New Pack Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Looking at a new pack for christmas, budget of around £100. Im looking for some thing between 30-50 litres, it will be for bushcraft, foraging, non technical walking (have my posh osprey for that), abit of work and stalking. So preferably not orange :). Im having a serius look at the Rugged River Roamer, or a Loden roe sack from Bushwear (http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=313609&ClassID=252) I hear good things about the sabre range to so they are an option, so any feed back is good feedback for me.

Thanks

Sam

Sam

I would firstly consider what you're going to be doing with it / using it for, and secondly decide what your deciding factors will be - ie are you just going to use it for the odd bimble / day out / overnighter; will you be walking a short distance from car to fixed location or travelling over a distance; is image more important than function / features etc.

I have a Sabre 45 and really like its functionality and flexibility (with PLCE pockets & plenty of attachment points). I use a smaller Munro for shorter trips. I would recommend either if that's what you're after, although neither are anything like the Rugged River or Bushwear packs you've mentioned.

There are a large range of sacks out there which will cost anything from a few quid to many hundreds of pounds, although more cost doesn't always make for a better bit of kit. I guess what I'm trying to say is remember you don't have to blow your budget all on a bag, if you find something suitable cheaper, then that means you've saved something to put towards the next bit of kit you're after. I'd also suggest you look at ex-army / surplus kit as this can be very reasonably priced, and sometimes used kit can give you the best of both worlds - it will have the functionality and look the part (especially the older stuff).

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
+1 on the Karrimor Sabre 45 with the removable side pockets. I believe the pockets are 13L each so there is loads of flexability. Carrys comfortable and very well made. Take a look at one. Cheers!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Another vote for the Sabre 45 with side pockets. I had the original Karrimor Hot Earth years ago as a climbing pack, until some tow rag nicked it at Glastonbury. The Sabre 45 is a big improvement over the original ( very good ) pack, and the side pockets make it one of the most versatile packs out there.
I got mine in a very fetching Coyote Tan off Mark ( posts on here as Lurch ) at Lakeland Bushcraft Trading.
One thing that isn't mentioned in any of the blurb that I've read about it is that there's a hydration pack pocket inside the pack.

Cheers, Michael.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
just twigged sorry, i thought he was a guy making good sacks in a shed ! will probably check out his shop next time im up there, have been on the website before

Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE