New Wind Proof Layer and Waterproof Outer/Shell Layer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
For quite a few years now I’ve been using a clothing system that works well for me and I’ve spent time fine tuning it and getting the right bits of kit so that its just right, but now has come the time to renew the two largest parts, my wind proof fleece layer and my outside breathable water proof layer

I run very warm so I like to have lots of thin layers so I can remove and add as I warm up and cool down. My set consists of thermal under layer for when its cold, cotton t shirt if it’s warm, a thin fleece jumper or two depending on what I’m doing and on top of that a wind proof / shower proof fleece for when it’s cooler, windy and it might rain and a full waterproof hooded gortex jacket and trousers for when it’s pouring down snowing windy etc.

I use my stuff all the time I cycle to work every day, I walk in it (some times I even go up mountains), I sit around watching wild life in it and I do bushcraft in it. I’d quite like it to be quiet (I’m fed up of rustling gortex). I don’t want it to be bright colours like most mountain equipment is. I’d quite like it to be in the green, brown, grey, black colour range but not DPM. I’m not that bothered about it being fire and spark resistant it’s not one of my top priorities when looking at outdoor clothing.

In a nut shell I want a wind proof jacket that I can take in the woods and up mountains, ride my bike in and also go to the pub in if I wish and I want a water proof outer layer with trousers that I can use no my bike as well as the above except the pub that would be daft.

So here’s the questions:
What do you use and like?
What have you used and found that it didn’t work?
What would you really like to buy if you had to replace the kit you use now?
What would you buy if money was no object and you could have what you wanted?

James

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I Use a Swazi Tahr as a rainproof outer. It will cost you but it will cover all your requirements as a waterproof outer shell. As for biking, the Tahr provides you with leg coverage up to your knees.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
My choice of shell layer is dictated by the conditions that I expect to encounter when I am in the outdoors.

As a next to skin layer, I rarely use cotton. I've seen too many people wearing cotton contract hypothermia and have problems. It is only in the heat of summer that I ever wear cotton, and my choice is either a silk or cotton oxford "Safari" shirt.

At all other times of the year, I wear either a Helly Hansen Lifa Active polypropylene base layer or a Mountain Equipment Co-Op polyester hydrophillic zip neck shirt.

For a thermal layer, my choice is generally Fibre Pile as I find it to be much warmer and harder wearing than Polar Fleece.

As a shell layer, I have three choices:

1) A soft-shell jacket. This is a close fitting polyester microfibre shell laminated to microfleece via a membrane. It is reasonably showerprof, very wind resistant and extremely fast drying. The jacket is well suited for fast moving, and layers well underneath of a thicker shell layer.

2) If the weather is to be cold, I prefer a double layer Ventile anorak. It is more showerproof than my soft shell, but is heavier and much slower to dry.

3) If I expect a great deal of rain, I wear an Entrant GII-XT waist cut jacket. Entrant is a direct competitor for Gore-Tex and I've actually found it to be a bit more breathable.

4) I never wear rain trousers, as I tend to overheat in them. In the summer, I wear allow my legs to get wet and dry out. I protect my ankles and boots with a pair of gaiters.

I have wool, but I prefer not to wear it is as it is a bit too heavy for my liking. If I had more money, I would like to buy another Ventile anorak to replace my 35 year old one. (But I don't expect to have to do that for at least a few more years as the fabric is incredibly tough.)

Mind you, the above are only my choices for shell clothing, and I know very well that every person has different preferences.

Cheers,

Adam

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
addyb said:
1) A soft-shell jacket. This is a close fitting polyester microfibre shell laminated to microfleece via a membrane. It is reasonably showerprof, very wind resistant and extremely fast drying. The jacket is well suited for fast moving, and layers well underneath of a thicker shell layer.

Adam this sounds good who makes it and what model is it ?

James

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
sounds to me like what you're after is buffalo! you can get textured non-rustle jackets these days, good cut for biking, apparently they eliminate the need to change layers all the time. i have to admit it's just my latest obsession, but i am very tempted to get one myself. ventile is still on thw cards but i can't decide how i want to use it so i might just get buffalo for now to replace my old coat which is now too small, short-sleeved etc. I think ventile would be better suited to a heavier winter coat, whereas i might use one of these buffalo shirt jobs for the rest of my time outdoors. Sweat is my problem, and i think the breathability these things offer is right up my street. I also run damn hot, and then get extremely cold, since i am small but have a high metabolism.

what are your thoughts on the stuff? i'd give it a shot if i were in your position.

-ian

p.s. i should add this is much the same idea as addyb put across to you, i have merely specified a brand name.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
James, there are many different makes and models of soft-shell jackets. But another way of look at it is that they are modern versions of Buffalo, and a little bit updated.

The soft shell concept is that you have a jacket that takes the place of the traditional gore-tex and fleece jacket combination so that you don't have to constantly stop and tear off layers of clothing. They are also very close fitting so that you can wear them underneath of your Gore-Tex or Ventile, and even while wearing a climbing harness! They are probably a lot more water resistant than Buffalo, and can be worn in 90% of any weather you will encounter in the outdoors. And because they are very light and comfortable to wear, you can very easily cram your rolled up Gore-Tex into your day pack for backup - but you probably won't need it!

Have a look at this.

Adam

PS: If I still had a digital camera, I'd probably show you a picture of one. :(

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thanks for the replies guys very interesting.

bushtuckerman said:
sounds to me like what you're after is buffalo!
Ian I've considered buffalo before I might give them another try but the design has been around for a while and I use something similar made by musto at the moment.

addyb said:
The soft shell concept is that you have a jacket that takes the place of the traditional gore-tex and fleece jacket combination
this sounds great already

addyb said:
because they are very light and comfortable to wear, you can very easily cram your rolled up Gore-Tex into your day pack for backup - but you probably won't need it!
This is how run my system now but my inner jacket does not have a membrane and is not that water proof but I very rarely have my grotex out of my bag unless the rain is pretty bad that I suppose is about 10% of the time round here. thanks for the link my sister has just (as in last week) emigrated to BC so on her next trip home she might be bringing me some stuff purchased from the mountain equipment coop apparently their prices are very reasonable I’ll have to have a look at the postage to see if that will work too.

Thanks again

James

Tobies Sack

Mar 14, 2006
West Lancs
James if your looking in the Mountain Equipement CoOp then the G2 guide jacket comes highley rated. I don't use a softshell my self but it is on my list of things to buy. I will be looking at the new Montane eVent softshell as I run hot.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
If by G2 you mean Entrant GII-XT, then yes, it is fantastic stuff. I have this little obsession where I like to google odd things and learn as much as I can about them, and once I found this

It's an independant testing of commercial WPB laminates and coatings. If the link (it's a .pdf file) works you'll find that GII-XT is in the same rating as EVENT and if I'm reading the graph correctly, is actually more breathable than Gore-Tex XCR - in humid conditions.

(Or, I could be reading the graph the opposite way, math has never been my thing, I'm the psych type)

Anyway, I kindof fibbed in my first post in this thread, as my laminated soft shell jacket is no more. I spilt paint thinner on the front of it a little while ago, and it de-laminated a bit. But I miss it terribly, and I plan on getting another one as soon as I have the necessary bling-bling! It was a great jacket and I often wake up in the middle of the night sobbing because of my great loss.

:D

Cheers guys,

Adam

Rod

On a new journey
James,

I've been using Paramo for the last 7 years in all but summer conditions - takes a beating in any weather, easy to (re)proof; can be layered. Comfy when you stop. I like merino baselayers and Swanni shirts with windproof cotton tops. Army surplus is good for colder drier weather - like we've been having.

Hope this helps - let me know - I nearly went to work for them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE