New lightweight stove concept

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A good idea if you're driving in and a ground fire might not be suitable / possible.
Seems more of a picnic piece than anything else :dunno: and after the first few it might have been cheaper to buy a chainsaw :bluThinki :Thinkingo :thinkerg: .

He looks more like Elvis than an outdoors man. I expected him to burst into song at any moment.

Same here, but not Elvis. I thought ...

5660-psy_gangnam_style_2_420x250.jpg

A suitably bushy parody might be 'DanCam Style'?

And then I found this ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CayMeza487M

:yikes: :rofl:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A good idea if you're driving in and a ground fire might not be suitable / possible.
Seems more of a picnic piece than anything else :dunno: and after the first few it might have been cheaper to buy a chainsaw :bluThinki :Thinkingo :thinkerg: .

Same here, but not Elvis. I thought ...

5660-psy_gangnam_style_2_420x250.jpg

A suitably bushy parody might be 'DanCam Style'?

And then I found this ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CayMeza487M

:yikes: :rofl:

Nice one Phil! Lovin mateys running on the spot in the car park :lmao:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It'd be interesting to see whether similar could be knocked up with a decent size auger

Augers usually struggle when cutting into end grain as the screw end breaks the fibres and doesn't pull in so well.
Might work but its a lot harder work.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It'd be interesting to see whether similar could be knocked up with a decent size auger :bluThinki :thinkerg:

Thought you might appreciate it :rofl: . Not quite in the same league as http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OnFMQ2NAgyk#! :lmao:

That still freaks me out a little and I still get it sung to me :lmao:

I think a screw auger will just do it, but if not an extended Forstner bit or length of suitable stainless pipe with teeth filed into it and mounted in a drill would do it too.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Or do one for free.....

[video=youtube;OkAsitmJHeo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAsitmJHeo[/video]

After ending up with a sliver of steel (well more of a shell shaped bit of steel from a conchoidal fracture actually) in my thumb after hitting two hammers together and realising that bit of metal wouldn't have been slowed down by an eyelid I'm not right keen on battering two hardened steel hammer faces together like he did there.

Just in case someone on here has seen the episode where the tached and the ginger oddbod on Mythbusters failed to produce the same effect and called this a myth, let me assure you that its not and suggest maybe they just weren't hitting them hard enough.
As evidenced on THIS page.

Also if anyone looks at loads of old hammer faces you'll notice that quite a few have conchoidal sections blown off the edge. They leave the hammer face at quite a rate of knots and hurt when they hit, getting one in the eye doesn't bear thinking about.

[h=4][/h]

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I made one today from a Lawson Cypress log for a laugh. After drilling half way down with the 40mm brace and bit, swapped to the homemade holesaw mounted in my coring drill (from an old stainless vacuum cleaner pipe) and it went straight through. I couldn't be bothered to get the chainsaw out, so made the firebowl and pot grooves with a chisel and sabre saw.

I'll see how it burns this weekend in camp :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I made one today from a Lawson Cypress log for a laugh. After drilling half way down with the 40mm brace and bit, swapped to the homemade holesaw mounted in my coring drill (from an old stainless vacuum cleaner pipe) and it went straight through. I couldn't be bothered to get the chainsaw out, so made the firebowl and pot grooves with a chisel and sabre saw.

I'll see how it burns this weekend in camp :)

Have you weighed it yet? :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Get some pics, sounds interesting

Have you got any snow down there yet? There were some great cloud fronts moving in up here about an hour ago but nothing's coming down yet.

I even saw a giant v-formation of geese heading north west when I walked out of the office, there must have been 100 birds, making a right racket they were.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'll bang some onto the forum tomorrow when I get some flame to it.

No snow yet, looking v good for next week though. Might be able to get the boggan out instead of dragging a bloody tire through the endless mud :censored:

I'll be happy if I just get a dusting of snow on the tarp sunday morning. :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Augers usually struggle when cutting into end grain as the screw end breaks the fibres and doesn't pull in so well.
Might work but its a lot harder work.

Yup, but the effort's got to be a whole lot less than lugging a chainsaw or pre-cored logs in.

That still freaks me out a little and I still get it sung to me :lmao:

I'm not surprised Mr. Doppelgänger :yikes:

... After drilling half way down ...

Sooo ... Only half way there?

And you wonder why http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OnFMQ2NAgyk# gets sung to you ???

Not yet, I was going to weight the ashes-the only way it'll ever be ultralight.

:rofl: :bluThinki Perhaps ultra light refers to it being a good burner :dunno:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Never mind all that starter palaver, just brew a cuppa on your hobo on it and it'll be holding a good smoulder, bung the hobo contents down the middle and you'll have your hot washing water within 2 mins with a toasty fire for the rest of the day :) I suppose the improved airflow makes a faster, more even burn.... I fancy trying a tied-together-logs one next ( I think they're other N eastern european? Dunno what though)

I had to leave it at the fire last meet and when I got back, the fire nanny had put it in the communal firepit for a cradle where it made a smashing heart to the fire that lasted the workparty all a december day, they're fabulous things ;)

521413_4545858438966_1588182834_n.jpg

I thought it was a bit safer for the young uns too, they can get close n watch it, learn about fire without poking the communal to death :) We saw them at festivals, sometimes folk would artificially burn the candles part way through by dowsing in water for tables, footstools etc for the fire pits and sell them afterwards (if they survived!)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE