New to this need some help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
No problem! I can show you the marlinspike hitch & introduce you to the world of whoopie slings!

You do need something underneath you in a hammock - some use a mat but they can be a bit awkward. I made an underquilt from an old sleeping bag which helps but there are a variety of ready-made ones on the Market

Here's the meet details:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87157

thanks alot also where is a good place to buy these sort of things like hammocks tarps ect underquilts and general bushcraft gear ? is there any good retail shop or is most of it online im in kent as you know so dont want to travel to far

also what sort of food do you guys take ?

thanks again

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
thanks alot also where is a good place to buy these sort of things like hammocks tarps ect underquilts and general bushcraft gear ? is there any good retail shop or is most of it online im in kent as you know so dont want to travel to far

also what sort of food do you guys take ?

thanks again

I bought a cheap hammock off eBay (Tenth Wonder) to see if I like the idea - it does make camping in rough, wet or sloping ground easier (as long as there are trees about!). The hammock was about £15 delivered.

The underquilt was an old sleeping bag I was given off this forum (look at the Gift-it-on-thread, but read the instructions carefully!). A few minutes with a sewing machine and about £3 worth of bungee cord and I was set.

I'd say the minimum you need to stay at a meet is:

sleeping bag/blankets
shelter (tarp/basha/tent)
something to go under the sleeping bag (hammock/mat)
chair to sit by the fire in and put the World to rights...
mug for hot drinks
something to cook in
food

A knife isn't essential but there are lots of fun projects you can do with one and they are useful. A Mora Clipper or Hultafors will be perfect - they start from about £5

Before recommending shops, have a think about what you really want/need - there's often bargain stuff for sale here and remember some people will spend a fortune on a lightweight titanium mug when one from the pound shop will do fine

The first time I went, I packed lightweight camping food but then saw the steaks/sausages/bacon that others were cooking so now I just take what I want. As long as it can be boiled or fried, you'll be fine - the meets aren't long enough for most stuff to perish and you only have to walk from your car (which isn't far away so you can do several trips!)

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
ok sorted it is then wont have the most high tech stuff but itll do imma try get a decent tarp and hammock got a chair will bring lots of fresh meat :D we just had 2 pigs slaughtered ill bring some of are home made sosages for you guys to sink ya teeth into i got some ground mats might just stick that under me till i get round to sorting out a under blanket

i have a decent knife i had made for hunting custom made very very nice knife
but dont get me wrong it gets used so its not shelf quality sparkle :p

really looking forward to it now ill upload a pic of myself into the meeting thread so you guys know who i am and i may grab your mobile number closer to the time if thats ok fella

thanks again for all your help

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Word of warning, whatever you buy, you'll want something else quite quickly. Some guys buy expensive stuff and then down grade, others buy cheap and up grade. If you are coming along to the Sussex meet and don't want to get a hammock yet, I think I've got a spare in the loft and can cut a bit of underlay for insulation, to save you the expense up front. Always good to try before you buy.

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
Word of warning, whatever you buy, you'll want something else quite quickly. Some guys buy expensive stuff and then down grade, others buy cheap and up grade. If you are coming along to the Sussex meet and don't want to get a hammock yet, I think I've got a spare in the loft and can cut a bit of underlay for insulation, to save you the expense up front. Always good to try before you buy.

thank you i really appreciate the offer if i could lend a hammock that would be awesome as ive never used one before would be nice to try before i spent my hard earned cash on it

keep coming up with more questions

i want to defo get my own tarp any recommendation on size and type ? i would like to be able to use it as a like semi tent to camp on the floor in a bivi bag in places where there are no trees

also any recommendations on a bivi bag they seem really cool and if all else fails and i hate the hammock i can kip in the bivi bag :D

also what do you guys use for starting fires ive ordered a fire striker but what fuels do you use ?

thanks again in advance

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got the DD XL tarp - it's 3x4.5m long and great for hammocking or ground dwelling.

My bivi-bag is the Alpkit Hunka XL - they're good value and plenty big enough for tall brutes like me.

For starting fires - wait until the meet, you can gather tinder there and go through techniques

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Ditto DD tarp. Mines a 3x3, still quite versatile for both swingers and groundhogs.

Fire lighting, well there is a myriad of things yo can start a fire with. Lots of guys have fire lighting kits. For me, I've got a few things in it. Fire steel is great for getting a spark. Then my tinder box has cotton wool smeared with Vaseline. Then some char cloth as well (thinking of making some more at the meet). Also got some cramp balls (which explains the way I walk) to act as a ember. And a lighter. There's nothing manly about being cold and hungry because you couldn't start your fire.

There are some guys who carry a bow drill kit and can get an ember going with that. As for fuel, well that's where a bit of knowledge comes in. We source from the wood around the camp. Mainly you need dead standing wood to get things going. Once you've got a good fire going you can start to use slightly more green wood.

But I'm not the best at this and you would be better getting advice on fire lighting from some of the others at the meet and on here. I'm hoping we might do a bit of bow drill practice at the meet as I've never managed it.

The best thing I think you could buy is a book called Mors Kochanski Bushcraft. Knowledge weighs nothing and can be carried anywhere. It covers some really basic stuff and lots of things that will make you go "that's so obvious, why didn't I think of that".

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
thanks for all the great help guys

another question to put your way lol

stoves

i want a multi fuel stove so i can use wood or meth or solid fuel i have seen the honey stove looks nice and versatile is there any other cooking stove that do the same job ? would like some that all pakcs away into the pot maybe

ive seen this looks awesome Traildesigns - TiTri Sidewinder cant find it in the uk though its a shame

and what cooking pots do i need obv a pan i suppose and a cup ? what ones

thanks again

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Not sure if its any good to you but there is a DD group buy where you can buy hammocks and tarps plus other bits at a discounted rate.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87288

If you get chance can you list the kit you already have that way we could advise further to your needs.
Also i have a few spare bits here and there that i could possibly donate depending on what you already have.

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
Not sure if its any good to you but there is a DD group buy where you can buy hammocks and tarps plus other bits at a discounted rate.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87288

If you get chance can you list the kit you already have that way we could advise further to your needs.
Also i have a few spare bits here and there that i could possibly donate depending on what you already have.

hey johnboy thanks for the reply at the moment i have a oldish mummy shaped sleeping bag that's about it but i used it last in cold weather November 2010 and it was that cold the zips on the tent was froze and it kept me warmish

but i dont mind spending money to get what i need like i just dont want to buy anything to find out i spend 70 pound when i didn't need to

any old stuff you have you don't want and are in good order i don't mind parting a bit of cash for them dont want them for nothing though

im struggling to find a bivi bag atm the only ones i can find instock are £70.00 + and is a bivi bag that important do i need a think one to keep heat in or a light one

also does anyone know of a good budget sleeping bag that will keep me warm just incase the one i pull out the loft has problems

and thanks again

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I don't know how tall you are but the standard Alpkit Hunka is in stock & £30 delivered. They're more for waterproofing than heat retention, though

Failing that, a surplus one would do a great job

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
and what cooking pots do i need obv a pan i suppose and a cup ? what ones

A saucepan from a charity shop will be a damn sight better to cook in than an expensive titanium billy can. If you're not walking in with your stuff don't try to overcomplicate it. The pound shop sells mess tins & tin mugs (I find an insulated mug more useful)

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
yeah it looks good im like 5.8 a pretty wide build though not stomach wise hehe but im not small id say around average about 14 stone wide shoulders

im think im going to order one and hope it works hehe

thanks again lol

thinking about it i got a fairly large gas cooker i could bring and use if i want to make breakfast or something

also a mid range sleeping bag what do i need to keep warm ?

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There was someone on here selling a German bivi bag & sleeping bag for £20 - you've missed it though!

I slept out in the garden last night & was warm & dry this morning. The thermometer I took out with me said it got to -1°C

Gas stove not a bad idea but they don't like the cold so sleep with the gas bottle to keep it warm :)

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
just an update guys on the gear i got ready so far

2x sleeping bag one fits inside the other if needs be both 3 season bags

2x blankets

1x bivi bag on order its the alpkit hunter

1x hammock lent by Jackcbr (thanks jack is this still ok ? )

1x dd 3x3 tarp going to order tomorrow

1x fold away chair

1million x food :D

warm cloths

ground sheet to put gear on or sit on or put my feet on when i get out of hammock ect

foam mat never know when i may need it

1x headlight

1x little flashlight

a fair bit of 550 para cord just incase i need it for anything

a couple of solid fuel tablets and some wax tinder and 2 tampons they work well hehe hoping to not use and gather my own tinder (if someone could show me how and what i should be looking for) but at 6 am when im trying to make a tea i dont wanna mess about with dampish tinder from the day before hehe its a just incase thing !!

1x mora clipper knife just a cheapo for now

couple of old coke bottles for water

8x bottles of speckled hen hehe gotta have it

a fold away spade for number 2s or is there a toilet ?

still need to get

1x mutli fuel stove im still stuck on this one guys ive looked at the mkettle it looks nice but dont know if i could put a cooking pot on top though seems like it may be abit unstable

ive also looked at the honey stove looks really nice but dont know if it would boil water as well as the mkettle but i can cook food on it

any suggestions guys ? would like a compact one i could pack it all into the pot i use to cook with

im hoping i can do most of my cooking on the big fire couple of potatoes maybe even attempt some Banic Bread !

any other things i can cook on the fie ?

anything else you can think of i need or even just may want for comfort

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just dont over comlpicate things.
For your stove have you looked at hobo stoves. Can be sed with a meths burner or as a wood burner.

Oh and dont forget your FAK.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE