Hello from a New/Wannabe Bushcrafter! Any advice for a new guy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 15, 2014
Surrey
Hi all thought id post a quick introduction about myself and a few questions if anyone would be nice enough to help.

Im 22 years old (in 1 month) from the not so leafy part of surrey (Ashford, bordering Feltham), in saying that we do have some great fishing and im right ontop of Egham hill, Virgina water, Windsor park and such like. My job is as an Plumber and electrician the latter of which im still studying for my qualification, and in my free time i do allot of work in the gym, reading, fishing, a dabble in martial arts and now bush craft... i hope.Ever since i was a kid i loved watching a bit of Ray Mears and enjoyed being outside, not incredibly sporty i took up fishing of which i enjoy the scenery and being out in nice places more than anything and have decided to "broaden" my survival skill sand pursue a bit of bush craft. So yeah Hi!

What id really appreciate is a heads up on a half decent knife and what you'd consider starter equipment for camping, skinning, carving and such on a bit of a budget of which later on il invest in better quality stuff. What im interested in at the moment is going for walks on egham hill and camping improving my bushcraft skills to the point where i could spend an indefinite amount of time in the "wilds" of England not going cold or hungry. And of course if anyone wants to know a few basic fishing tips or anything to do with the gym or nutrition just ask id be more than happy to help!

Happy Bushcrafting all! :cool:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Fishing is an excellent way to enjoy nature as you generally sit quiet and you can then include bushcraft into your fishing.
Here is a good article on bushcraft kit for the beginner http://frontierbushcraft.com/2012/07/06/bushcraft-on-a-budget-kit/
You don't need to spend lots on kit to enjoy yourself.
For a short while I used to take my bushy gear to sleep in and under when carp fishing, I weighs so much less than a bivvy and bedchair and enabled me to combine the two.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK. :)

Sounds to me like you could do worse than get a Leatherman or similar. They might be a bit expensive for you new, but you can sometimes pick them up fairly cheaply here second-hand (if you're quick).

May 8, 2014
Kansas
Hello and welcome from Kansas. As has been suggested, Mora of any flavor for a knife. Most of all just read everything you can find on the things you're interested in. The posts and articles may take you off on a tangent to other interests. Have fun!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE