New pocket axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I agree. Knives and axes are very personal items I think, using one without asking is tantamount to having a bit with your wife whilst you are at work, in my eyes! I have let a few people use my axe, although one already owned an axe, he wanted to try the Small Forest Axe and I wanted a go on his Hunters axe.

No comments on wife swapping, please!!:rolleyes:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I agree. Knives and axes are very personal items I think, using one without asking is tantamount to having a bit with your wife whilst you are at work, in my eyes! I have let a few people use my axe, although one already owned an axe, he wanted to try the Small Forest Axe and I wanted a go on his Hunters axe.

No comments on wife swapping, please!!:rolleyes:

So, are you saying, you will let your mates play with your chopper, but not your wife???:tapedshut

I was shown a trick on my bench fitting phase of my apprenticeship to rub chalk onto a file to reduce the bite and to give a cleaner finish to metal. Also, to avoid really deep scratches, clean the file regularly with a file card, basically a wire brush that removes any metal filings from between the teeth of the file.

Just a few tricks that may help others in the future.

For real clogged files or if you haven't got a Carding brush to clean then use a bit of copper pipe push it along the file teeth ie side to side a few strokes you will cut ridges in the copper and this will push out the bits in the troughs for double cut files you need to go both ways this will also clean deeper than a file carding brush as each stroke will also re sharpen the points on the copper

ATB

Duncan

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Here is some of the latest instruction recieved from Red, it's from a PM but I asked Red if I could post it up here as part of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Red
I sent the stuff this afternoon Jules so you should get it tomorrow or Monday.

I put in some pink buffing compound (my favourite) and also some grey (a little coarser but still good)

I also included a selection of fine grade abrasive papers - if you want to you can use these before the compound to work up a mirror shine on the bevel. If not I hope they come in handy for knife sharpening

Its nothing - just a few bits out of my sharpening drawer

Anyway, there are some finer abrasive papers in there. If you want a perfect axe I would work through the papers till at least 1200 grit.

Then wrap a piece of scrap leather over your hone, rough side uppermost and crayon all over it with the bubuffing compound. Strop the bit by dragging it over the leather poll first. The compound turns black as it polishes up the metal

If you have no leather use soft cloth or even the inside of a cardboard cereal packet

Shout for more instructions when you are ready

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I'm halfway through writing the axe sharpening tutorial. Its going to have to be a huge post...I wonder if anyone will read it :D?

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In that case DD I'll keep going.

Its got to the boring "ever wish you haven't started something" stage so I'm just whinging

Still - I've got "John Chisom" on to keep me company!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE