New School's on the block so to speak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Very good points Richard and well raised.

I would also like to point out one last thing - while I worked for Woodlore (undoubtedly the foremost school in the uk) All the instructional team where part-timers in one form or another - all except Ray and the office staff of course.

Did that effect our level of knowledge or our ability to teach our subject?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
HI.

I have been known to teach martial arts from time to time. I know I could earn vastly more money teaching it as a business. Charging for gradings every couple of months shortening the class duration increasing the number of students per class, etc. At present I have a truly loathsome job that pays a pittance I am tempted.

However the reason we teach hopefully is to pass on the best knowledge we can. I don't agree that to be professional you have to be full time.

There are great part time instructors and full time but there are also some seriously crap ones as well.

I hope people on here are not seeking more regulation of the bushcraft world. Seeking ever more standardisation and certification, next there will be a NVQ in Friction fire lighting. Becareful what you wish for you might just get it.

What do others think is there a need for a bushcraft instructor award?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The military term 'survival instructor' is a good feather in the cap, then I would say that as I have been one, but it doesnt necessarily carry across to the civilian world in everyway.

Whether you've done SCBC, PCBC or whatever doesn't necessarily mean your a good commander, I have served with some excellent soldiers who never even made it onto a JNCO cadre and I have seen some officers and SNCO'S who frankly I wouldnt have followed into the NAFFI for NAFFI BREAK- equally I have taught military survival instructors, namely from the R.A.F, and while excellent students and instructors in their own rights they, like all military instructors, are trained to teach exatly what the pamphlet tells so them, even with the best will in the world they are restricted.

Further to this military survival usually means E&E the exact opposite to what should be taught in the civilian world - for the injured or lost hiker being found is their ultimate goal and here is where the military and civilian instruction must differ - and that is forgotting about kits ect too for here the difference is even more dramatic.

Speaking from experience, Military survival and most areas of bushcraft are as alike as chalk and cheese and while it is undoubtedly good to know and have practical experience of both it is not totally necessary - I know some good bushcraft instructors who would be as tactically aware as my dog.

Civilian survival and bushcraft are also different beasts - bushcraft should be focused on primitive living skills, teaching conservation and respect for nature, teaching the student to understand and live in harmony with the natural world around them. Civilian survival on the other hand is totally UN-PC - it is about keeping yourself alive until rescued (usually 72 hours being the expected time span) and if that means raping the local enviroment of all its resources then you would do it (having taken various aspects of your situation into concideration first of course).

As for regulation - no that is the last thing we should bring into bushcraft. Bushcraft is a gentle subject, loved by both the student and the instructor, it is something in the blood. Regualtion would kill it, just like our sue you culture is destroying so many things today - when it snows children cant have snowball fights or be allowed out to play for fear of their parents sueing the school for example. Can you imagine the day when a bushcraft student wasnt allowed to use a knife upon a course for fear that if they cut themself they would sue the instructor? No - well that is regualtion for you - all courses would end up as demonstration only with students signing disclaimer after disclaimer and the one thing which is most important - the one reason you should go on a course - practical hands on experience, would be a thing of the past.

In all seriousness a well thought out code of practise wouldn't hurt, but as as with all things its a fine idea until people get involved for as with all laws, regualtions and red tape the only people who really benefit in the end are the lawyers.

That is my humble opinion be it right or wrong.

Taq

Jan 18, 2004
Swansea
having read some of the comments on whether or not an instructor is full time or not......
I personally wouldn't care if the instructor was a ballet dancer Monday to Friday, as long as he knew his subject and was good at teaching it during a course. Surely it is better to find an excellent teacher, albeit a part-time one, than a poor one who is full time.
I also think unless a school was utterly incompetent and dangerous, you couldn't demand your money back when a course has started. I think it is up to you to do your research properly - personal recommendations, etc... Whatever is industry standard in your job is no reason to apply it in schools that teach Bushcraft, unless it would be of benefit. This is one of the things that I think is so good about this site. You can get an honest reaction to a course.

Just my humble 0.02% opinion

D

Deathcap

I thought i just have to say that i do agree with Taq, i do believe that if somebody or persons want to start teaching bushcraft or is already teaching part-time and they are good and passionate about there subject then it can only be a good thing more the merrier. Not every body can be a fulltime instructor, with the new bushcrafts sites starting up keeps the subject fresh, may be they have some thing new to offer the paying public besides only the good one will make it.

J

JeremyH

This is all v. interesting but are not some folks missing a point?
I see bushcraft as being at one with nature - therefore if one is prepared to subscibe to this then such commercial values need to be re-thought. Not too sure how though! If one attends a course in this field, the knowledge base has a price and therefore it should be paid for. Granted some instructors/teachers are not right for some folks. Personally the military style is not for me, however it does have it's place undoubtedly. However knowlege that is valueable
must have a valued and unfortunately the only way of showing this, in our soceity is by cash. Hard fact! It is all too easy to knock a 'product' and we
often do it unwittingly. The succesful schools will survive, those that do not will not! I am lucky enough to make my living from sharing nature with others. It is a great privilage. Charging is very difficult but until there is another way I and others in the outdoors/nature field cannot feed/house/transport ourselves/families in this soceity without cash! I have recently attended a course - it cost me twice what I would charge for the same time birding but that was my choice. (It was money well spent). Good debating!

Jeremyh

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yes, there have been some good debating on here ... however, I want to clear one thing up. I've been saying that "customers" need to make sure that they get what they've been promised (contracted if you want to be legal about it). A big part of this is doing research into what you want and what's on offer. Also, I want to clear up the fact that I don't believe that courses should be free or that people should ask for their money back at the drop of a hat - I'm not. However, if you are choosing to part with your cash, the least you can do is make sure you are signing up to what you want and that you then get what you paid for. That's all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE