New skinning knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Picked up a skining knife when I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago. Might be a little while before I get to use it for it's proper purpose, but it came razor sharp already and I'm a little less hairy as a result. Fits my hand very comforably, and it was one of those "it was made for me" moments.

skinner.jpg

What do other people use for skinning - their standard field knife or what?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats a good looking tool there, Povarian.

I use a small skeletonised Aitor,
With the reasoning being that without scales or wooden handle - its easier to clean, just run it under hot water and let it dry. It has a short blade of about 40mm and a gut hook and a bottle opener which I've never used. There was a short length of chord looped through the frame but I've taken that off again for ease of keeping it clean. The sheath is not up to much but would I really want to be sheathing a gorey knife in a prized leather pouch?

Nice one

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That looks very nice.
I've always just used the knife I have on me.
Recently that's been my Woodlore but it could be a Fox folder or I'm going to try the Grohmann knife I made to see how that works.

Let us know how yours works out when you try it.

Cheers

Mark

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
The skinning or hunting knife I use depends on where I am and what I'm hunting. When in the U.K. I hunt rabbit and pigeon and so my M.L. Knives 4inch utility fits the bill nicely. On the rare occasion (its only happened twice unfortunately) when I have been in Canada I have carried either a Schrade PH1 or a C.R.K.T. Chugach Range for hunting whitetail or mule deer and elk.
None of the knives has ever let me down
Regards
Tack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE