New Land Rover Defender

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
hi santaman2000

I was under the immpression that the lack of landrovers in the states was down to them not meeting the safety and emission,s regulations !! 2012 will see them being allowed to be sold in the state,s if the rumour,s are true !!

Range Rover (and other Rover vehicles) are and have been available here for ever. The basic defender model (as sold there) doesn't meet our emission standards but a simple engine change would cure that. The reason it wasn't done is because most Americans really want the luxury type SUVs more as a status symbol. so there really just wasn't a market. As I said, personally I'd love one but I'm not a big enough market to be worth their bother.

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
its not the "new" defender but its MY new Defender lol:D
normal_IMG00360-20110915-1227.jpg

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Those 110 crewcabs are lovely, havocsdad, my OH had a works one for 5 or so years, got them everywhere they needed to go with no probs apart from usual service items :) It wasn't anywhere near as bling tho, you must be righteously proud of that one- they're like hens teeth and keep their value better than any other 4x4!

D'ya remember the Judge Dredd 101 conversions? That yella DC100 is so reminiscent of them :)

We've been approached to export old landys to USA- it has to be pre '83 to get round the rules (or did when we researched it)- we've had freinds take an old Enfield bike to Aus and he had to strip it down n rid every inch of every component of oil/ grease etc, righteous nightmare :)

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Those 110 crewcabs are lovely...
I think they call em the "Utility Wagon" and they are indeed cracking. New model variant only available since the 'lumpy bonnet' transit engine IIRC. I think it's the first time LR have produced a 4-door 110 with a hard top. I believe the reason was to offer the benefits of 4 doors, but the cheaper road fund licence of a commercial vehicle.

Lovely motor, havocsdad.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Range Rover (and other Rover vehicles) are and have been available here for ever. The basic defender model (as sold there) doesn't meet our emission standards but a simple engine change would cure that. The reason it wasn't done is because most Americans really want the luxury type SUVs more as a status symbol. so there really just wasn't a market. As I said, personally I'd love one but I'm not a big enough market to be worth their bother.
They dont meet your safety regs either mate - no airbags - they got round it for a while with a roll cage, known as the NAS (N.American Spec.) Defender, but your regs tightened up and it was no more. I also believe you are not allowed diesel engines or some nonsense, but there always has been a V8 petrol option, though usually only offered as limited editions as they are no where near as popular as the diesel blocks over here. Expect this new DC100 to arrive by the boatload though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They dont meet your safety regs either mate - no airbags - they got round it for a while with a roll cage, known as the NAS (N.American Spec.) Defender, but your regs tightened up and it was no more. I also believe you are not allowed diesel engines or some nonsense, but there always has been a V8 petrol option, though usually only offered as limited editions as they are no where near as popular as the diesel blocks over here. Expect this new DC100 to arrive by the boatload though.

The airbags is a simple enough mod to the production line. Roll cages have been required for decades on topless (or soft topped) vehicles. The air bags are required on ALL vehicles.
Most companies offer different versions for the North American market. We are allowed diesel engines; they just have to be the cleaner diesels. As yo said a gasoline engine (or the clean diesel engine) is an easy option for NA production. Diesel just isn't popular here (much to my chagrin) At least that's what the manufacturers keep telling us. Jeep has been promising a diesel version for years but never delivers.

All of those features are simple tweaks to a basic design and don't require a major re-design of a basic utility vehicle.

It seems as if they won't offer diesel because it wouldn't be popular enough to sell enough vehicles (or so the manufacturers believe or at least claim) Same is true of a North American spec Defender.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The airbags is a simple enough mod to the production line. Roll cages have been required for decades on topless (or soft topped) vehicles. The air bags are required on ALL vehicles.

Roll cage, new lighting clusters, additional rear bumper, new power plant, airbags.....

I think they just felt it wasnt worth the hassle for the few vehicles that were being sold there, or that it destroyed the profitability. Especially when you consider they would need to run an additional line to make it.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Roll cage, new lighting clusters, additional rear bumper, new power plant, airbags.....

I think they just felt it wasnt worth the hassle for the few vehicles that were being sold there, or that it destroyed the profitability. Especially when you consider they would need to run an additional line to make it.

Exactly. Not a big enough market. I don't know why they'd need a different lighting cluster though.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Exactly. Not a big enough market. I don't know why they'd need a different lighting cluster though.

Standard stop lights and indicators on a Defender are smaller than the minimum your regulations allow. NAS Defenders used to have these oversize lights. Not a big deal, looks a bit weird though. But I think it was stiffer emissions regs (new engine) and airbags which tipped it over the edge and stopped production of the NAS Defender.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2012
Australia
They do say that a lot in OZ, but if we are being honest that is not from personal experience but often that is because they heard someone else say it !!, and is this the same Toyota that recalled 9.5 million cars worldwide in 2010, all is not exactly healthy in the Toyota garage ??

Land Rover have been their own worst enemy in the past, no question about that, I owned a TDI DEFENDER and a Series 2 Discovery, both were reliable enough but nothing to write home about with the occaisional niggly little faults and the usual oil leaks here and there, and 80 series cruiser would no doubt be more reliable, but this is the past and Land Rover have un-arguably come on leaps and bounds in the last six to eight years alone.

I now drive a Disco3 in Oz, 2006 model bought in 2008 and was Land Rovers last chance with me, now with 170,000kms on it, it has been nothing short of bulletproof - all but for a coolant sensor failing and giving me a low coolant message on the dash and fixed during a service under warranty.

It has taken on the Simpson and Tanami deserts, Googs track, Canning stock route, Kimberley, down the coast of W.A., Coffin bay, Port Lincoln N.P, the Flinders, Gammon and Gawler ranges and now regularly takes on the Victorian high country and Snowy mountain tracks without any fuss whatsoever. Ford ownership did wonders at Land Rover no question (and even more so at Jaguar, 2nd only to Lexus these days in reliabilty)

Land Rover now reliable as a Toyota or Ford, probably not quite if i'm being honest, but as reliable as any Nissan or Mitsubishi certainly, and easily more reliable than any unmodified Jeep, and certainly don't deserve un-reliable tag any more.

But (given the quote below) they have a long road back now at Land Rover marketing to get back the faith in their product that will get Aussie Toyota die hards out of their Cruisers and Lux's, that will be the real test of the new Defender range, but it's a long road back, Aussies are as brand faithfull as they come.

But give the new car (DC100, or probably DC120 for Oz market) a chance before judging it, with the Cruisers becoming an ever more complex Luxury barge, and Nissan Patrols going bling for the Arab/U.S. market, this new vehicle if they get it right should become the new benchmark for an incredibly capable and reliable straight out of the box Expedition tourer.

AS they say in Oz…….

"If you want to get there, drive a Land Rover." "If you want to get back again, drive a Toyota"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Land Rover now reliable as a Toyota or Ford, probably not quite if i'm being honest, but as reliable as any Nissan or Mitsubishi certainly, and easily more reliable than any unmodified Jeep, and certainly don't deserve un-reliable tag any more.......

Unmodified Jeeps usually do better than modified ones over here. Unmodified 200,000-250,000 miles is the average lifespan. Modified is only about half that; likely due to the heavily modified ones getting the hardest use by far.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE