New pocket axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hollowdweller,

Just weighed mine. Its between 14 and 15oz and 10" long. Its haft feels less "toylike" to me than a GB mini although without doubt you will have to work on the bevel a bit.

As all Wetterlings, the mask is much better than the shammy leather tat that GB sell although its still rivetted.

Still working on it but I chopped some 8" kindling tonight with it and it was very easy. Shave a nice fuzzy too. Its over to Singteck soon. The helve has been rubbed to 00000 and oiled - its like silk now :D

Red

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Red,

I've got one but I can't remember, what's the mini? Like 12 oz?

That actually sounds really good. A few more ounces than a mini but still under a pound.

Like to see a pic when you get it all done if you don't mind, and one in the hand? :burnout:

Most of that greater weight will be because of the thicker handle. I'd expect it to lose up to an ounce with drying over time even with better wood. The big problem with really light tiny hatchets such as the Vaughan is that the handles have to be super thin to make for the very light weight. It's all trade-offs...

A hawk has a softer temper, and you don't want to risk deforming the eye, Todd. It can still make wooden wedges just fine. Instead of batoning into a log to make an intial crack, just make some chops to make a start and then use wooden wedges. It'll take more time and practise to open up a crack, but it will work.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Hello, I got one of these wetterlings a few month ago, they are great and well priced.
I just use a lot the one I bought, and for the price, they are a threat....

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Got my hands on that little thing..... very nice! Here's a comparison :D

323323552_701bf2ed42.jpg

323323555_9a890bc6e2.jpg

323323550_5c707680d5.jpg

Looks like what Jimbo would like!

singteck

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great pictures mate - thanks - makes an interesting comparison!

I think the shot showing the different length of the head and profiles are very interesting!

Red

(tried the baccy yet?) ;)

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
They are very different, those minis...... can I bash some woods before I returm him??? :D The Wettling almost looks like a tomahawk.

Haven't try the baccy yet but I have been trying to get that EPM for a while now. Thanks!!! :You_Rock_

singteck

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
singteck said:
They are very different, those minis...... can I bash some woods before I returm him??? :D The Wettling almost looks like a tomahawk.

Haven't try the baccy yet but I have been trying to get that EPM for a while now. Thanks!!! :You_Rock_

singteck

Sure you can give it a go mate - I haven't really finished that dressing yet but the bevel is at least fairly even now!

For everyone else, here is the Wetterlings mini in the new suit of clothes that is the first step in the little project that Singteck is working up for / with me (I supply silly ideas, he supplies talent and craftsmanship - seems fair :D )

325980418_c15af94c67.jpg

325980417_303a92db2b.jpg

What do you think?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oetzi,

Can't find the book at the moment (sorry)

Heres a link to the guy selling them

E-bay Seller

Thoroughly nice guy and included a free hard copy of "an axe to grind" which was nice

Red

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
thanks a lot for the idea ...

Made me a bit nervous, did some reading on Oldjimbo´s axecyclopedia, had a look at outdoors-magazine (Steve´s tomahawk) and suddenly I knew what to do:
Long ago I´ve got two nearly wrecked German army hatchets (Klauenbeil TL 5110-0004) and now rusting in the don´t_know_yet_what_to_use_for pile....

To avoid last saturday afternoon become another lazy saturday afternoon I played a little with the small angle grinder (plus a bucket full of cooling water), different files, sandpaper and voilá! a new mini axe was reborn from scrap.
The hatchet head came with 907g - the complete mini axe is now 470g with still enough material to fine tune :D

Again thanks a lot for that brilliant inspiration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE