New member wanting to get stuck in!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All, I'm Tom and Im purchasing a 4 acre wood in Worcestershire, Im really keen to get started with some bushcraft, so far my experience has been watching a lot of Ray Mears on TV and I attended 1 bow making course in glousestershire which I wrote up on my blog here http://1000months.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/woodcraft

Basically Im keen to meet like minded people and learn whatever I can, but first of all I have a huge rhodadendrum problem to clear! http://1000months.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/woodland ownership

Looking forward to getting to know other member more soon.

cheers

Tom

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I live in swindon and depending where worcs I don't mind helping to clear some woodland.I can probably lay my hands on a chainsaw and safety trousers.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Hi Tom and welcome to BCUK :)

Kukri handles were made from Rhoedidendrum;) But I believe the the dust is quite toxic:( so take take care if you want to make anything from it dude !

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Why doesnt someone who owns a woodland and wants tyo make friends ever join that lives close to me! :confused:

:)Hi Tom, and welcome

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Lucky chap! Rhododendron is great firewood in a stove - wouldn't be so sure on an open fire (although it says you have a woodburner). If I was nearer I'd plummet in with my friend Stihl... :D

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Welcome Tom sounds like you will make lots of friends with having a woodland maybe a moot of some type with all who can make it helping clear the rhodo in return for free camping and a good getogether

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Tom welcome to the forum, im not in the area at the moment but will be next summer, im moving up that way, so if you still need some help in the Autumn give me a bell as i have a chain saw and will be willing to come over if its not tooo far from where im moving to....

regards

chris.

Wow what a friendly response! I have been a member on a few different forums over the years for different interests and I this one is warmest welcome by miles! Really looking forward to getting to know and hopefully meet other members in the near future.

My wood is still going through the solicitors so and it takes a few weeks to complete, but I will get in touch with the couple of people who offered to come along and lend a hand with clearing, I can deff supply food and maybe some people will want to take some of the larger chunks of rhododendrum for turning or crafts? Some is almost 12inch diameter and 40ft tall! I'm trying to research more on the issue of having the bonfires when clearing, there is a lot of mixed opinions on if the smoke is a health hazard. I will obviously tell any helpers to avoid breathing any in, but sometimes you get caught out and inhale a bit as I did on the first day. I asked the guy who currently manages this wood and others and he said they never heard of it being an issue, so its a really tricky one as there is tons and tons to clear and I need help but oviously want to do it super safely especially if volunteers are envolved.

Here's a pic of my first fire

IMG_0858.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE