New Years Day night out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
One of the promises that I made to myself was to "Get out more in the New Year". With this in mind I went to my Bushy area to catch up on some missed sleep and to de-tox myself yesterday!

My daughter took this as I was dropped off!
DSC00381.jpg

I had a little mooch about the area, sat and watched the deer again than set up camp.
DSC00386.jpg

All the wood in the area was wet, so after making a blood offering to the fire god :eek: (spliting sticks with cold hands) I eventualy managed to light the hobo stove that I made earlier in the week!
DSC00385.jpg

All in all a very peaceful start to the New Year - hopefully this year I will be able to keep my promise to myself and get out more!

Simon

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Well done simon
Planning an overnighter myself for next weekend . My resolution to myself was to make time to get out more .
SWMBO says " OUT MORE ! YOURE NEVER IN !"
Magic:)

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I thought i'd aleady posted this but it's disappeared.
Simon, do you have any other pics of your stove? I recently rescued a metal container like that and was thinking on how i could turn it into a stove. Also is that a Forces 44 backpack you have?

Peter

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I thought i'd aleady posted this but it's disappeared.
Simon, do you have any other pics of your stove? I recently rescued a metal container like that and was thinking on how i could turn it into a stove. Also is that a Forces 44 backpack you have?

Peter

I "borrowed" the stove idea from Wayland, follow the link for more info!

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/cooking_kit.html

The main difference is that I will be using a 12cm Zebra billy (when it arrives), Wayland used a 10cm - but they are like rocking horse droppings at the moment! To accommodate this I used a 13cm biscuit barrel from Morrisons (£3.99) as the stove body.

This thread has another picture of the stove in it:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27156

The bergan is a Karrimor Sabre 60 - 100 and is quite new. A bit heavy but bomb proof!

Hope that helps!

Simon

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Hello simon, how did you manage to sleep facing upwards mate, did you use steaks so you did not roll? ahh good times a few week back fell asleep on the side of a valley woke up had rolled into a tree about 5foot away and was wrapped around it

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Believe or not, that was the best spot I could find - Not covered in surface tree roots and not TOO steep.

I slept "head up" and woke up 2 feet lower down the slope than when I started! :) My feet were out of the basha but not a problem as I use a goretex bivvy bag.

I will explore the area a bit more in the coming weeks, as it is still new to me, looking for a better ground sleeping pitch, saving this one for the hammock in future!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE