• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey all,
just a quick intro to me.
My name is James and I live in Scotland (so lucky to have our laws on camping) not really done much in the way of internet forums and I only post if I have an opinion that's not already been said so my post count wont shoot up fast. Done camping since I was a bairn and I just love the outdoors and the lack of technology when I am there. Knackered my back a number of years ago so just getting back into bushcrafting and it like seeing an old friend for the first time in ages. I don't practice to much in the way of light packing as I am a big laddie so the first thing to lighten would have to be me belly :)
I am looking to move from tents to hammocks and have my eye on Tenth Wonder Hammocks, the reviews I have seen so far have all been very positive so I think that will be my first shot at hammock camping.
I enjoy trying to make things (trying being the operative word at times) i have managed to make a paracord bullwhip which is great to use but I hated making it as I was stupid not to wear gloves while braiding the cord. Just started taking a more serious stab at leather crafting as I really enjoy it, its not cheap but get some real enjoyment when someone asks me to make something and they love the finished article (gives me a big head but I get real nervous in case its not what they wanted) plus it gives me the chance to make stuff for myself and my friends when we cant find the item we want.
I try not to take life to serious as its way to short and there is enough crap that happens in life without me adding to it :p
Oh and while I mind I chose the username Trilbyinthewoods as I always wear a Trilby (started off as a way to stop the bald bits getting burned in the summer) and I dont know anyone else that wears a Trilby while camping.

All the best

James

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi James, Welcome to Bushcraft UK . Hope you make lots of new friends. I like your introduction. I am sure that you will enjoy hammocking, and meeting up with some local members from time to time. For forty years or more I have been a Tent camper, but once I tried the Hammock, that was me hooked. I like the idea of your Bull Whip, I bet that took some time to make ? Especially getting bulk at the thick end. The Trilby and Bullwhip, conjure up images of Indiana Jones. Just watch that no one rolls boulders down on you from above. L.0.L. I usually wear a Tilly Hat or oftener a Leather Aussie Style hat. I have an Aussie Akubra hat but it has a huge brim, and is a bit over the top. You don't need an umbrella if you have it on. There are not too many "meet ups" in the Forth Clyde area, but I am sure you will meet some of us around, before too long.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Welcome on board James.
I enjoyed your introduction.Most eloquent and friendly.
You will have lots of fun on this forum I think.
Cheers , Simon

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Welcome to Bcuk James, you'll love it here, tons of people wanting to teach fresh green folk in leatherwork like myself the ropes.
The community here is amazing, if there was away to start a country only for bcuk members I would ^^
And I will tell my friend that he is no longer the only one with a Trilby in the woods XD
Yours sincerely Ruud

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
Always been a fan of the trilby myself, I have a habit of getting drunk and losing them though. In fact I am pretty much hatless at the moment having just lost my favourite waxed cotton brimmed hat on a days extended pub crawl with a crowd of friends :/

Will :)

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Hi James

After a decade living in Scotland I came back down to England and with it came our lovely camping laws :( Had my first tattoo in Leith! Look forward to your posts.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE