New Tilley Lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Hi all, well i finally plucked up the courage to buy a brass tilley lamp and it came with a new mantle.
Thought you'd like to see some piks. No idea what model it is, although it has 2570 in tiny numbers on the bottom.

Any advice would be appreciated
ATB

Nat

Last edited:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Oooo shiny!

I'll give you a tenner for it ;)

Ends in "Off" :lmao:
It needs a clean around the frame and handle, but the brass is mint. He had a brand new one sat in a box when i went and picked this one and i was so tempted but the wife would have kittens after the 442 i've just got and this aswell - plus all the other wee bits i've squirrelled away in the shed to play with when she's in bed :D

Cheers for the link Rik, much appreciated. To be honest it's in pretty good nick and feels like a "proper" lantern. Shoould of had the others off him aswell :rolleyes:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Funnily enough, I bought a Vapalux off eBay last night, just waiting for it to arrive now. I've been tempted by one for ages and was watching several of them and took this one on the spur of the moment, prompted by my current paraffin-mania after getting one of the 1956 Monitor stoves. With hindsight, a brass one would have looked better, but at £16, this one seemed too good a bargain to miss.

I've been using one of the wick based storm lamps down the bottom of the garden, but they don't throw out a lot of light.

vapalux.jpg

At least I hope it's a Vapalux. I realised after buying that it was listed as a Vaporlux. The profile of the cap and tank seem to match pictures of Valapuxes.

Geoff

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I was looking at the vapalux's aswell but the brass one was only down the road and i figured if it blew up or was broken in anyway i knew where the guy lived ;)
Just fitted the new mantle and i'll light it up later tonight.
If only i knew which way to turn the control knob :confused:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Funnily enough, I bought a Vapalux off eBay last night, just waiting for it to arrive now. I've been tempted by one for ages and was watching several of them and took this one on the spur of the moment, prompted by my current paraffin-mania after getting one of the 1956 Monitor stoves. With hindsight, a brass one would have looked better, but at £16, this one seemed too good a bargain to miss.

I've been using one of the wick based storm lamps down the bottom of the garden, but they don't throw out a lot of light.

vapalux.jpg

At least I hope it's a Vapalux. I realised after buying that it was listed as a Vaporlux. The profile of the cap and tank seem to match pictures of Valapuxes.

Geoff

The Vapalux/Bialaddin are brass tanked, just strip off the paint and get out the brasso :)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi all, well i finally plucked up the courage to buy a brass tilley lamp and it came with a new mantle.
Thought you'd like to see some piks. No idea what model it is, although it has 2570 in tiny numbers on the bottom.

Any advice would be appreciated
ATB

Nat

It looks like an X246 'Guardsman'

Deanno

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2010
Cardigan
I have two tilley lamps "The ones with the red base?" not sure on the model their both complete handed down by my grandad, i need to get antles and a Pre igniter?? where can i get bits from?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
www.base-camp.co.uk is just about the best supplier of all stoves and lamp parts in the UK if not the world now.

I'll second that. Not just for rare/hard-to-get parts, etc, but they are also very knowledgeable about stoves/lamps.

I had loads of fun fixing an old Tilley lamp and got all my spares from Basecamp. Great lamps which throw out hods of light and a reassuring 'hiss' (yeah, you know what I mean!).

Last edited:

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
It looks a super bit of kit that Nat nice one ;)been looking at these for a bit now any one no how long the Mantles last ?:);)

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
By the sounds of it you haven't let it pre heat enough. Classic school boy error that I have made hundreds of times.

Looks cool/scary:eek: but blackens your glass fairly well.

You nearly need to let the pre heater nearly burn out in a draught free area before its hot enough to light properly.

Have fun!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Right, i've got to be doing something majorly wrong, i'm getting flames shooting out the bloody top every time i open the valve :eek:

By the sounds of it you haven't let it pre heat enough. Classic school boy error that I have made hundreds of times.

Looks cool/scary:eek: but blackens your glass fairly well.

You nearly need to let the pre heater nearly burn out in a draught free area before its hot enough to light properly.

Have fun!

Philbert is bang on the money.. You need to dip the preheater torch in meths and clip it around the vapouriser tube then light the meths on the torch and allow the meths to warm the vapouriser tube. Parrafin needs the preheating to get it to vapourise.

A good idea might be to preheat it twice...

If it's still flaring up after a good preheat then the vapouriser might be duff....

HTH...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE