New pocket axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I thought I would post this purely as an "interest" item.

A while back Jimbo got me interested in the power of the "mini" axe. I have wanted to experiment with one for a while but was reluctant to commit the cash for a GB mini.

On another forum I saw mention of a Wetterlings mini. Couldn't find a source until weaver stepped in (cheers mate :You_Rock_ ). Here it is

Here it is - 10" long at the longest point

315893615_ae615369e2.jpg

Or with a point of comparison - next to my Wetterlings Larger Hunting Axe and Laplander saw

315893619_39510e2d0c.jpg

First impressions are....better overal heft than a Granny B mini but (as always) not near as well finished.

The handle is dry, the ring wedge poorly fitted, the profile uneven and poorly ground

Bad buy? Not a bit of it. It was £15 (as opposed to nearer 50 for a GB mini) and nothing I can't sort out in an evening!

All axes need the grind to be hand finished - its a few hours work.

An hour on the haft and it will be passed over to Singteck for a new mask. Then we'll take it out, find a baton and see what it can do!

Red

Reactions: Graham_S

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice one Red,
I'll be watching your progress with this one. I have a cheapy axe that has cleaned up well, I just want to shorten the haft on it to make it a bit more pack friendly, though 10 " does sound a bit optimistic.
Was the source a private deal or somewhere we can all peer at?

Cheers

Ogri the trog

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ebay trader in the US that weaver put me onto mate. I sent him a message. He sent me an axe for £7 postage (airmail) took 4 days! So its fair to say it cost £22 delivered - still think thats a bargain sompared to a GB mini!

If you want a link just say

Red

Edit to add

Too small? Can't so much with a small axe?

This is the picture Jimbo showed me to prove "its not what you've got, its what you do with it" :eek:

14splittoend.jpg

(through kind permission of the master axeman - Old Jimbo)

Now its fair to say it'll be a cold day in hell when I know half the amount about axes, however, in the spirit of many other threads, if I don't try, I won't learn!

Check out the size of the Vaughan mini in the end of the trunk!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I have been thinking the same actually, Carry a GB tomahawk with a short handle and then use that to make a long handle when needed. Don't know how big is the head :rolleyes:

Sorry off topic :p

singteck

PS: Have to compare that one to the GB mini!! :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
singteck

Its got all the finish stripped off the handle and the blade half re-profiled right now. I'll finish up over the weekend and hope that Jack has sent the bill hooks out and I'll give you both to work on.

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
jesus christ singtech could give up work with all the leather work jobs hugh keeps giving him lol
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll post a "finished" picture Phil - thing is, it won't look much different! You have to see the bevel up close to see the difference.

Still I'll post one - you never know (it'll look nicer with a proper mask anyway) ;)

Red

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
That looks handy. I've enjoyed reading Jimbo on axes too. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it works out for you. A quick question: how does a hawk compare to a hatchet? I know you can use a baton with a hatchet. How does it work with a hawk that doesn't have a poll on the back to hit? Todd

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
That looks like a good buy, Red. That might be just the christmas present my wife didn't know she wanted to buy me.

It sounds like that's probably the best budget/ beginner axe out there. Do you think that's a fair assessment? Wetterlings seem highly rated and £15 is cheap. The size would suit someone like me that doesn't have their own forest.

Here's the big one: Does anyone know a UK source for wetterlings? People talk about them a lot on here, so there must be one, right? I'll ask on BB as well and let you know if someone knows.

I checked online all over the shop, but they're scarce to absent..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Philaw,

Id wouldn't be my first choice as an "only" axe. For that, go for something with an 18" to 20" haft (a Wetterlings Large Hunters, Gransfors Bruks Small Forest, Roselli Large All Round)

This little baby is Tiny. I have bigger knives!

Try Andrew at www.outdoorcode.co.uk for a GB or Roselli.

These guys sell Wetterlings but, personally, I won't deal with them (nuff sed)

http://www.essentialadventuregear.com

If you want a Wetterlings by mail (and you really should ask to see a few and check them over - see the thread on "selecting an axe")

Try this guy - its cheaper even with the US shipping - his name is Ragnar - great guy

http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

Red

You are going to end up with a very nice little hatchet after a bit of work!
At first I was a sceptic about tiny hatchets, because the one I carry is even smaller and really does look like a kid's toy. After a couple of years, though, it's my number one tool. Naturally I always hope that if I break a leg out in the bush, that I'll have a bigger tool around to make splints, crutches and a fire, but often those bigger tools get set down while I haul logs and such.
That big log was split up some more and then it was easy to get bits off to have fires - quite a few - until the remainder got washed away. I'd cheated a bit and used a saw to section up a big driftwood branch to make the wedges, but it wouldn't have been harder, just more time consuming, using only the hatchet. Shaping wedges could have been done with a Mora and baton, and I did try that method later. It just comes down to having a log split by the time the wedges are made with a knife and baton.
The big plus for me is being able to break lower dead conifer branches off trees, lay them along a log and drive the tiny hatchet through the branch into the log (using a baton with such tiny hatchets). Then with a bit of twisting I can get the split opened in both directions, and repeat until I have matchwood and a fire. A heavy duty knife can be driven point first through the branch into the log to work the same - but on one occasion I ended up with a knife throwing atlatl when the knife came free, while the branch it was stuck through was really bent...
If a person will think "outside the box" a little, and practise, it's amazing what a tiny hatchet is capable of. I often use mine to make fires even if I have big tools along, just for practise.
People will still look at it and laugh at the little toy - but being a non threatening toy-like thing is a virtue too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE