Newbie in Need of Kit Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eem

May 28, 2008
solihull
Having only recently discovered camping I am keen to get out into the country/woodlands a lot more and experience what everyone is talking about. I am in Solihull / Birmingham.

This website is great and I have read fantstic advice.

The only issue is, I am unsure of the basic kit required to be comfotable and to be safe.

What do you need? Where can I go? Who can I go out with?

I am keen to spend one or two nights / days out and about and will be coming to Bushmoot to absorb the knowledge!!

I have some suitable clothing, a sleeping bag, a tent (will aim for a hammock eventually!), light single air bed, boots, Maglite 3D torch, simple karrimor rucksack to stick it all in.

any advice / donations gratefully received. i can swap for boxed, working (VGC) sony erikson K800i phone (vodafone) worth about £45 and/or pay for any posting and packaging.

thanks

Matt

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mat,
best advice I can offer is "Don't go mad straight away!"
Save your pennies until you've been to the moot and had the chance to see and feel different types of kit. Then you can determine if it really is what you want or what you need.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

ATB

Ogri the trog

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Mat,
best advice I can offer is "Don't go mad straight away!"
Save your pennies until you've been to the moot and had the chance to see and feel different types of kit. Then you can determine if it really is what you want or what you need.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Matt - this is probably the soundest advice anyone will give you. I wish someone had said that to me when I 'started out'. It would have saved me a small fortune! :eek:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I agree, don't get sucked in by the marketing mens blurb, research and patience will serve you well.

Ask lots of questions, always listen to opinions, even if you don't act on them and take your time.

This forum is loaded with information and experience, use the search function, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Enjoy and Welcome to BCUK forums.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Hi Matt and welcome to the show.

The pound shop places are doing two ally rectangular mess tins for £1. OK, not as good as ex-mod but if youre on a budget like myself any thing is better than nothing.
I took a trip to the army surplus shop in Flyford Flavell (surplusandadventure.com (no connection with shop etc)) last week and was amazed at the amount of kit there, bought a hexi stove and the US version of the blocks and some para cord and it only cost just over a tenner.
Look around mate and you will find sone great bargains.:D

eem

May 28, 2008
solihull
thanks so far to everyone for the advice, offers of gear and places to get it from.

i am keen to get out there whilst the weather is good, thus i am thinking of investing in a decent 2/3 man tent. i currently have a LARGE family tent which i use with the girlfirend and the dog but i am looking for something more portable and discreet.

i have seen this

http://www.hi-peak.co.uk/~sa_webapp/run.asp?page=3065

any advice?

should i spend less? is this as good as it looks? is there a better alternative?

Matt

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
For portable and discreet you can't beat the bivvy/tarp idea. I'm a recent convert to the bivvy bag and haven't used my NTF tent in ages. Bags can be found on ebay for sub £30 and I use a poncho as a tarp (£5 approx). I got my bag from Strikeforce on ebay and even got a free upgrade because he was a bit late in posting.

No connection to vendor just happy/dry/warm customer watching the stars!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE