Looking for a Resist or a technique leatherworkers please help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hello fellow leatherworkers, and those interested enough to read this.

I am looking for a resisting finish for working withe the fiebings oil dyes. I heard the Resolene finish works for the spirit based dye from Fiebings but wont work for the Oil dyes.
And as I am getting into some intricate work involving a hybrid of celtic and Sheridan styles, I need to seperate the two with a crisp dye job.

I searched some helpfull threads about resisting compounds like :http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=47283
and I found products like the Sheridan Resist from Bee Natural or from Springfield leather company which would resist oil dyes, and also heard about a liquid latex which you can peel off post dye however I struggle to find any one of those products for sale that is shipping to my address ( being Dutch, but uk would be just fine as well) .

Is there anyone who can help me find someone to get this product to me as I really dont want to let my client down with a small mistake of the brush stroke and it would bring a way better result if I could antique it in one go.

Or might you guys have some other resisting techniques for use with Oil Dyes, that could help me out with this problem.
I would be interested to hear from you all.

Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I have but as some of the bits need to be absolutely undyed, I wrote that option off,
also because of the fact that it would cost me about 60 bucks for the new dyes, getting all the colour tones I would need for this project.

But a nice suggestion nonetheless thanks for thinking along with me Mountainm,

Yours sincerely Ruud

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have used a latex resist in watercolor painting = don't even see staining colors bleed under the resist edge.
The key part is to scrub a little dishwashing liquid soap up into the ferrule of the brush _before_ you paint on the resist.
Doesn't seem to alter the effectiveness. Makes hotwater/more soap easy cleanup. Otherwise, the latext sets in the brush and you have no hope
of using it again. Doesn't keep, sold with watercolor painting supplies in small bottles. Really easy to rub off a dry painting.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Robson, that sounds just like the stuff I'm looking for, might you have any suggestions on where to get is,
or might you have a name I could search for in the ever so powerfull internet ^^. Thanks for the help

Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Superb Robson,

Thanks a million for your help, god I love this forum XD
going to order myself some and experiment a little will report back to the forum when I finish the design ^^

Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE