Newbie DSLR thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Buy into whichever brands your friends have. That way you can borrow/swap lenses and get advice. They are all good.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi guys, my gf is looking at getting into photography and is considering a canon or a Nikon.

Budget isn't limited as such but if it can be kept under £450-500 that would be good.

As a totally newbie what would you guys suggest. She's looked at the canon eos 600d and Nikon d3200 etc.

cheers
Andy

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
I have old good Nikon D40 with kit lens and it does more then enough for me. As long as you are just a beginner, it will do as much as you want. Later you can get better lens.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The only other pointer I would give anyone wanting to get into photography is check out your local camera clubs. (Look around, not all clubs are created equal.)

I learned more about photography in clubs that I did in a two year full time course at college.

They are not everyones cup of tea but a good club can give you a very good grounding and advice far beyond what you will find online.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
A couple of years ago I got my first DSLR, a D3000 and still use it very often, just yesterday in fact. The newer ones are even better, they really did improve the iso on them for lower light. If I was buying a first one again now I wouldn't hesitate to get the D3200.

I love it, amazing quality pictures. I didn't get a kit lens with it. I got 2 Sigma's I'm very happy with, a 18-50 4.5 for about £200 off amazon uk and a 70-300 4.5 which is fantastic at nature shots or even at 300 and a fast shutter at a race track, it was only £70 off ebay.

A copy of Adobe Lightroom 4 to edit your raws and your well set.

The only real downside of it is the small viewfinder, but even like me with poor vision looking through my glasses is no problem.

I can get 400+ shots off one battery charge. The D3000 doesn't have live view or video recording, so just a camera. I love it.

Here are a few I've taken with it:

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
As Wayland says, by the time you add a few lenses, a flash, a remote, filters etc you will have quite a bulky pack. That's fine if you are out especially to take photos but just because you went out to take photos, the world doesn't always comply and provide something good to photograph.

I sold my Nikon D3 setup a few years ago now, it cost me well over £8000 to buy... I replaced it with a Panasonic 4:3 camera using the pancake lens which I love and a long lens that I think is just about ok. I admit, the photos are nowhere near as good as those taken with the D3 and it's huge pixels on that full frame sensor... but I'm much more likely to have my camera with me and that means I am more likely to see good things to photograph.

It's just something to consider before buying. but for DSLR cameras, you can't go far wrong with Nikon or Canon bodies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE