New lightweight stove concept

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Got it downloaded on the ipod so I want a rendition on the way up north in a few weeks :)

Your livin' on a prayer with that. ;)

I'll only get halfway there if I do, you'll crash on purpose to stop the awful wailing!

I'll leave it there, the my pun quota for the day has been reached...

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Record it and stick it on here for me too please! Sounds my kinda journey, have an epic one ;)

On the candle front, we cut yr old pine trunks and it burned beautifully, this one was done a year ago so they store well outside. We could do a roaring trade over the area round Market Harborough if we could get the trunks :)

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Record it and stick it on here for me too please! Sounds my kinda journey, have an epic one ;)

On the candle front, we cut yr old pine trunks and it burned beautifully, this one was done a year ago so they store well outside. We could do a roaring trade over the area round Market Harborough if we could get the trunks :)

Thanks Sal, the trip was an epic one. :) No singing though-too busy trying not to slide off the road in all that snow Did you make one from pine?

I'd forgotten to post the results up for this.
It burned for much longer than the Swedish candle style made from the same wood ( this was a log of well seasoned Cypress of some sort)

It burnt for 3 hours before the sides started burning through. Another hour saw the thing unable to support the kettle, so it was put on the fire.

Overall, we agreed that it was a massive improvement on the Swedish candle for efficiency. It burnt very hot and cleanly for hours and didn't turn into the usual jet engine that the candles do. Quite impressed. You could cook for the whole evening on one log. :)

Pics to follow if BareThrills sees this and posts them up-I didn't take any of it in action.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Yup,all 3 were pine- the tute I was following reckoned it was best coz of the pitch, I expected it to spit and be a beeatch but it burned better than any I've had on an open fire, probably because it's up the grain?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
here you go folks

20130113_134717_zpsde4c4c48.jpg

20130113_141713_zps846f6416.jpg

20130113_140904_zps1fd21cb7.jpg

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
These used to be made in Canada about 30 years ago but with a twist. They would ram sawdust into a steel bucket with a vertical and horizontal dowelling pre installed then when the pail was full of sawdust the dowelling was carefully pulled out. There was a hole in the side of the pail to enable the dowel at the bottom to be pulled out. This created a draft hole at the bottom and a vertical hole to light the fire in. I guess old ideas are new ideas!

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thanks soooo much, Paul, tis fascinating to see a home made one performing beautifully too! Excellent stuff :) Are the recesses in the top (pot supports?) actually neccesary? Do they make the top burn evenly so support a pot longer? What a daft question, am going off to dye my hair suitably blonde... top air flow, right, so it doesn't extinquish the fire :)

Calgarychef, MOST interesting... its easy to think ideas are 'new' simply because we've not heard of them before, the sawdust stove sounds a real innovative use for a byproduct :) Presumably they'd not take a pot so readily without risking crumbling?And do they mix the sawdust with a resin/ similar to enhance rigidity?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE