Dead Dragon Copse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Located in one of those mysterious areas where the width of the world is a little fuzzy somewhere between the sewage works and an industrial estate Dead Dragon Copse is what few people would ever describe as a bushcraft paradise. Part swamp and strewn with long discarded rubbish covered in moss it's not exactly my first choice either but so few know of its existence in splendid isolation with unchecked growth do make it a rather special place. With no kids or dog walkers passing through local wildlife has thrived with enough rabbits to support a couple of roving urban foxes and the occasional human forager amongst the neglected Hazel. Fungi in abundance, Sloes, Hawthorn, Fireweed, Wild Garlic etc all grow nearby along with plenty of every-bodies favourites of Blackberries, Nettles & Dandelions during the summer. Wander over a couple of fields and you'll find running water and a patch of Beech trees to go nuts over.

hh003_0_o.jpg

The remains of a long dead Dragon in the pond, can you see it ;)

Of course what's really nice about the place is the surrounding terrain that makes it almost impossible to spot any modest size wild camp with a full cooking fire during winter months when the green cover is sparse. Being relatively close to home as well is also a big bonus so a handy little place to test gear, practice the little things, get a brew on, cook a bit of food and basically chill for a little while. Come summer I will do a full base camp setup and post those pictures, if I did it now certain landmarks would be visible and folk could work out where this is exactly.

hh002_0_o.jpg

Yes, the amazing vegetable steamer stove (aka the Poor Man's Grilliput) is still part of my basic loadout. Today it's in Hobo mode with Hazel shavings and a Birch bark bundle to get the damp wood going with the minimum of smoke and fuss. I always feel this is cheating slightly as the only place to find Birch bark around this area is in Carmarthen itself between the town and the railway station but foraging is where you find it I guess.

hh004_0_o.jpg

It was all going really well for the most part sort of despite me and the wife managing to rip a stud out of my poncho/ camp cot whilst messing around. I had mainly gone today to play with my new 3x3m DD tarp that I got for Christmas and I think it will work out really well for the upcoming trips this summer where hopefully this time I'll be joined by the wife & dog. So expect to see more and better photo's as she's the camera wizard. Cut some nice wood to take home for a whittling project and we were just contemplating one last coffee before the final clear up and setting off for home when the Robin who had been following us around all day for insects & worms disturbed by our activity clearly unhappy with us leaving took a bum squirt into the billy-can of hot water...

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
That looks like a good place to get away. Handy to have some bricks there if you have a grill.
You don't have to go miles to have an adventure.
Shame about the dragon. Does that make it the Dragons Den?

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
goodjob making the most of your local enviroment, nothing like a brew out ;) maybe the Robin was the Dragon slayer :lmao:
if I did it now certain landmarks would be visible and folk could work out where this is exactly.
Don't forget about Google maps
Dead%20Dragon%20Copse_zpsnxfp5wrh.jpg~original

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Well... you did get the right town :)

not-here-view_0_o.jpg

Yellow - Railway embankment : 45° slope of mixed gravel and large boulders. Anti scaling fence.

Green - Gully of the black goop. Untreated grey waste water outfall. Horrible mud where the smell takes a couple of washes to shift.

Red - Modern midden mounds: cans, bottles, items of clothing, food containers and occasionally discarded sharps.

Purple - Private woodland , no access or permission. Summer house/BBQ area in the middle, so no sneaking in either.

Across the river is far nicer spot than DDC for a bit of hobo style fishing under the bridge.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its nice to hear that someones doing something about the Dragon Problem in Wales too...Too many of the blighters around these days.

Tengu, the Class Enemy of Dragons

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Its nice to hear that someones doing something about the Dragon Problem in Wales too...Too many of the blighters around these days.

Tengu, the Class Enemy of Dragons

Protected species!
Huge fines for even disturbing them in their roosts!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Avoid eye contact, keep walking and whatever you do don't talk to one. It will have you going off into the woods on one magical quest after another. :viking:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Well... you did get the right town :)

not-here-view_0_o.jpg

Yellow - Railway embankment : 45° slope of mixed gravel and large boulders. Anti scaling fence.

Green - Gully of the black goop. Untreated grey waste water outfall. Horrible mud where the smell takes a couple of washes to shift.

Red - Modern midden mounds: cans, bottles, items of clothing, food containers and occasionally discarded sharps.

Purple - Private woodland , no access or permission. Summer house/BBQ area in the middle, so no sneaking in either.

Across the river is far nicer spot than DDC for a bit of hobo style fishing under the bridge.

Wow hats off indeed :notworthy do you wear a Camo Hazmat suit :yuck:
and do the fish have x3 eyes
3%20eye%20fish_zpsedcnvfol.jpg~original

makes me feel lucky to live in the country side
here's the view from my bedroom window
from%20bed%20window_zpsxblecste.jpg~original

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE