and it'll be a while before before I get to go proper wild camping, but if I buy just a bivi I'll end up having to buy a hammock later on, that's why I was looking at the travel hammock, best of both worlds or so I thought.. I have been looking at the Dutch army bivi as I want something that'll cover my face when I sleep, but they are expensive,...any suggestions?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I got a Tenth wonder UL hammock years ago [back then they were 10 quid - even so now there something like 15, so really cheap] just to see if I liked hammocking, and I did :) also used cheap blue plastic builders tarps for a year or two.

You can make a stand relatively easily - I had some 50mm square section lengths of wood laying around in my garden when I moved to a new house. I'm quite light so that worked well enough for me, didn't survive long term outside though. I found some chain link fence pipes in a skip and used them to make a turtle dog stand [google that and they'll be loads of images] heavy but ideal for the garden.

edit////

Although I've recently bought a TW UL XXL which is way more comfortable as I can get a better diagonal lay.

Oh, and search shug on utube :)

Last edited:

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
I was wondering I have a 6 ft concrete post about 25 ft from a large tree in my garden, me and the kids run a 50mm slackline between the two, could i put the slackline about 5ft up and hang the hammock from that???

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I'm a bit stuck really, I don't want a hammock just yet,i can't use it in my garden and it'll be a while before before I get to go proper wild camping, but if I buy just a bivi I'll end up having to buy a hammock later on, that's why I was looking at the travel hammock, best of both worlds or so I thought.. I have been looking at the Dutch army bivi as I want something that'll cover my face when I sleep, but they are expensive,...any suggestions?

I carry a hammock, Tarp and lightwieght bivi, so i have both options available when out.

DD Superlight hammock + Tarp, and a Tigoat Kestrel Bivy.
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Kestrel-Bivy.html

Only the bivy base is waterproof, so you need the tarp with it, but it has a bug net over your face, can be held up with a pole. And is only 170g.
Comes from America though, so it may be out of budget due to price + customs lottery

This gives me the best of both worlds as you say, without being massively bulky or heavy. Think my total weight is about 1kg or so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE