New top required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Hi all, I am looking at getting a warm top,& have looked at the Montane Extreme so far,also fancy a Buffalo special 6 shirt.
Went to Go Outdoors today to try on the Montane Extreme,it felt really warm I must admit.
Only one issue, whenever I moved I thought I was wearing a packet of crisp's,are they supposed to rustle like that? Does the Buffalo shirt do the same? Anyone got advice about the two products,I would be very grateful.
Steve

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I had similar type shirts and decided i didnt like them so much, I now use a northface padded jacket with primaloft insulation, its no where near as rustly, but still overs the insualtion and packability the shirts do(not as bulky as the down jackets), not much help but something else to consider.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I have the extreme and love it. Build quality and attention to detail are excellent. I don't find it too noisy and have seen it being used by top wildlife cameramen.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I love my extreme smock , but this year I treated myself to a Paramo Torres smock. Fantatstic bit of kit, seems to be more versatile than the extreme too in that it keeps you warm if you aren't moving and deals with the wet better. Its not technically waterproof but beads well when proofed and doesn't seem to let water in. Comes with attached hood which is toasty warm. I haven't been cold in it and have used it every day for the last month or so walking the hounds.

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
Hi toptec..
both the buffalo and montane are pile and pertex, and performance wise there is not much in it.. some say the montane is warmer, but versatile wise thats not always best..
if it makes any difference to you buffalo is made in GB.. i have been wearing buffalo gear for twenty years, and love it, though i am sure the montane would be very nice too...
I usually wear the buffalo mountain shirt as opposed to the special 6, the mountain shirt is often overlooked cos the s6 is the top dog, however the only real difference is the very slightly thinner pertex 5 instead of pertex 6 making it marginally less wind proof, in my opinion that makes the mountain shirt slightly more versatile.. cos invery cold conditions ihave never had any problem popping a good wicking base layer (merino or a helly) underneath..
in fact a thin merino layer keeps the shirt much fresher.. this has always performed and i do run hot..
if its a few degrees warmer wear next to skin, and ina strong biting wind i sometimes pop a buffalo windshirt over the top to achieve more protection from wind and moisture than the special 6...
i work and play in my buffalo, working outdoors year round within the Cairngorm NP.. at this time of year its the coat hung nearest the door.. i dont find the rustling an issue and wear it all day long, of course pertex is very slightly rustly, especially when new..
you could look at the buffalo fell jacket , although not as warm with the teclite pile, they have used a textured and softer, quieter equivilent to pertex with all the same excellent breathable, moisture transfering properties, something that you could again layer with the correct materials..
i have stayed warm and dry in all kinds of weather with this kit,no good though if stationery in prolonged rain, pop a shell on.. otherwise extremely versatile.. and ofcourse next to the fire pop on a cotton or wool smock/shirt to avoid holes from sparks..
other considerations are rab vapour rise.. but i love the buffalo gear, ofcourse if one manufacturer produces a better fit for you then that should sway it too, cos pile and pertex performs best with the correct fit so as to allow the pile to quickly take moisture away from your skin before it cools..

hope this is of some help

Northern ranger

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I have a buffalo and can fault it, the only real draw back is you should wear it next to your skin, this is fine and real works well, but when you go it to a cafe for example) at the end of your adventure's even if you fully open it can still be a pit warm, and I get a bit self conscious as it like wearing a tabard :) so a lot of exposed skin.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have a buff s/6, and have worn it out, in about 13yrs. I use mine day in day out from end of october onwards. When back packing any time of year it goes with me, and is used as a pillow if nothing else.

However, 2 wks ago i decided i needed to replace it, and lacking the funds for one, i purchased the snugpak version. This is a very good jacket, and has some better features than the buff, but also lacks a couple as well, but at half the price, a good jacket. But i will buy another buff, when finances allow, as it is overall a better jacket in my opinion , but the snuggy should be good for a few years.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE