New Meals...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ok, I'm looking for some nice winter warmer recipes.

I'm trying to expand my range of meal options so I'm looking for the sort of thing you love to make or your mum made for you. Preferably quick simple meals that need 1 or two pots and could be done on a campfire if I want. Mind you, I'm not averse to doing nice long slow cooked meals either :)

Want to share anything?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hi. It's got to be a cottage pie with peas and carrots in the mince,and as a special treat cheesy mash on top. Cheato version tin of mince beef in gravy some tinned baby carrots and peas instant mash. Assemble and bake in oven.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Get a pork shoulder. Smother it in honey or maple syrup or a fruit molasses, mixed in with some cumin, fennel seed (or star anise), chilli, garlic, smoked paprika. Sit it in a baking tray on a layer of sage and dried fruit (figs, arpricots, cherries are good). Put it in a slow oven for five hours. Eat with mash and horseradish with collard greens all covered in a fruity/sagey gravy you have made by adding some water to what's left in the pan after you have taken the meat out (maybe dilute with a bit of a chicken stock cube and a bit of cornflour if it is too strong/sweet for your taste). The more greens you eat with it, the better you will feel. w/Beer. Then scotch. :)

Can't ever wait til just after Easter, for then there is a lambganza with wild garlic leaves to cook with.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You English......
Spam cuisine.

Has to be slow cooked, in one pot.
Goulash.
Irish stew.
Jamaican/ Cayman beef Stew

Google ’ german eintopf’ or ’ Deutscher traditioneller eintopf’ for the real stuff.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Bacon pudding. Smoked bacon, onions, tomatoes and parsley wrapped up in a light suet pudding crust, and rolled like a Swiss roll before cooking. You’d probably need to prepare it in advance, but it can be baked or steamed slowly. When served with mash, broad beans and parsley sauce it is the food of the gods, and one of the best winter dinners I have ever eaten. My mum was a bacon pud guru, but my wife isn’t keen so I will need to make it myself soon. Burp.....

Reactions: Billy-o

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love macaroni cheese but I add an egg to the sauce put in dish grate cheese on top and bake untill hot and golden. I've also added ham or bacon to the sauce. Last few experiments combining cauliflower cheese and macaroni cheese. Now I do a nice cheese and garlic sauce with pasta leek and parsnips , or tuna sweetcorn and pasta.or ham and peas and pasta.The combinations are endless and campfire friendly as well as oven or stove top.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Slow cooker shin of beef stew with carrots, potatoes, onion, celery and turnip. Add some dumplings in near the end, then when the dumplings are "cooked" taking the pot part of the slow cooker out and place in a hot oven to crisp the top of the dumplings a bit.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Get a pork shoulder. Smother it in honey or maple syrup or a fruit molasses, mixed in with some cumin, fennel seed (or star anise), chilli, garlic, smoked paprika. Sit it in a baking tray on a layer of sage and dried fruit (figs, arpricots, cherries are good). Put it in a slow oven for five hours. Eat with mash and horseradish with collard greens all covered in a fruity/sagey gravy you have made by adding some water to what's left in the pan after you have taken the meat out (maybe dilute with a bit of a chicken stock cube and a bit of cornflour if it is too strong/sweet for your taste). The more greens you eat with it, the better you will feel. w/Beer. Then scotch. :)

Can't ever wait til just after Easter, for then there is a lambganza with wild garlic leaves to cook with.
This recipe could easily be converted to campfire by just using a dutch oven rather than a baking tray. Put the DO on the coals and shovel more coals on the lid.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Red Beans & Rice (of course the name belies the fact that sausage is also included)

Remember "Red Beans" is just a Cajun word for Kidney Beans. Final dish:

20170411-red-beans-and-rice-08-1500x1125.jpg

The recipe in this link is a good one but you can substitute canned beans for the dried ones to peed up the process by 8 to 18 hours. You can also substitute any good, course grind smoked sausage for the Andouille, and adjust the spices and herbs per taste https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...ipe.html/RK=2/RS=CGiRuELVBFSXP8kztPRyQUM4Cyw-

Reactions: Robson Valley

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
.... leek and parsnips

For leeks: steam and then allow to sit in a mustary and garlicky vinaigrette until they cool

For parsnips: roll in oil, salt, flour and parmesan plus any herb of your choice before roasting .. substitute duck or goose grease for the oil for maximum effect

.. or, for a sublime and nuanced soup starter, boil parsnips (mash or discard, who cares) add a bit of salt and reduce the water to about a third. Put a slice of green onion in the bottom of the bowl. :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Any stew based recipe works. I use a Potjie, which is very similar to a Dutch oven but more cauldron shaped. I pour oil into a heated Potjie and then chuck in my meat to brown it. Next is the chopped veg and a packet stew mix. Add water to to desired consistency. Lid on. Coals on top. Stir when u remember. It's done when your beer/single malt has been enjoyed.... I mop everything up with buttered fresh bread if I have it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Cowboy stew well that's what we called it. Baked beans sausages tinned tomatos and chunks of potato
Precooked sausages or use leftovers slice into chunks
Peel and cook potatoes dice into 1 inch cubes mix all ingredients together in a pan add some paprika seasoning heat eat and enjoy. I often had to make cheap and filling meals,and this was one the kids loved served up with a chunk of crusty bread

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE