New solutions or old for a common problem....help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I use shaving foam to stop my shaving mirror misting up. It might work on your glasses. Just smear a dab on them then wipe it off. It will leave a thin coating that should prevent them from fogging up.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
One old trick is to wash your lenses using an ordinary bar of handsoap. Do not rinse off, let air dry with the soap still on the lenses. Polish the soap off with a lens cloth. They will now repel water, and not fog.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
You can get 'fog ex' for the inside of car windscreens and an absolutely minuscule amount will stop your glasses fogging up for around 12-16 hours.
When traveling to colder climates with sunglasses that fogged up I syringed some into an eye drop bottle so it took up no space at all.
It's about £5 a bottle and we'll worth it!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I may be walking into a trap but what's fairy liquid?

:rofl:

Ordinarily you'd be right to be suspicious, but Mary doesn't (ordinarily) do bear traps. :)

Anything like soap or detergent which reduces the surface tension of the water droplets forming the 'fog' and causes them to coalesce into a continuous film will make the layer transparent rather than opaque. The problems are (a) applying a quantity small enough that it doesn't itself interfere with the light transmission and (b) keeping it there - you may need to reapply it frequently.

But it does work, I've done it for decades when riding motorcycles.

However there are now anti-fog visors (and/or visor inserts) for motorcycle helmets, and I've been very impressed with them -- no more fairy liquid! I wonder if anyone has seen anything similar for goggles/spectacles?

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
You can get 'fog ex' for the inside of car windscreens and an absolutely minuscule amount will stop your glasses fogging up for around 12-16 hours.
When traveling to colder climates with sunglasses that fogged up I syringed some into an eye drop bottle so it took up no space at all.
It's about £5 a bottle and we'll worth it!

I saw this in Tesco earlier, seems they've changed the name since I last bought it, it's called "Rain-X Anti-Fog" now and was £4 in Tesco or I believe it's about £6.99 in Halfords.

I've just re-done the car windows again, I won't need to re do those again before Christmas, but I found on my Sunglasses being worn constantly then doing it once a day would sort it, and absolutely no clouding of vision, can't recommend it highly enough.

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE