new winter jacket malarky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

subzeer0

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2014
East of Durham
hi guys ,,,we need some input here

i am looking for a new winter jacket again...the ones we got last year well,,,weren't cracked up to be what we were after....i have trawled the forum here for some insight but my head hurts,,,,i quite fancy a smock with no zips,,,then i read about Paramo...yea ill get one...then a Bergans is recommended...then a hilltrek ....back to square one

i am after a windproof waterproof jacket...not bothered about zips or pullover...i have a Berghaus mera peak but that is sweaty and also a thinner goretex to put over a layer...but its swishy

looking for a quiet one for walking and hunting through the night maybe...cotton appeals

over to the experienced in these matters

funds are around £250 altho thats not set in stone

thanks for your time

rg598

Native
It seems like you are looking for a jacket that will do everything, and it's just not going to happen. The problem is that any jacket that is truly waterproof will not be breathable enough to wear all the time, and will certainly not breathe well enough if your jacket is also insulated. The alternative is an insulated soft shell jacket (cotton variants and the like), but they will not be waterproof.

Add to that, if you are actively hunting, you are not going to want a winter jacket that you have to wear the whole time. You need an active insulation layer, with a belay jacket that you can put on when stationary. My recommendation would be a base layer (synthetic or merino wool), a light fleece layer (Patagonia R1), a light fill based insulation layer (Patagonia Nano Puff), a dedicated hard shell layer (Goretex, eVent, NeoShell, etc). That would complete the active insulation. For when stationary, I would include a light and highly compressible belay jacket like a Patagonia DAS Parka that will go over all the other layers. (No, I'm not a Patagonia salesman)

Companies that specialize in hunting gear have good set ups for all these categories, and have dedicated shell layers that are quieter than the alternatives. Check out Sitka, Kuiu, Cryptec, First Light, etc.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
What kind of jacket are you after? A shell or something more insulated?
If you're after a shell I'd highly recommend Paramo stuff. It's very marmite but I love mine for hillwalking, winter climbing and general camping stuff.
It is less waterproof than Goretex (I think of mine as a softshell plus) but it dries quickly and breathes fantastically. I have been wet in mine but only in conditions when the goretex / event crowd were also soaked.
The face fabric is quiet too so good for twitchers or hunters and they do a natty green.
Final plus is it doesn't wear out like traditional membranes do. My old one was twenty years old when I sold it on to fund a newer model.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Quiet, waterproof, breathable when worn, quite hardwearing, smock; has to be Paramo or Cioch. There are quite a few different types available.

Only downside to the Nikwax analogy fabric that these are made from is that they are a little hot due to the 2 layers and the cut on Paramo's smocks is a bit short in the back.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
You might want to take a look at Pinewood jackets, the Idaho and Lapland caught my eye. Don't know much about them but they seem to fit your requirements. In the end I stuck with my Austrian army M65 jacket washed in Nikwax cottonproof. If I had your budget I might have thought differently.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have the unlined Kryptek softshell. I've been out in a myriad of weathers in it. The only time I wasn't comfortable was sitting still for an hour with the rain hammering against my back.

Should have put a merino underneath it. I will be wearing it in the Highlands, Borders and Skye deer stalking this autumn, on the hill, in the woods and, well, on Skye, where according to BH Humble, the rain is VERY wetting.

Kryptek isn't a down the pub pattern but as a hunting jacket, I love it and wish I had the money to get the Mandrake pattern when it comes out next month too.

http://www.kryptekstore.com/Dalibor-Lightweight-Soft-Shell-Jacket-Highlander-P95.aspx

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Rab Scimitar softshell, pretty wind proof, not water proof but pretty resistant. Full stretch. Great hood. Cheap

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE