New Trousers.... how have yours been?..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I was walking from S.T Mary's carpark in to town, in York today, & passed a tailors near the traffic lights(sorry can't remember the tailors name)who was offering a bespoke pair of moleskins for £75, i had doglady with me, so did'nt go in, but in true termintor fashion "i'll be back".

Rob

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Found a pair of orvis hemp jeans which are good for warmer weather and wool trousers for when its wet. I have a pair of old fashioned high waisted harris tweed trousers for when the temperature drops

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the M65's good trousers, hard wearing. Picked up some Craghopper 'Solardry'? for £14.99 in TK Max, look OK, not worn them yet.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For cr@p trousers my Gap cargo pants take the biscuit. Got caught in a heavy downpower walking from my office to the car maybe 500m my trousers got soaked and kept absorbing the rain, my boxers got wet the trousers kept absorbing the rain and then the rain ran down the inside of my trousers and socked my boots! Next time i will sod fashion and were my walking trousers on casual Fridays.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've got Klattermusen Gere's. I love 'em. Not cheap, but the best pair I've ever seen or owned.

Craghoppers Kiwis too, cheap from sports direct.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've seen U tube videos with people sitting or kneeling directly on snow with no apparent discomfort ie apparently not getting wet - which type of trousers might they be/what spec would I need to look for to be sure I got that type?

(It may be some of those already mentionned but I can't tell from the narratives)

One of the examples I was thinking of is this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnBushcraft

about 7 mins 40 secs in

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
5.11 Taclite Pro do it for me. The poly-cotton mix means they dry much more quickly and I love the phone and torch pockets. I also have German army moleskins for the winter and some ripstop BDU pants - all good.

RobvG

Sep 16, 2011
Eindhoven
I bought a pair of Fjallraven and double ventile ones (Hilltrek http://hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cabrach_Ventile_Trousers.html).
Of the two I have to say that the Fjallraven had a bit of a tighter fit which I prefer to the Hilltreks (which really are quite baggy). The overall comfort goes to the Hilltreks though. And even after a day of exposed downpour I only had a slight dampness around the knees. I don't think the Fjallravens would've managed that!

I did have some extra hip pockets made as well, so off-the-shelf the Fjalllravens have more pockets.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe so - I suppose the basic point is.... are there trousers which are waterproof and hard wearing against abrasion from rocks/and thorns from brambles and comfortable to wear?

I don't know of any waterproof trews that will stand up to the same knocks as cotton or ventile, maybe look at hunting or mountain clothing, they'll have reinforced knees and seat. The Haglofs Rugged Mountain and Norrona Dovre Heavy Duty offer water resistance but wet out eventually in persistent rain.

I tend to wear army goretex trews for knocking about in the bush, if they get ruined then it's not too expensive to replace them. I've got some Norrona Dovre goretex trews but they're only Pro Shell so will snag on a bramble probably, I tend to wear mine in the canoe and swap for my swedish splinter camo goretex if I'm in the woods.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I don't know of any waterproof trews that will stand up to the same knocks as cotton or ventile, maybe look at hunting or mountain clothing, they'll have reinforced knees and seat. The Haglofs Rugged Mountain and Norrona Dovre Heavy Duty offer water resistance but wet out eventually in persistent rain.

I tend to wear army goretex trews for knocking about in the bush, if they get ruined then it's not too expensive to replace them. I've got some Norrona Dovre goretex trews but they're only Pro Shell so will snag on a bramble probably, I tend to wear mine in the canoe and swap for my swedish splinter camo goretex if I'm in the woods.

Ok thanks for that - i'll explore the possibilities

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Been wearing the Vertx trousers alot recently in England and Poland. Much heavier material in 98% cotton 2% lycra. Feel alot more solid than 5.11s, comes in better colours and it's twill. Plus the cut is more casual, but just as functional as any military trouser.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've two pair of Tussock Creek heavyweight moleskin cargos. Double knee , wide crotch gusset . Secure knife pocket inside cargo.
I highly rate em. Heavy when soaked but still warm. I don't think the company do the same model anymore though. Build and comfort is great though.

I did rip badly across the seat when hastly crossing a double pass barbed fence though. My repair has held for months which is testament to the weave.

Going to be Modding these with goretex or waxed cotton extra knee cover an maybe crampon style protectors .

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I still use the m65's, well made, great design. Like Shewie a pair of army Gortex are great for knocking about in, bit of duct t tape for minor repairs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Men-G...pt=UK_Men_s_Trousers&var=&hash=item9bff9facad

I picked up five pairs of Craghoppers from TK Max down from £19.99 to £14.99, so one pair a year for five years then I'll be using a caravan or in a nursing home the way I feel today... another bloody chest infection.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Another vote for Greenlanders. Had mine for about 4-5 yrs and the only thing I don't particularly like about it is the lack of the seat pocket. But, I think this design was for a reason ... though I can't remember what it was!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I normally use British Army lightwieghts and have done for years, they are cheap, hard wearing and fast drying.
A couple of years ago I got some "Tuff-Stuff" workwear trousers (black ones) - good pockets, good cut,etc.
I then discovered they also sell "Bushman" Trousers - same polycotton canvas fabric, same cut, slightly less pockets, good sized cordura knee pad pockets. And olive green in colour
As winter trousers they are great and cost less than £30.
My gear normally gets a fair beasting while I am teaching - but these seem to just "shrug" it all off. Definately worht a look.
N

garethw

Settler
I've been wearing Craghoppers on a daily basis for about four years now... I get about a year of hard wear out of each pair.
They are light, windproof, dry quickly and are comfortable to wear.
The belts they come with are cr@p but if you change the buckle (the old ones were better) they are great lashing straps for a pack.
The major fault I find is that the crotch stitching cracks after a year or so.... I sew it up to get a few more months wear...
I've had them in all colours, and as others have said can be got at TK MAXX or Trekwear for around £20.

One thing I've noticed though, the last pair of "cedar" colour pants I got were of a poorer quality than the others in the range, and compared to the "bark" coloured ones I got at the same time.... curious??? (The poorer quality 'cedar' ones didn't have the double belt loops... )
Anyway I may look at other brands, 5.11 for example, but at the price you can get these on the net its hard to beat.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE