New tinder for my Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2007
Darkest Dumfries
At the bottom of our garden we have two Scots Pine logs we use for seats next to the pond. Over the last couple of years a bracket fungus has been slowly eating its way through them. During the summer last year I used the fungi for lighting a fire with a magnifying glass and it was quite good, glowing quite hot when blown and smoulding nicely. This is the fungus below perhaps someone could identify it more accurately?
P2230005.jpg

I wondered what would happen if it was treated like making charcloth. Turns out it works very well. Glows almost white hot. See this
http://www.youtube.com/v/ftFw9lNA4NI

If I'm preaching to the converted and this works with most fungi please burst my bubble now!

Tink. :rolleyes:

B

bushyboo

Nice one mate
I hope somone can id it, i could use some of that :rolleyes:
Was the bit you used in your video been chared ?

and did you burn your fingers ;)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Does it have white underneath usually, that turns brown when scraped? If it does it might be artists conc, but I am just guessing, there are people with far more fungi knowledge than me!

Jan 15, 2007
Darkest Dumfries
bushyboo said:
Nice one mate
I hope somone can id it, i could use some of that :rolleyes:
Was the bit you used in your video been chared ?

and did you burn your fingers ;)

The bit was chared and I did burn my fingers!

Also had to wash the fireplace B4 the girlfriend got home from work....

T

Jan 15, 2007
Darkest Dumfries
Goose said:
Does it have white underneath usually, that turns brown when scraped? If it does it might be artists conc, but I am just guessing, there are people with far more fungi knowledge than me!

No white underneath, no scraping at all. Picked and droped in the chrarring can. Looks a lot like Turkey Tail fungus but has brown gills underneath and no white whatsoever. Was wet today, hardly ever rains here in Dumfrieshire:lmao: , so it maybe looks a little darker than normal. Thanks for the replies.....

T.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE